Tournament Poker Bankroll

P

PeteBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AT
Chips
Theres a lot more variance in tournament poker than in cash games and you need an other bankroll management for tournaments. You need a bigger bankroll for example. So who should this bankroll look like when somebody wants to play like tournaments with a 100 - a few hundred bug buy in ? Whitout selling other people a stake from you.

Greetings PeteBoy

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As with everything else in poker "it depends". Tournaments with large fields have higher variance than those with small fields. The higher your edge, the easier it will be to pull out of any downdraft. It also matter, if you are willing to move down, if you lose, and how high your tolerance of swings is. Or if maybe the "bankroll" is not really a bankroll, because you are able and willing to top it up with money from salary or other sources if needed.

Finally it matter, if you play the same games or mix it up. If the latter case your average buyin is more important than the highest one. But of course there is a limit to, how far you can take that concept. If you play a $109 MTT and 99 $1,1 MTTs, your average buyin is 2,18$. But variance is going to be way larger than, if you had played 100 $2,2 MTTs.

To make a long story short for me personally it has always worked well to use a simple 100X rule for MTTs, meaning that the highest, I will buy in for, is 1% of my bankroll. But I will also play cheaper events, so my average buyin is for less than 1%. But if someone always play large field events, and dont want to see massive swings in their bankroll, it can be reasonable to be more conservative than this.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
100x is a perfectly reasonable "rule of thumb", but it is by no means fool proof.

The biggest thing to factor in is that no MTT is the same. The variance in a 5,000 entry tournament is going to be huge compared to a 150 entry tournament and this affects how often and how big your downswings will be and therefore the size of your bankroll.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100 buy ins is a good bankroll for mtt. you can also go for 150- 200 buy ins to feel more confortable.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
In theory most people in the know say the proper bankroll is 100 x 1, $100 you play $1 MTTs and so on as you increase your bankroll.
At least if I have 100 dollars and there is a 5 dollar MTT and I want to play it, I do it.
Cheers;););)(y)(y)(y)

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management