Switching computers while in a tournament

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While it is possible, it may throw up a red flag if you do so.

I have done this. I was deep in a tourney a few months ago on my desktop. Nearing the end, my power went off. It came on breifly, but since the storm that made it happen was getting worse, I logged off FTP. Since I as sitting good in chips and felt like I had a good chance to cash deep, I wasn't about to just let myself blind out. I took out my laptop, which had a good battery (enough to finish the tourney) and logged in. Before I continued playing though, I shipped an email to FTP Support to let them know my situation. I didn't want them to think thee were any shenanigans going on. I finished the tournry soon afterwards (just missed the FT), and logged out.

Two days later I recieved an email back from support, thanking me for informing them of the situation. The told me that since my local IP address was the same, and my play remained consistant, that all was good.

Had I not sent that email, apparently I would have been stripped of my winnings and had my account suspended pending review.

I would like to have seen that email. For them to strip you of your winnings would seem pretty much like theft! I have never seen anything warning you on a site that you cannot change computers. Like Debi I change computer frequently. Mainly because one is a bigger machine at a desk and one is more portable and comfy to use on a sofa! They know its from the same residence being from the same IP.

Hell, I have changed my IP when I connected a VPN into my office. That did cause a problem when PartPoker through up a message saying my account had been suspended. However when I contacted them they said there were no restrictions on my account and it was fine and I logged back in fine. I asked them is using VPN okay as that sparked the error and they said they prefer people not doing so but is is not prohibited. I mention this as it goes beyond switching computers.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol, didn't spot that, maybe reading and playing at the same time is not the best way to read poker forums or perhaps play! Was surprised with the thread but 8 years is a hella of a long time ago now.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree about NOT CONTACTING. Security dept.s are just looking for things to justify their existence. Its a problem waiting to happen really...

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Switching computers mid tourney is good strat

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol Debi highlighted this thread was 8 years old but looks like it's been kick started. I think TheKhaaks incident must have been a one off and compared to 8 years ago a lot more people are running multiple computers. Completely agree with Proud I would not volunteer contacting security if I am not doing anything wrong.

Not sure why you think its a good strategy Lord90 to change computer mid tourny? I just do it for comfort reasons and sometimes if I start opening up more tables as one of my laptops has a much bigger screen.

Perceval

Perceval

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How did you find this threat?:)

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We lost power a couple of weeks ago and I went to my neighbor with my laptop to use their connection.

I was playing on ACR and had a "note" stating to contact customer service.

Luckily I didn't have a BIG win in that tournie….otherwise the prizemoney might be in limbo?

I don't have the full verbiage but just FYI...

They are doing their best to prevent fraud.

Good luck !

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had all my tournament windows crash on ACR in the middle of a tournament.

I ended up having to reboot my computer. When I tried to log back in it said 'you are already logged in. Contact the administrator'.

Wonderful!

So now all my hands were folding on the bubble and I couldn't get in.

I understand the fraud prevention, but goodness, when the program crashes (does ACR crash for you guys a lot too? Esp when you have a lot of tables open?) then I feel like I want my money back...

Of course, I remember the DDos attacks as well...

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes, I've done this several times

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had all my tournament windows crash on ACR in the middle of a tournament.

I ended up having to reboot my computer. When I tried to log back in it said 'you are already logged in. Contact the administrator'.

Wonderful!

So now all my hands were folding on the bubble and I couldn't get in.

I understand the fraud prevention, but goodness, when the program crashes (does ACR crash for you guys a lot too? Esp when you have a lot of tables open?) then I feel like I want my money back...

That is disgusting, surely that is poorly designed software, it should log you out seeing you as disconnected?