Thoughts about chopping final table

E

ezevan1022

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would chop if I feel I don't have an advantages and the stacks are somewhat even. If you feel clearly you are the best player you should play it out, at least to the final 2 or 3. I've seen people chop a whole table, what the hell is the point of playing, I guess it is just alot of casuals happy being in the money.

R

ricksterrick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would only chop if I felt someone I was playing was better than me or if it was for a lot of money and the structure was bad with avg stack being super small.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chopping is a safe way to avoid variance and if the jumps are bigger than what you would feel comfortable losing then just chop it up. Don't be greedy people.

S

Stowie101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see a problem with an even chop if you're the chip leader. You never know what'll happen and that stack can quickly disappear. Guarantee yourself a decent payout, sure why not. Do they offer chops in Bovada tourneys? I don't play many tourneys there.

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember back in the day stealthmunk was 3 handed in the Sunday million and had a monster chip lead...he gave the other 2 guys(who each only had like 6bb vs his monster stack) a little more than third place money and they played for a bit...in the end he ended up making more than what the original 1st place paid...pretty awesome
Haha nice, but can you do so anymore? Doesnt the system says that you cant win more money than the place in question was from the begining? :)

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happened today and made me think of this thread:

It is a live freeroll with 50-60 players, total prize pool of around $4800. We got down to 20 people coming out of the second break and someone suggested chopping 20 ways (about $240 each). I agreed as well as everyone at the table except an old man. I had a mediocre stack and, since this tournament structure was relatively fast, nobody even had 50 BB. The old man was chip leader, though, so it was understandable. No big deal. Play continued.

We get down to the final table of 10 players. The tournament paid 7, so we discussed another chop, ranging from an even 10-way chop (about $480 each) to everyone taking $200 and playing for the rest. Old man rejects it and play continues.

The man's chip stack is eventually cut in half and the largest stack at the table is under 20 BB. We bring up chopping again with 9 players left. He rejects it a third time and says we'll discuss it after the current hand/blind round.

He gets eliminated that very hand, walks away with nothing, and everyone else agrees to an even chop of $600.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happened today and made me think of this thread:

It is a live freeroll with 50-60 players, total prize pool of around $4800. We got down to 20 people coming out of the second break and someone suggested chopping 20 ways (about $240 each). I agreed as well as everyone at the table except an old man. I had a mediocre stack and, since this tournament structure was relatively fast, nobody even had 50 BB. The old man was chip leader, though, so it was understandable. No big deal. Play continued.

We get down to the final table of 10 players. The tournament paid 7, so we discussed another chop, ranging from an even 10-way chop (about $480 each) to everyone taking $200 and playing for the rest. Old man rejects it and play continues.

The man's chip stack is eventually cut in half and the largest stack at the table is under 20 BB. We bring up chopping again with 9 players left. He rejects it a third time and says we'll discuss it after the current hand/blind round.

He gets eliminated that very hand, walks away with nothing, and everyone else agrees to an even chop of $600.

Chopping with 20 people out of 50 entrants is absolutely ridiculous. And also, just because the old man, the chip leader, ended up with nothing in this scenario, that still does not mean that it was the right idea for him to chop, esp not an even chop. Process, not result.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chopping with 20 people out of 50 entrants is absolutely ridiculous. And also, just because the old man, the chip leader, ended up with nothing in this scenario, that still does not mean that it was the right idea for him to chop, esp not an even chop. Process, not result.

It isn't ridiculous. It was a rather fast freeroll and the chip leader didn't even hold 50 BB. But like I said, it was understandable.

However, his decision to reject a chop twice at the final table was a horrible one, IMO, especially the third time when he had 5 BB. Almost no skill was going to be involved at that point in the tournament because every player was short stacked.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the all the conditions for a chop. only make the deal if you feel comfortable, and definitely consider not only the stack sizes, the players left - and how they have been playing, and the amount you are getting, and of course me being a sleep nut - I would also consider the time , and what time I need to get up the next day !
I have never had the privilege of being asked about a chop - I have just played any tourney or game to the end and you get whatever was posted for the payouts.
A lot to consider though before just jumping at the first one they give you , and if you get another deal after refusing the first one - then do the math !

SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chop it if your the smallest stack,{or agree to}, Play on if you have the big stack. If you end up getting bled to death by the shorter stacks, you haven't lost or gained in the long run. You can't lose less that the stated pay out, so why do it?

4evertilted

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many reasons to Chop, mostly when 5 or less players. When the Blinds are quite large due to chip stacks. Large payout tourneys are worth chopping due to a coin flip meaning the difference in 1000's. I have chopped many tourney's in the past with large pay outs, 10k plus for 1st, not sure if you would chop in Small stakes MTT's

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are the only one not agreeing to chop, won't the rest be after to get you. Might be good if that is the case but can become a little uncomfortable if you play with the same crown week after week. No?

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe if you are about to be blinded out take a chop and run. But if you have chips why not play to win? That is why you registered wasn't it? To win! Who registers and says gee I hope I make it one past the bubble. No one does, they all register with the thoughts of winning. You can't win if you chop. You can come out ahead of what you invested but if you want the experience of playing to the end and winning it all you have to play to the end and win it all.