Tough Spot in $1700 WSOP Circuit

J

Jrfar005

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am curious to get other's thoughts on this hand....

Hero in SB 160K stack.
Villain on Button 95K stack. Young pro playing aggressive.
Blinds 1200-2400 with bb ante.
Fold around to Villain who makes it 4800.
Hero has KK, makes it 10,500.

A96 flop

Hero checks. Villain checks.

Js turn. Hero bets 16k. Villain calls.

4s river. A96sJs4s board.

Hero checks. Villain bets 30K.

It was close for me but I folded, and was not happy with how I played the hand.

Would love thoughts on this. Thank You!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am curious to get other's thoughts on this hand....

Hero in SB 160K stack.
Villain on Button 95K stack. Young pro playing aggressive.
Blinds 1200-2400 with bb ante.
Fold around to Villain who makes it 4800.
Hero has KK, makes it 10,500.

A96 flop

Hero checks. Villain checks.

Js turn. Hero bets 16k. Villain calls.

4s river. A96sJs4s board.

Hero checks. Villain bets 30K.

It was close for me but I folded, and was not happy with how I played the hand.

Would love thoughts on this. Thank You!

Thank U 4 Posting.

Did you make it 10500 total or 15300 total?

10.5k total means a call of 5.7k to win a pot of 22.2k

The worst thing we can do is build a medium size pot for a LAG pro to fight for with POS on us.

The problem is a LAG pro does not care what cards they have when they have POS as they are going to try to steal the pot by the river because they can out play us.

So a standard line vs a pro like this is not correct. There are 2 books Kill Phil and Kill Everyone. I recommend them for these spots.

When the board is A96 vs a LAG Pro I would worry more about the 9x 6x 87s 108s combos than the Ax combo.

Hope this helps

:):)

Last edited:
finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a real expert, just have some thoughts.
Young/Aggressive/Pro = often is a GTO player

1) I believe that pre 3bet could be bigger against him, instead of pot size i would bet around 6-7bb. Just because he's aggressive, in position, his 2bb is already there, and you have KK out of position. 6.5BB is a nice invitation to Value town.

2) I think that checking the flop after that 3bet is good in just one case, if you've flopped a set. One rule works well against aggressive players, on the flop it's good to appear weak when you're strong and appear strong when you're weak. It's better to bet those 16K on the flop, instead of the turn. only 2 outs improve your hand, while so many cards can give you extra doubts and fears. Let him decide it on the flop - if he wants to go to the showdown with his cards and full stack in the middle, cause such bet on the flop, after 3bet will tell this to him.

Let's say i'm that villain player, what do I see?
let's say my hand is ATo
I see a pre-flop 3bet OOP. What is this? It's probably a good pocket pair or a strong ace 50/50.

Flop: A 9 6

-> Check

What is this? Why? He's out of position and not looking for value here? Why? Now I feel like he doesn't like that flop. 80% that he has underpair, 20% for a set of nines or aces

Turn: A 9 6 J

-> Bet 3/4 of the pot

What is this? is this a bluff or value bet? It looks like a bluff, cause weak play on the flop after strong pre-flop play told me that more likely opponent has no ace. he wasn't looking for the value and didn't wanted to defend his hand on the flop, right now I think that it's a bluff or a set of jacks, or a well prepared trap. 90% for the bluff, 10% for trips/traps.

River

A 9 6 J 4.

Adding possible spade flush? Not really. What was that pre-flop starting hand for the flush? AsKs or KsQs? KQ is out of equation, cause OOP 3bet with KQ is a really terrible move, it leaves us with AsKs. He has it? IF he had it then most likely he would want some value on the flop, but he checked the flop. Right now he can have set of nines, set of aces or set of jacks. If he has it then more likely he will go for value with a pot size bet or little less, but not less than half of the pot.

-> But Hero CHECKS.

What? Why? I'm 95% sure now that he's not looking for value, 5% that it's a trap and Hero has the nuts. In this case I will always bet and will try to make it look like a hard to call value bet, cause all-in will look like a bluff or nuts with my remaining 70K stack, and I don't want my opponent to think that I'm bluffing, I want him to think that it's a value bet, doesn't matter if my hand is 72os or if it's ATo like I've assumed above. This is how I will make it clear for me and for the Hero. So if Hero 3bets then it will be a hard decision for me if my hand is AT, and easy fold if my hand is 72 or KQ, but so far it looks like Hero is bluffing or has fear that his underpair is not good and I can represent Ace or set with a nice bet. And that's what I'll do.

My logic was correct and Hero folds.

==================================

My hand is AT again and Hero 3bets 6.5BB preflop, my stack is 40bb, 2bb invested, need to add another 4BB. I'm in position, but it's another 10% of my stack, most probably I will see another 15% or more of my stack on the flop and something like 30%+ on the turn, most probably it will be all-in for me on the turn with such a start. It leaves me less room for maneuvering if my hand is weak, even if it's a weak ace like AT... Flop is A high, Hero bets 10bb and I realize that i'm against AK-AQ, Aces maybe, now there is no space for bluff for me, I can only call with ace or set, bluff 3bet isn't a good solution for me here.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a real expert, just have some thoughts.
Young/Aggressive/Pro = often is a GTO player

1) I believe that pre 3bet could be bigger against him, instead of pot size i would bet around 6-7bb. Just because he's aggressive, in position, his 2bb is already there, and you have KK out of position. 6.5BB is a nice invitation to Value town.

Flop: A 9 6

-> Check

What is this? Why? He's out of position and not looking for value here? Why? Now I feel like he doesn't like that flop. 80% that he has underpair, 20% for a set of nines or aces

Turn: A 9 6 J

-> Bet 3/4 of the pot

What is this? is this a bluff or value bet? It looks like a bluff, cause weak play on the flop after strong pre-flop play told me that more likely opponent has no ace. he wasn't looking for the value and didn't wanted to defend his hand on the flop, right now I think that it's a bluff or a set of jacks, or a well prepared trap. 90% for the bluff, 10% for trips/traps.

River

A 9 6 J 4.

Adding possible spade flush? Not really. What was that pre-flop starting hand for the flush? AsKs or KsQs? KQ is out of equation, cause OOP 3bet with KQ is a really terrible move, it leaves us with AsKs. He has it? IF he had it then most likely he would want some value on the flop, but he checked the flop. Right now he can have set of nines, set of aces or set of jacks. If he has it then more likely he will go for value with a pot size bet or little less, but not less than half of the pot.

-> But Hero CHECKS.

What? Why? I'm 95% sure now that he's not looking for value, 5% that it's a trap and Hero has the nuts. In this case I will always bet and will try to make it look like a hard to call value bet, cause all-in will look like a bluff or nuts with my remaining 70K stack, and I don't want my opponent to think that I'm bluffing, I want him to think that it's a value bet, doesn't matter if my hand is 72os or if it's ATo like I've assumed above. This is how I will make it clear for me and for the Hero. So if Hero 3bets then it will be a hard decision for me if my hand is AT, and easy fold if my hand is 72 or KQ, but so far it looks like Hero is bluffing or has fear that his underpair is not good and I can represent Ace or set with a nice bet. And that's what I'll do.

My logic was correct and Hero folds.

==================================

My hand is AT again and Hero 3bets 6.5BB preflop, my stack is 40bb, 2bb invested, need to add another 4BB. I'm in position, but it's another 10% of my stack, most probably I will see another 15% or more of my stack on the flop and something like 30%+ on the turn, most probably it will be all-in for me on the turn with such a start. It leaves me less room for maneuvering if my hand is weak, even if it's a weak ace like AT... Flop is A high, Hero bets 10bb and I realize that i'm against AK-AQ, Aces maybe, now there is no space for bluff for me, I can only call with ace or set, bluff 3bet isn't a good solution for me here.

Thank U 4 Responding.

The thinking you are attributing to a GTO player is incorrect vs a good GTO player.

Playing GTO means they cannot be exploited but you are recommending exploitative plays. That is a recipe for disaster in the long run.

Hope this helps

:):):)

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop think a bigger size is needed and then on the flop I would still go out and bet flop there's loads of hands that call a 3 bet that don't contain an ace and now it looks like you have exactly what you do have an underpair to the board JJ QQ that's scared of that ace.

Sure you could be slow playing but how often have you checked previously when you have an ace in that spot

I don't know if I've read it right but by the river are we now playing the board with 5 to the flush you can't be holding the king of spades ?

WSOP