Tips To reach Final Table?(GG poker) TY :)

T

Thor93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm about to give up on the whole idea of actually being pro when it comes to online poker.
it seems almost impossible to reach the Final table , I would say I'm a moderate player usually play in Buy-ins 2-50$ range.
most of my tournaments I do get in "the money" however usually I run Hot early in the tournaments and like today I was couple times top3 ,but late game the whole luck changed and until you get a decent cards or a nice pair you end up losing.
for example hands I lost today very deep in the money.
2.5$ Buy-in (GTD 4$)(160 players left)
Player 1 - Raise 4bet Preflop ,( A K suited)
Me- QQ-Shove all in 200k ( would put me as chip leader of tournament)

10$ Buy-in (GTD 50$)(40 players left)
Me-AJ suited Shove all in preflop-pretty short stack
player 1 Call- KK - win and knock me out.

50$ Buy-in(GTD 110$)(286 players left)

Me-AK suited Shove all in preflop
player 1 Call - KK - win and knock me out.

I do Believe I play poker pretty decent and should be able to reach final table,but after so many tournaments , seems like you need to run like a god to actually make it .
Would appreciate pro's feedback or people that been in my spot before.
I realised a lot of times even when I'm chip leader early on by a lot , suddenly all of the sudden get dead cards every time until we reach the money I'm no longer any close to being chip leader again, I do try make plays when I can .:):D

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Well, the field online is much larger than most live tournaments. Thousands of players in online tournaments versus dozens or hundreds in offline MTTs. Therefore, it is so difficult to get to the final table online, you need a very long distance.

You need to focus on making the right decisions in every hand you play and just play as many tournaments as possible without thinking about all those top places. Then one day luck will be on your side! :)

lukaji

lukaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm about to give up on the whole idea of actually being pro when it comes to online poker.
it seems almost impossible to reach the Final table , I would say I'm a moderate player usually play in Buy-ins 2-50$ range.
most of my tournaments I do get in "the money" however usually I run Hot early in the tournaments and like today I was couple times top3 ,but late game the whole luck changed and until you get a decent cards or a nice pair you end up losing.

10$ Buy-in (GTD 50$)(40 players left)
Me-AJ suited Shove all in preflop-pretty short stack
player 1 Call- KK - win and knock me out.

50$ Buy-in(GTD 110$)(286 players left)

Me-AK suited Shove all in preflop
player 1 Call - KK - win and knock me out.

I do Believe I play poker pretty decent and should be able to reach final table,but after so many tournaments , seems like you need to run like a god to actually make it .
Would appreciate pro's feedback or people that been in my spot before.
I realised a lot of times even when I'm chip leader early on by a lot , suddenly all of the sudden get dead cards every time until we reach the money I'm no longer any close to being chip leader again, I do try make plays when I can .:):D
There is a solution, and that is to focus on the time action of the players with high accuracy and try to understand what exactly he is doing at this time, and in the end, if you can understand it.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To be perfectly honest it sounds to me like you're not changing gears enough.

Ultimately the best way to reach MTT FTs and take 1st place in MTTs is to win your flips and survive your all-ins.

Yes, you have to play well and avoid any number of pitfalls along the way but I believe it's generally understood that there will almost always be crossroads in MTTs where the cards fall in our favour, or they do not.

As you cannot control how the cards fall (if you do you are cheating :wink:), it's best not to focus on that and instead put all your efforts into making the best possible decisions in any given spot.

You understand EV and variance, yes?

Things like AK v QQ are classic flips and fairly (if not completely*) unavoidable. That is often going to be a significant crossroad in a MTT.

Sometimes you're going to run KK into AA, sometimes you're going to have AA and KK is going to spike.

One of the secrets to being a poker pro** in my opinion is positioning yourself on the better side of equity in these types of spots as consistently as possible.

If you have played correctly/well, gotten your chips in 'good' and only lost because the cards have fallen against you, then you should be pleased and confident moving forwards.

When you lose a spot, always consider how you would have done if (at the point you got your chips in) you ran the spot 1,000 times?

If on average you come out ahead after running it x1000, congratulations- you essentially played well.

The reverse is perhaps indicative that you didn't get it in great that time.

One of the subtle nuances of poker is being able to distinguish accurately between when one has played well and lost (been unlucky) and when one has just lost due to playing badly. :smile:

Apologies if this is all useless waffle or you understand all of this already. :eek:

*In most normal circumstances at least.

**Coming from someone who isn't a poker pro and is therefore conjecture at best. :flute:

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I can give you the advice to save the hands history and then analyze what you might correct or play better next time. I often believed that i did everythink right but after analyzing more and getting feedback from other players i realized that i was far away from making good decisions:)

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, it is also possible that you overestimate hands that are beautiful at first glance, but weak in specific spots. For example, it's not very good to play hands like At-AJ against a player who raises from early position with an effective stack of around 20bb. Etc.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
It is difficult to reach the final table in online tournaments due to the large number of beginners and fun players out there. Being a chip leader at the beginning of the tournament does not guarantee anything and it is very difficult to stay as such until the end. You must let things flow and stop pressuring yourself to reach a final table, concentrate on gradually climbing the collection positions and you will see how the least expected day you reach the final table. The anxiety is not good and locks everything

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You must let things flow and stop pressuring yourself to reach a final table, concentrate on gradually climbing the collection positions and you will see how the least expected day you reach the final table. The anxiety is not good and locks everything

That's right, it's happens when there are a few pre-final tables left, you shove, a few people call, and you triple (sometimes even with the worst hand))) And then dominate the tables until the final table and win, taking first place.

And it happens that you barely survive the whole tournament with a very low stack, you get to the final table at the last position in the list, and then after a few successful doublings or triplings you become a chip leader and win the whole tournament :)

T

Thor93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, the field online is much larger than most live tournaments. Thousands of players in online tournaments versus dozens or hundreds in offline MTTs. Therefore, it is so difficult to get to the final table online, you need a very long distance.

You need to focus on making the right decisions in every hand you play and just play as many tournaments as possible without thinking about all those top places. Then one day luck will be on your side! :)

Thank you for the kind reply my friend and the support, I totally agree there's always a room to improve and be positive and just focus on being better , I'll stick with this mindset appreciate you ! :):icon_sant

T

Thor93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a solution, and that is to focus on the time action of the players with high accuracy and try to understand what exactly he is doing at this time, and in the end, if you can understand it.

That's a very good tip, Thank you my friend, I'll try analyze my opponents better and review my hands to improve. Have a good one :)

T

Thor93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To be perfectly honest it sounds to me like you're not changing gears enough.

Ultimately the best way to reach MTT FTs and take 1st place in MTTs is to win your flips and survive your all-ins.

Yes, you have to play well and avoid any number of pitfalls along the way but I believe it's generally understood that there will almost always be crossroads in MTTs where the cards fall in our favour, or they do not.

As you cannot control how the cards fall (if you do you are cheating :wink:), it's best not to focus on that and instead put all your efforts into making the best possible decisions in any given spot.

You understand EV and variance, yes?

Things like AK v QQ are classic flips and fairly (if not completely*) unavoidable. That is often going to be a significant crossroad in a MTT.

Sometimes you're going to run KK into AA, sometimes you're going to have AA and KK is going to spike.

One of the secrets to being a poker pro** in my opinion is positioning yourself on the better side of equity in these types of spots as consistently as possible.

If you have played correctly/well, gotten your chips in 'good' and only lost because the cards have fallen against you, then you should be pleased and confident moving forwards.

When you lose a spot, always consider how you would have done if (at the point you got your chips in) you ran the spot 1,000 times?

If on average you come out ahead after running it x1000, congratulations- you essentially played well.

The reverse is perhaps indicative that you didn't get it in great that time.

One of the subtle nuances of poker is being able to distinguish accurately between when one has played well and lost (been unlucky) and when one has just lost due to playing badly. :smile:

Apologies if this is all useless waffle or you understand all of this already. :eek:

*In most normal circumstances at least.

**Coming from someone who isn't a poker pro and is therefore conjecture at best. :flute:

Thank you for taking your time and commenting, those are great tips I can use further-on and analyze my strategy/hands/opponents decisions.
I think what really essential for me is to focus more on the hands than positioning in the tournament , at to know I did what I could or played well enough despite not making it.
Important for mindset when I join a Tourny .
Have a good one :D:cool:

T

Thor93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can give you the advice to save the hands history and then analyze what you might correct or play better next time. I often believed that i did everythink right but after analyzing more and getting feedback from other players i realized that i was far away from making good decisions:)

Thank you my friend, appreciate the advice, I'll definitely will look on my hands and review and try be better and see what I could've done differently, I guess it's all about trail and error !:D

T

Thor93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is difficult to reach the final table in online tournaments due to the large number of beginners and fun players out there. Being a chip leader at the beginning of the tournament does not guarantee anything and it is very difficult to stay as such until the end. You must let things flow and stop pressuring yourself to reach a final table, concentrate on gradually climbing the collection positions and you will see how the least expected day you reach the final table. The anxiety is not good and locks everything

Thank you for taking your time and commenting, I really think you hit the jackpot right there.
now I know what to focus on my mindset when I join the tables instead of letting frustration get to me , Take it less seriously and focus on improving.
Appreciate you ! :D:cool:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thank you for taking your time and commenting, those are great tips I can use further-on and analyze my strategy/hands/opponents decisions.
I think what really essential for me is to focus more on the hands than positioning in the tournament , at to know I did what I could or played well enough despite not making it.
Important for mindset when I join a Tourny .
Have a good one :D:cool:
Mindset and mental framing really can't be understated! :wink:

Good general thing to bear in mind also;

1) Position
2) Aggression
3) Hand selection

:flute:

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play aggressively to get a lot of chips, and bluff.

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, as a longterm mtt player i understand your question.

Its the typical life of a mtt player where you can have al lot of runs without a ft.

Some runs ends because of blinding down. Some because of a cooler or running in a big hand.

You need to play your hands ik relation to your stacksize as good as possible.
Search for the player Who cant stand pressure and 3bet them more. These spots keep your stack healty

Especially last 3 tables their are a lot of player to put pressure on.

Mtt have such a big variance. I wouldnt focus to much on reaching the ft. It will happen in the end of everything falls into place.

Gl sir

Poker Tips