My Thoughts..What are yours

J

jtrain777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you ask a poker player what his goal is entering a tournament, invariably he will say, “To win!”I don’ t believe that’s always true, though. If players were truthful with themselves, many would be saying “To finish in the money!” or “Not get knocked out first!” It seems like a “you-say-tomato-I-say-tomahto” difference, but playing to win and playing not to lose are very much different animals. You should have an understanding where you stand on the issue. Winning psychology Winning is great, but in order to focus on that goal, it must be your primary ambition. Winning strategy will dictate how you play throughout the tournament – getting chips early, playing more aggressively around the money bubble and not being afraid to take chances. In poker terms, if you are afraid to lose, you will never be able to win. Sometimes a tournament’s structure can determine your mentality. Some events are extremely top-heavy, where the winner gets a seat to the WSOP Main Event and all the runners-up get a thanks-for-donating pin. In this situation you must play hard the entire way to achieve the goal. The motivation of ’not losing’ The structure of most tournaments is to award 10 per cent of the field with at least their money back. When you finish in the money, there is a reward for your risk even though you didn’t win the contest. You got close, you gave it the college try, but things didn’t go your way. So you slink home-not a winner, but not a loser either. For many players, finishing in the money is the victory. It is a gauge of progress for new players, or a measure of success for experienced veterans. Sure, they didn’t claim first prize, but they were better than 90 per cent of those other losers who finished out of the money. Therefore, playing passively or limping into the money is the game plan when the bubble is close to bursting. I think I can, I think I can . . . Unless you’ve entered a re-buy tournament, no one looks to bust out on the first hand or the first round. There is some credibility to ranking systems where players are rewarded for consistent tournament finishes, even though they didn’t win. This is entirely different from say, a heads-up tournament where there is a winner and a . . . non-winner. An optimist would call it second place, and being called a loser has such negative connotations, so the politically correct term would be “runner-up.” Some players are happy finishing in the money because they understand their requisite skill level does not allow that extra gear to be successful at a final table, or maybe their short-handed game needs work. At the end of the day, for some people, winning is everything and anything less is considered failure. For others, a place or show isn’t all that bad. Your own mindset will often make the difference between a payday, and absolute success.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
They say that in combat 90% of success depends purely on psychology. Well, if we talk about poker, then it seems to me that this figure will be closer to 100%. Your success or failure literally depends entirely on the thoughts in your head. For most poker players, there are several psychological barriers that hold them back from the success they deserve in this game. Implementing your strategy at the tables (and therefore making a profit) is possible only with deep faith in your own strength.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me the goal of being in a tournament is to finish in the top three. That's where the money is. After getting there now the goal changes to winning the dang thing. So for me, there are two goals in a tournament--1) Make it to the final three. 2) Win the dang thing. Those are two totality different games. There are two different skill sets to use here, one for getting to the final three and one to win. The most important aspect of tournament play that people tend to overlook is failing to plan for the time involved to actually play the whole game until the end. I have started using a tournament calendar to plan the games to enter and make sure that the time is allocated for this. Just start a game that you know last 6 hours and in comes" But Daddy you said we were going to go fishing today."

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In general, for me poker is fun, a hobby, an opportunity to have a good time. But I also play for victory. In my understanding, winning is at least winning some money. Although, regardless of the outcome, poker always gives me pleasure. :)

ebazynski

ebazynski

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Since I'm not trying to make a living at poker and have limited time/opportunity to play, getting ITM and picking up the occasional win along the way is OK by me.

I don't quite get the idea that trying to finish ITM is a bad thing and only winning matters. It seems to me that you must be ITM in order to have a chance at winning.

Why not just enjoy game, try to play well, and be happy with whatever good fortune comes your way? Making it an "all or nothing" situation seems like your just setting yourself up for a more negative experience.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you ask a poker player what his goal is entering a tournament, invariably he will say, “To win!”I don’ t believe that’s always true, though. If players were truthful with themselves, many would be saying “To finish in the money!” or “Not get knocked out first!” It seems like a “you-say-tomato-I-say-tomahto” difference, but playing to win and playing not to lose are very much different animals. You should have an understanding where you stand on the issue. Winning psychology Winning is great, but in order to focus on that goal, it must be your primary ambition. Winning strategy will dictate how you play throughout the tournament – getting chips early, playing more aggressively around the money bubble and not being afraid to take chances. In poker terms, if you are afraid to lose, you will never be able to win. Sometimes a tournament’s structure can determine your mentality. Some events are extremely top-heavy, where the winner gets a seat to the WSOP Main Event and all the runners-up get a thanks-for-donating pin. In this situation you must play hard the entire way to achieve the goal. The motivation of ’not losing’ The structure of most tournaments is to award 10 per cent of the field with at least their money back. When you finish in the money, there is a reward for your risk even though you didn’t win the contest. You got close, you gave it the college try, but things didn’t go your way. So you slink home-not a winner, but not a loser either. For many players, finishing in the money is the victory. It is a gauge of progress for new players, or a measure of success for experienced veterans. Sure, they didn’t claim first prize, but they were better than 90 per cent of those other losers who finished out of the money. Therefore, playing passively or limping into the money is the game plan when the bubble is close to bursting. I think I can, I think I can . . . Unless you’ve entered a re-buy tournament, no one looks to bust out on the first hand or the first round. There is some credibility to ranking systems where players are rewarded for consistent tournament finishes, even though they didn’t win. This is entirely different from say, a heads-up tournament where there is a winner and a . . . non-winner. An optimist would call it second place, and being called a loser has such negative connotations, so the politically correct term would be “runner-up.” Some players are happy finishing in the money because they understand their requisite skill level does not allow that extra gear to be successful at a final table, or maybe their short-handed game needs work. At the end of the day, for some people, winning is everything and anything less is considered failure. For others, a place or show isn’t all that bad. Your own mindset will often make the difference between a payday, and absolute success.
I want to win ;) but I play not to lose :rolleyes: but I do 99.9% of the time :eek:

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The answer that makes more sense to me is very simple : "I want to get as far as possible".
You can say "I will win" or "I want to get itm" as much as you want, you know very well that the outcome depends on so many factors...

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Nobody enters any competition to lose, when I start a tournament in Poker my ultimate goal is to win, it is not always possible to be a winner, but I try to get as close as possible to first place

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My goal is to at least breakeven. If I get to win more than I put in - great! But mostly the idea of "not losing money" speaks to me :)

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Excellent texts. Some more serious, others more relaxed.

My opinion is that the focus should be on staying alive to get to the cash and taking the chances that the cards give you to build a solid stack to try a deeper race.
I want to propose an analogy:
A poker tournament is like an obstacle course. You must have the Target in mind (to win) but you must be aware of obstacles, as they can make you fall and leave the race without finishing it.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also just try to get as deep into the prize zone as possible in the tournament. But it is desirable to get to the final table.
I think it's a good goal to play with an eye on the final table :)