Table full of limpers/fish.. what to do?

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So today I played my first micro MTT on pokerstars which was the BIG $3.30 and was seated at multiple tables where the majority of players are limping and playing nearly every hand. (40-90 Vpips after 40 hands)

Anyways I could not get into a heads-up pot no matter how big I would make raises. This particular MTT I could not hit a hand for the life of me. I would find myself multi-way and would miss the flop. Against 4 callers I would not C-bet and pretty much just shut down if someone donked, giving me no chance to win chips.

Eventually I found myself in a 4-way hand with Q9s hitting Top Two-Pair on the flop. One of the villians Donks All-in (of course) with top pair QT and I call, but he improves to a better Two Pair and I am bust.

What adjustments must be made when facing this type of table dynamic. How do we proceed in the multi-way pot when missing it completely? How strong should our hands be when we call the donk all-in?

W

Wiliest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You literally have to turn your brain off and play each hand for exactly what they're worth, as if you were playing them face up. Limp with things that can win multi-way pots like suited Ax, low pocket pairs etc. Go all-in preflop with AQ+, 10s+, and check/fold when you miss. Going all-in with 2-pair is usually fine, it was in your situation, villain just got lucky. These types of situations have lots of variance so you just have to embrace it. Sometimes you will bust out, other times you will build a huge stack.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes I agree. one rule of poker is to zig when people zag
play loose when they are tight
tight when they are loose

if everyone is continuing you need to find a situation with good hands that hit the flop and bet heavy

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You are going to have days like this and we all do. All you can do is play your game and not theirs. Yes they may over call you. Yes they will hit the flop on you but when you have a hand they will be more likely to pay you off. Just play smartly post flop and take there chips.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You literally have to turn your brain off and play each hand for exactly what they're worth, as if you were playing them face up. Limp with things that can win multi-way pots like suited Ax, low pocket pairs etc. Go all-in preflop with AQ+, 10s+, and check/fold when you miss. Going all-in with 2-pair is usually fine, it was in your situation, villain just got lucky. These types of situations have lots of variance so you just have to embrace it. Sometimes you will bust out, other times you will build a huge stack.
I agree with this guy. You should definitely embrace this atmosphere for sure. Take notes on your opponents. If your opponents are going to call you preflop, no matter how much you raise that you make, than put their feet to the fire when you have a truly premium starting hand. I don't suggest you ever shove all in though even if you have A A. If you shove all in it may scare them away which is what you don't want to do. The idea is to get as many of their chips out of them as possible, If you burn enough of them on your table things will settle down. At least for a little while. I have also noticed that if you milk the clock on a consistent basis that this has a tendency to slow down this "shootout at the O.K. coral and also allows them time to think a while, which can keep a lot of these players from playing this style without thinking. That's a good thing. You can also allow them to eliminate one another while waiting on a decent starting hand. That always makes me feel better even if one of my opponents power has risen and they are putting even more pressure on the table. The best thing I can tell you to do is stayed focused on your opponents actions. Look for weaknesses in their game and make them pay every time you extract that weakness. Good luck!!!