Thing i keep noticing at 9 handed Sit N Goes.

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get used to much worse beats than taht.. if you play sng, you will see it all..

im pretty much numb to the 60/40's 80/20's and 95/5's ive seen it all happen so i dont really feel anything when i outdraw someone or if someone puts a beat on me..

i've played poker for a little bit and i know it wasn't a bad beat but there was just a big jump of the prizepool between first and second and it just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. i've had plenty of bad beats worst then that. I never outdraw no one tho lol just kiddin.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I want to say thanks to this legend. He helped fix a couple a leaks in my game and i appericate that. Next sng i played i came second wooooooohooooooooo but sadly my heads up opponent who is an idiot called all in for 5000k with j8 and i had aq and flopped top 2 pair. lol i wasn't that big of a favouite but stings suddenly afterwards. Just want to say thanks to jilly

You're welcome but please don't over-hype me. I'm just a serious hobbyist at the moment :) I'm make my fair share of wicked mistakes, just ask WiZZiM about my values for JT :D

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're welcome but please don't over-hype me. I'm just a serious hobbyist at the moment :) I'm make my fair share of wicked mistakes, just ask WiZZiM about my values for JT :D

no, don't.. ill get in trouble again.. hehehe

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've played poker for a little bit and i know it wasn't a bad beat but there was just a big jump of the prizepool between first and second and it just leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. i've had plenty of bad beats worst then that. I never outdraw no one tho lol just kiddin.

i just thought id mention that. as i think sng you see way more than your fair share. as there are way more showdowns... so if you are thinking about playing sng. its something you need to be able to deal with. sometimes,, even if you play perfect. were gonna run like crap.. other times, we might play badly and run good. just have to take the good with the bad.. focus on the decisions.. i only get upset with myself if i make a bad shove or bad call. im not really concerned with the outcome of the hand

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just thought id mention that. as i think sng you see way more than your fair share. as there are way more showdowns... so if you are thinking about playing sng. its something you need to be able to deal with. sometimes,, even if you play perfect. were gonna run like crap.. other times, we might play badly and run good. just have to take the good with the bad.. focus on the decisions.. i only get upset with myself if i make a bad shove or bad call. im not really concerned with the outcome of the hand

I used to tilt very easily but thanks to the good people of cardschat i don't mind losing due to a bad beat every so often. I just need to think about that hand that i played it correctly and my opponent played it badly but got lucky. Thats why we love poker. Anything can happen

J

j_unatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ship it in when you have 1100 and blinds 50/100.

I'm not a SNG expert at all.... just play micros but have an idea of how to play them. If you want, you could pm me.. hook up on Skype & I'll do live commentary while playing a couple (do you play regs. or turbos?).
that is very nice of you id like to speak to you in the future..good luck at the tables until then : P

J

j_unatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you should stay confident in your games and try to concentrate a bit more. Around the time when you are under 20 bb try to make one or two moves to keep yourself in decent enough shape that you can still wait for premium hands. I think you have to really pay attention to who is folding the most and try your best to pick up any free chips possible, players are getting better so every hand means more and more these days.

P

playerk7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its you, start to bet out at more flops and steal some pots so your not low when blinds are 50 100, youll even hit a sneaky two pair or something that might make you chip leader, but its deffinitly a bad position to be in 1100 with blinds 50/100, learn to play more aggresively

NeverFold

NeverFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are talking about 9 handed sng's here and bluffing would be the best strategy in very rare situations.

Yes for rare situations only. Still, you need to focus on your cards and the flow of the game. If you think you can bluff them, then go. This is risky.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You are just unlucky my friend. In a game of poker, you need to be strategic when playing. The best strategy is BLUFFING.

The one most common over-used play by rookies in SNG's is 'BLUFFING'. Decent players should be able to pick them off... although you'll notice the newb picking up some pots in early levels with their 'pot-sized' flop bets out of position.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just being very general, but you're probably not adjusting to the blind raises/adjusting your hand range vs position and stack enough. Playing tight early on is good to survive, but as blinds increase and your stack gets shorter (stack vs BB) you'll have to open your range a bit more.

It might even be a mental block you have to get over. For me, when I first started playing I played uber-tight and would get to 100/200+ blinds with a stack of 1000 or less and trying to hold on as long as I could. Waiting for the big hand and finally shoving when I'm down to 3-5 BBs. My biggest mental blocks were giving my opponents too much credit and the fear of losing (again)...it might not be the case, but something to consider.

I'll be happy to go over HH with you as well or sweat you in a game or two to see if I notice anything.

As for bluffing...so not important. The only bluff I'll probably make is blind stealing and taking a pot from a weak/passive player.

S

suraj128

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have recently started really liking double up sit n gos where last 5 people get double buy in back, its like a sit n go and survivor tourny combined

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
its you, start to bet out at more flops and steal some pots so your not low when blinds are 50 100, youll even hit a sneaky two pair or something that might make you chip leader, but its deffinitly a bad position to be in 1100 with blinds 50/100, learn to play more aggresively

I'm inclined to disagree if what you're saying is that having 1100 chips when blinds are 50/100 is a 'bad position' to be in. I wouldn't say it's 'bad' at all... one just needs to alter their play accordingly when they're sitting with 1100 at 50/100. Quite often (in reg. speed sng's, STT) you'll see one or two players sitting w 1100-1200 chips in early-mid levels (50/100) who haven't even played a single hand up to that point (or perhaps one hand, raise, c-bet/fold, or def. c/f flop, etc.). Those same players are often the ones who go on to win it (sngs arent' won in the early levels) as the rookies who are way too active end up getting it in in a marginal spot, double up the guy w 1100chips and evens out the playing field as bubble play closes in. (<< just a hypothetical scenario but one that is quite common).
... mid-levels you'll want to up the aggression but in early levels it isn't necessarily the way you want to go (it always 'depends')

Pokerstudent

Pokerstudent

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying something. And it's been working for me. I don't expect to really win...and I use very low stakes. But what I do is this. I cover my hand on the screen so I don't know what I have.

Here is what it forces you to do:

1) Play POSITION. You don't end up playing hand from EP....EVER!
2) You never limp.
3) You start to pay attention to all the information you have...information that we often forget. This includes the following:
-what type of avatar name do they have? Imstealing? Chipmuncher?
-what is the cadence when betting? Do they press the autofold? If so, they probably rarely bluff preflop.
-what are THEIR tendancies like? Limps alot? checkraises alot? never?
-folds to reraise
- does their betsizing suck?
4) Does YOUR betsizing suck?
5) Do you play proper push/fold poker? Do you shove on weak players so that they will fold?

Once you start paying attention to ALL THESE FACTORS to where they are the norm, or at least in your viewscope, start looking at the cards again. We often forget that the cards ARE important, but not nearly as important as all the other info present.

My $0.02.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a sng, its inevitable that you fall under 20bb's.... thus. its really important to master late stage play. bubble play and understanding basic ICM is a must if you want to achieve long term sucess.. and by long term im talking at least 1000 games.. TBH you dont really know if your a winning player until you have at least 1k games under your belt..

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a sng, its inevitable that you fall under 20bb's.... thus. its really important to master late stage play. bubble play and understanding basic ICM is a must if you want to achieve long term sucess.. and by long term im talking at least 1000 games.. TBH you dont really know if your a winning player until you have at least 1k games under your belt..

Yes that's what I'm trying to fix. Jilly helped me a lot with my when to push when to fold. So far it's worked. To early to tell though. I'm surprised
this thread is still going. Normally my threads
die pretty quickly

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
couple notes on SNGs:

1. Thing I notice is people STILL play way too loose early and too tight late.
2. People make horrible shoves vs. the shortstack on the bubble. When the blinds are 200/400 and it's 4-handed and the shortstack is in the BB with $750 chips, and you have $1,600, don't shove a wide range here, people!

G

Grinder101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 9 mans and 10 mans have become much harder to crush because the large offer in poker sites(and books) with advice and strategy on them. Now everyone plays tight in the early stages at the reasonable buy-in levels.

Damn you Collin Moshman lol

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 9 mans and 10 mans have become much harder to crush because the large offer in poker sites(and books) with advice and strategy on them. Now everyone plays tight in the early stages at the reasonable buy-in levels.

Damn you Collin Moshman lol

lol collin moshman made me $$$ player. Yes the games have gotten a lot harder to beat but there still beatable.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
couple notes on SNGs:

1. Thing I notice is people STILL play way too loose early and too tight late.
2. People make horrible shoves vs. the shortstack on the bubble. When the blinds are 200/400 and it's 4-handed and the shortstack is in the BB with $750 chips, and you have $1,600, don't shove a wide range here, people!

Exactly ^. You find this quite often in CC priv. tourneys as well... shoving w garbage onto SS BB who's priced in to call. I never understand the reasoning behing this.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands