Chips
is difficulte to control player and make strategy in free tournament;

G

garnerwj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is some advice for the ACR freerolls.
Avoid building the pot on draw heavy boards. Pot control boards that have flush draws on them even if you have top 2 or a set because they will call down to the river. The last thing you want to do is donate to their suckout. Small bets are fine but keep it at that. When draws miss then value bet the river.

Also show weakness to induce bluffs. Those fish cant help themselves to attack a player that checks it to them. If you flop a monster that cant loose on the river, start tank calling to induce bluffs.

Last, try to avoid high variance spots. This means multiway pots with a marginal hand, Players that like to shove flop, opening for a good portion of your stack in early position, calling in the SB etc.

Also do not call an all in from short stacks. They will always make the best hand even in multiway pots no matter what cards they hold. Also avoid calling shoves on monotone boards without the nut flush. This because the 4th cards always hits.

Last edited:
A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategies to free games, there are thousands, but you should be focused on following them, otherwise it will be a waste of time trying to apply them in your game
If you're a frustrated player playing freeroll tournaments, you might want to rethink what strategy you use (if you use strategy), there are plenty of good players in the middle of those giant freeroll tournaments fields, but we should agree that at least 70% of the field is made up of medium and mediocre players and it is exactly with this type of player that you should be VERY careful, but you ask me why you take so much care and then I will explain.
These bad / average players are mostly playing just by playing and as they do not pay a buy-in to play they end up playing several hands and are constantly going all in, in the initial phase there is not much secret to play, their range of hands must be very tight, have patience, wait a monster hand and go all in, if you have AA, KK, QQ, AK, avoid bleffs, because they are very unsuccessful, tournament start bluff does not pass, you always go take a turn, avoid limp, but understand the word "avoid", there are times you can use limp, but still, avoid.
In theory it is very simple, apply it that becomes difficult, in most cases, we fall from a tournament for several factors, error-impatience-haste-discouragement-
I always advise to try to get as much information as possible from your opponent, do not rush, your best hand will reach, and you will be able to raise your stack, know that when you bluff, someone can be NUTS, so avoid making unnecessary plays too often.
good luck

This was very helpful information!

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to get it in with almost any 2 at the beginning of a freeroll tournament and then play better after I've established a stack which means waiting for the good hands before I make my strike. I like to try and make hands before I let any big amount go into the pot. It's hard though because a lot of people will bet big preflop. To me that's gambling.

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the large fee rolls, conventional patient poker doesnt seem to be all that successful. Any strategies that seem to stick out a little bit more. Fast and free? Sit out til blinds go up? Bet big when you do? Look for Donks?
play as mutch tables as you can to make many tournament and play with strong hand and hardly never bluff them

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategies to free games, there are thousands, but you should be focused on following them, otherwise it will be a waste of time trying to apply them in your game
If you're a frustrated player playing freeroll tournaments, you might want to rethink what strategy you use (if you use strategy), there are plenty of good players in the middle of those giant freeroll tournaments fields, but we should agree that at least 70% of the field is made up of medium and mediocre players and it is exactly with this type of player that you should be VERY careful, but you ask me why you take so much care and then I will explain.
These bad / average players are mostly playing just by playing and as they do not pay a buy-in to play they end up playing several hands and are constantly going all in, in the initial phase there is not much secret to play, their range of hands must be very tight, have patience, wait a monster hand and go all in, if you have AA, KK, QQ, AK, avoid bleffs, because they are very unsuccessful, tournament start bluff does not pass, you always go take a turn, avoid limp, but understand the word "avoid", there are times you can use limp, but still, avoid.
In theory it is very simple, apply it that becomes difficult, in most cases, we fall from a tournament for several factors, error-impatience-haste-discouragement-
I always advise to try to get as much information as possible from your opponent, do not rush, your best hand will reach, and you will be able to raise your stack, know that when you bluff, someone can be NUTS, so avoid making unnecessary plays too often.
good luck

SOLID post.

I agree with everything there, 100%.

Be prepared for tons of hard decisions early,

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls, wait for strong hands and then press the limits of your bet. Simply bet big with a premium hand.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the strategy, play tight get a big stack, and wait out the fish good luck..it CAN be done!

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My take on the freerolls ( and I played and cashed quite a few ) is as it follows :
if it a turbo 3-5min blinds and early, then shove any pocket pair or AQ from button or if less then 2 players went all in and hope for a double up and play from there also will call short stacks with higher then pocket 7's or AT and following same rule until close to the bubble .
on the bubble abuse any shorter stacks or players you see that fold a lot in the hope of a cash , if I am the short stack I will only call with AQ and up.
- on any freerolls with blinds from 8 min up , I will try to limp or call up to 3 x with any suited aces, KQ,KJs and look for a straight flush or 2 pairs and try to play for stacks there , mid to late tournament you can treat it as a normal tournament as almost all players left by now are doing so to ., hope this helps.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to freeroll tournaments the things that dictate to me on how to play mostly is #1 what speed of tournament is it? turbo, normal etc.. #2 How many big blinds do I have? What is the cutoff for the bubble? When taking in to consideration these three elements it make it a lot easier for me to make decisions. Don't get me wrong, you still have to pay attention to the play of your opponents. When I say pay attention, I don't mean fold your card preflop and watch television. How does this person play? Does this person even know how to play? Shoving your chips all-in every time you decide to play a hand is a losing proposition. If you play enough tournaments you are going to place. You better be willing to play a lot of tournaments. Having a basic idea of how to play your starting hands out. Paying attention to the bets. These are important elements as well. What is the atmosphere on the table? Conservative loose? If you get A A UTG than limp in with them. I promise you that by making this move it will pay you off a lot more than 3 betting it, especially when you are in the early parts of the tournaments. If happen to be unfortunate and no one raises you than play out your hand appropriately from there. Don't worry as a generality some one will raise you and you can decide whether you want to shove or just 3 bet them. I like to shove at that point.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play a lot of freerolls...a lot...you will win.