Taking Shots

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often do people go outside of their bankroll to play a bigger tournament online. I took a look at my sharkscope stats and I think I do this far too frequently. It is hard for me to play a .25 MTT when I have a good job and I tend to look at it as an hourly rate kind of a deal. I make X amount an hour. So for the recreational players, how often do you play a $20 tourney when you have say $100 in the online account?

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it this way in cash game: If my winnings in a week are +5 buyin for a next stake table i will play for shot taking once a week, otherwise i won't do it.
probably you need a stronger BR for shot taking in MMTs because of variance of MMTs
In overall: you need to be hot in a period for shot taking and you don't want be stressed or tilt, breaking BR rules when you are tilt is most dangerous thing that a poker player can do

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never, although I guess it depends on your willingness and ability to reload.

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have 6 poker sides and only on one Ihave a bankroll with more then 50 $ so the highest tournement Iplay is 5,5 $

F

FergusDec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm the same way as you. I only dedicate a certain amount to online poker, but I get impatient and take shots. It has paid off in the past occasionally, but I usually end up back to zero because it's hard for me to go back to lower levels when I hit.

Each situation is different, I suppose. I'm actually going to try and build a BR over the next few months in freerolls and micro stakes to really work on my true game. If I feel like I am good enough, I may actually put a decent deposit in and raise my stakes.

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it this way in cash game: If my winnings in a week are +5 buyin for a next stake table i will play for shot taking once a week, otherwise i won't do it.
probably you need a stronger BR for shot taking in MMTs because of variance of MMTs
In overall: you need to be hot in a period for shot taking and you don't want be stressed or tilt, breaking BR rules when you are tilt is most dangerous thing that a poker player can do

The variance in MTT's are much higher and I tend to keep within a decent range of BR requirements for cash games so I can reload. I think it comes down to looking at it like this. I wouldn't play a $20 tournament live as it wouldn't be worth my time. It seems silly that because I only have $100-$200 online to not play a solid tournament with a $20 buy in where the final table cashes thousands. It is like half an hour of work to get that buy in. I can only play those on weekends as I don't have time during the day because of said job.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do not risk money, if you want to play in expensive tournaments, you can enter through sattelites:)

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I limit to 1% of my bank roll. If I want to take a shot I will play a satellite that won't
cost more than 1%, if I qualify I will play.It lets me play within my bank. Mtts have such high variance. If I played larger and had a down swing,I would have to move down in buy in amount.

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often do people go outside of their bankroll to play a bigger tournament online. I took a look at my sharkscope stats and I think I do this far too frequently. It is hard for me to play a .25 MTT when I have a good job and I tend to look at it as an hourly rate kind of a deal. I make X amount an hour. So for the recreational players, how often do you play a $20 tourney when you have say $100 in the online account?
Its a tough one Nancie, because sometimes if you take too many shots you become jaded and going back down feels hopeless, the "moving down stakes" part is the important part,
This is where a lot of people end up felting their online bankroll.
That being said, MTT pros have said they need as much as 600 buy-ins to play, BUT the majority say 0.5%--Most regs will say 1% - 2%,
The shot taking, as you asked should be calculated. What game are you going to use 20percent of your bankroll ( $20 out of $100) ?
Is it a big guarantee? Is it a Multitable sit-N-go? What do you have to do to recenter knowing that if you don't hit and know you have to shift back down to $2, $1 or even $0.50 games?

Good luck!

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a tough one Nancie, because sometimes if you take too many shots you become jaded and going back down feels hopeless, the "moving down stakes" part is the important part,
This is where a lot of people end up felting their online bankroll.
That being said, MTT pros have said they need as much as 600 buy-ins to play, BUT the majority say 0.5%--Most regs will say 1% - 2%,
The shot taking, as you asked should be calculated. What game are you going to use 20percent of your bankroll ( $20 out of $100) ?
Is it a big guarantee? Is it a Multitable sit-N-go? What do you have to do to recenter knowing that if you don't hit and know you have to shift back down to $2, $1 or even $0.50 games?

Good luck!

The how's of it are fine with me, I don't get dejected or upset. I make note of difference in play and learn from my mistakes and move on down to the lower stakes and play those. The ones I take shots in are large guaranteed MTT's. If I am going to take a shot I want to take a shot at winning thousands.

I am more curious about how many people take these shots up in stakes. I have noticed a lot more 3 betting once you get above the $5 range. Just the difference in play is interesting to me. I am curious how many will jump up just to take a shot and go back to the smaller stakes until they can take another one.

I know it isn't a good habit or even a good idea for most bankroll specific rules. I don't think those really apply to a very part time player who is a hobbyist. If I am going to grind out 8 hours playing, I want something to show for it. It is hard to justify spending 8 hours to make 6 bucks.

mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The variance in MTT's are much higher and I tend to keep within a decent range of BR requirements for cash games so I can reload. I think it comes down to looking at it like this. I wouldn't play a $20 tournament live as it wouldn't be worth my time. It seems silly that because I only have $100-$200 online to not play a solid tournament with a $20 buy in where the final table cashes thousands. It is like half an hour of work to get that buy in. I can only play those on weekends as I don't have time during the day because of said job.

It is very good that you can earn good money from job but try to improve your bankroll with itself, growing bankroll with playing poker is so much fun and it will affect your learnings,
I think playing a higher buyin tournament in weekend is good idea with your situation ;)

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is very good that you can earn good money from job but try to improve your bankroll with itself, growing bankroll with playing poker is so much fun and it will affect your learnings,
I think playing a higher buyin tournament in weekend is good idea with your situation ;)

I have played at a higher level before and stopped playing after Black Friday when my bankroll was frozen. When I finally got that back I just bought a truck with that money since I hadn't played in a long time. I have built a bankroll once and it was a grind. I stopped playing because I didn't want to start over building a bankroll. I think I would rather not play than go through that process again to be honest. If Covid-19 didn't happen I probably wouldn't have started again. Going through the process of low limits is a painful experience for me.

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The how's of it are fine with me, I don't get dejected or upset. I make note of difference in play and learn from my mistakes and move on down to the lower stakes and play those. The ones I take shots in are large guaranteed MTT's. If I am going to take a shot I want to take a shot at winning thousands.

I am more curious about how many people take these shots up in stakes. I have noticed a lot more 3 betting once you get above the $5 range. Just the difference in play is interesting to me. I am curious how many will jump up just to take a shot and go back to the smaller stakes until they can take another one.

I know it isn't a good habit or even a good idea for most bankroll specific rules. I don't think those really apply to a very part time player who is a hobbyist. If I am going to grind out 8 hours playing, I want something to show for it. It is hard to justify spending 8 hours to make 6 bucks.
Awesome, gotcha!
Yeah, higher 3betting frequencies are even in $2 and $3 dollar games, small blind squeezes, polarizing over-bets, etc. The J- 10 suited, 10-9 suited, K Q off type range, you're going to have to flat in position more than usual. And 3bet or fold your holdings, cut the flat calling in half.
The $6.60 and $16.50 Mtt's on ACR play almost identical to the $3.30, Absolutely wasn't the case as little as 10 years ago.
In regards to you saying "something to show for" I think a transition to cash games maybe? Less variance less random (I'm assuming you won a tourney/sit N go or two, you sound like you can play).
If that 6 or 8 hours turned your $20 into $900 you theoretically would be semi-compensated for the times you didn't. With your job and schedule, I understand you're busy, so maybe mix a hybrid of cash games to save up for even bigger tournies, so when you do crack one it will really be worth it?

Either way good luck! Dance on um, Nancie!:secruity:

D

DancingNancie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome, gotcha!
Yeah, higher 3betting frequencies are even in $2 and $3 dollar games, small blind squeezes, polarizing over-bets, etc. The J- 10 suited, 10-9 suited, K Q off type range, you're going to have to flat in position more than usual. And 3bet or fold your holdings, cut the flat calling in half.
The $6.60 and $16.50 Mtt's on ACR play almost identical to the $3.30, Absolutely wasn't the case as little as 10 years ago.
In regards to you saying "something to show for" I think a transition to cash games maybe? Less variance less random (I'm assuming you won a tourney/sit N go or two, you sound like you can play).
If that 6 or 8 hours turned your $20 into $900 you theoretically would be semi-compensated for the times you didn't. With your job and schedule, I understand you're busy, so maybe mix a hybrid of cash games to save up for even bigger tournies, so when you do crack one it will really be worth it?

Either way good luck! Dance on um, Nancie!:secruity:

I have won a few MTT's since I have been playing again but they have been lower buyin. I don't play a lot of SNG's but do when I need to get more funds. I tend to do well in those. I have played a lot of cash games, but the last I left off playing I was a 15-30 and 20-40 limit regular. Part of the reason I stopped playing is because I didn't want to do what was necessary to build the bankroll to play at those limits again. I really don't have interest in playing cash games as the limit games have dried up and I don't care to learn the nuances of NL cash.

On the 3 bet topic, are you flatting the 3 bet more frequently in the larger buyins?

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have won a few MTT's since I have been playing again but they have been lower buyin. I don't play a lot of SNG's but do when I need to get more funds. I tend to do well in those. I have played a lot of cash games, but the last I left off playing I was a 15-30 and 20-40 limit regular. Part of the reason I stopped playing is because I didn't want to do what was necessary to build the bankroll to play at those limits again. I really don't have interest in playing cash games as the limit games have dried up and I don't care to learn the nuances of NL cash.

On the 3 bet topic, are you flatting the 3 bet more frequently in the larger buyins?
Cool, I get it! I understand what you mean about learning the nuances of NL cash too.
Oh and Yes, I absolutely will flat more 3bets in the $6 to $16.50 Mtt's on ACR (sometimes out of position) especially if the player knows what they're doing and have a high 3 betting frequency.
I came in 4th in an $11-- 3k guarantee for $288 just a few days ago, I've won a cards chat $100 freeroll too, 1st place for like $26 probably a year ago. The biggest I've played there recently was a $22,
---I'm not bragging I'm just saying I'm a decent enough player to give advice,
In the $11 one, I had to play tighter early position (folding AJ off from UTG) but still 3bet more than flat calling in late position and from the small blind, no flat calling--that's my main adjustment.
It's scary but sometimes you have to flat a 3bet or even sometimes 4bet with broadway suited connectors in position facing a 3bet. I'm sure you know, with like KQ suited, its a blocker game. KQ suited has you blocking combos of AK, and AQ-- making KK and QQ less likely, sure the opps could have pocket-rockets but one combo of AA is less likely if KQ blocks a combo of AK and AQ.----So, you're going to run into pocket Jack's, Ten's or Nines's all at the top of a habitual raiser or 3bettor's range in a hand when holding KQ suited--- a hand that flops great.
Like I said earlier, J 10 suited is an excellent flat-call-3bet/4bet/4bet-All-in, 10 9 suited is a heartbreaker too, a balance between flat calling the 3bet more and 4betting some----but don't fold in position. If you fold suited connectors from the late positions to a 3bet, you will be eaten up in any online tournament over $5, unless you're lucky and the deck hits you that day!
However, I've also destroyed the button's pocket pairs defending my big blind with 5-6 suited, 6-7 suited but that's more mid-stages closer to ITM around 30 to 40 bbs (flopping open-ended straight flush draws is the idea)***I would suggest the bigger suited connectors though, the game has changed, you'll see straights eating straights and flushes getting out flushed like it was pot-limit Omaha so you wanna mostly stay on the higher end.

Last edited: