Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
here is the case
sat 0.3 buyin to 7d pko tournament, hyper turbo 3000 start stack, blinds 4-6min.
what strategy is better to choose for the game, because the blinds grow very quickly, and a too tight style of play may not be entirely profitable and I don’t quite understand what to do with such tournaments
give me some tips if u pro in those

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Well. Firts of all you'll need more luck than normal. I just won a few of that tourneys. Even though I won once two in a raw. What I could say is. That you need to find the weakers players. I mean try to figure out when players stay on blinds with low cards like K2 off or even menus A6 off and so. As well find pleyers who call with that kind of hands on any position. Then if you have a strong hand like big suited conectors and a good pair 88+ then you just simplify going all-in. As I mentioned you'll need more help as usual, the variance itself is going to decide half of the times. I hope to help a little. I personally like the turbos. They have an extra excitement. Good luck.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't read Dara O'Kearney's book "Poker Satellite Strategy" but its highly rated and more importantly, he is still active on this site so I would ask him something basic. Like:

"Dara, if I'm new to poker and I can't consistently cash in regular tourns but I'm attracted to hyper satellites, what in your opinion should someone in my
shoes focus on besides basic tourn strategy like starting hands from different positions, blinds to my stack ratios, ICM, how to play certain levels of a tourn etc if they wanted to learn how to play these satellite tourns better?

What one or two things should I focus on?

Thanks for your time. "

And see if he has the time to respond.

These types of tourns need a lot of skill and experience and once you actually learn what YOUR strengths and weaknesses are then they still might not be for you.

To me, they just don't make sense to play because you can play so deep and still walk away empty.

The only way it makes sense, is if you can consistently without a doubt go to a final table where most of the payouts are for a lot of sat tourns against a certain pool of players that you can do this consistently with.

I won't play sat freerolls, lol. If you gave me a ticket to them I WOULDN'T play them because I know I can put in the same amount of time and less effort and walk away with something in a regular based tourn.

I won't play sats even against beginners in freerolls.

I literally have a $10.50 ACR ticket that the good folks from ACR gave me from last year and I can only use it now on hyper sats now so I won't use it lol.

It expires at the end of Aug and I don't regularly play $10 tourns on ACR anyway, lol so I won't use it anyway. Sorry, I can't transfer it, lol.

That's another pet peeve that I adhere to help my consistency but whatever.

So I'm biased towards sat tourns, you couldn't pay me to play them, lolol.

To me they create too many bad habits chasing pie in the sky prizes and I waste time without reaching the results/consistency I want so I avoid them, like the plague, lol.

But that doesn't mean they can't be for you especially if you use them to focus your learning of late stage regular tourn play.

GL and see what Dara is up to. He might be able to point you in the right direction and knows a lot about that specialty!!!

Thanks for the post. I've been thinking about studying these types of tourns to improve my regular tourn results recently.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learn short stacked push-fold ranges and learn how to play the bubble of any satellite.

almir nicolau

almir nicolau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hello! Fepitaph In micro tournaments we have to take into account the basic population of the field that is added to the tournament. they are players with little experience, so we have to play as conservatively as possible (play our hands fairly) avoiding playing marginal hands and spots. I recommend that you only play strong preflop hands or that have postflop equity (it develops postflop).
Regarding the hyper structure, we must take into account the blinds in regular tournaments. Stacks with 12 to 15 bigblins are very good for a possible double to return to the game or to be able to generate folds from our opponents (foldequity) in hyper tournaments, we read the stack into account from 3 to 5 big blinds to take into account our survival in the tournament.
Hint: don't give up with these stacks because the field is very short and we work all the time with this range of chips!! glglgl :)

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
here is the case
sat 0.3 buyin to 7d pko tournament, hyper turbo 3000 start stack, blinds 4-6min.
what strategy is better to choose for the game, because the blinds grow very quickly, and a too tight style of play may not be entirely profitable and I don’t quite understand what to do with such tournaments
give me some tips if u pro in those
This is a bingo game. What advice can there be?
Either you're lucky or you're not. If you want to increase your chances of luck, you just need to increase the number of tournaments in which you can play, for example, in one game session.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In these types of tournaments you need a lot of luck, I have always thought that in these tournaments you have to apply a lot of pressure but you must also play very confidently and if you have a good instinct, follow it, but you must also be very careful not to press too much

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Learn short stacked push-fold ranges and learn how to play the bubble of any satellite.
pushorfold is not hard to learn, it's harder to live to buble, because every second one calls you much wider than it should and I turn out to be badbeated

Poker Tips