mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Please share your thoughts on late registration and how it has made you more or less successful. Thanks!

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've already entered some tournaments even giving allwin to double 3 to 4 times to be more or less with 20 bb then start playing and manage to be first. When it reaches 20 bb, the guy can control the game more and play more in position.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello.
To be honest, I don't like a very long period of late registration. If it's 30 minutes, then that's fine. But 2-2.5 hours.... This is a nightmare, in my opinion, because the tournament lasts a very long time. I noticed that when I register at the last minute, the so-called luck comes in the first hand. But, the difference in stacks is very big and I just don't see the point in it: it's easier to play the tournament first and calmly increase the stack than to rely on luck by registering in the last minutes when the blinds are just huge.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
@spectralwave I agree that 20BB is a good point to be able to play...less than that is pretty tough. Not sure I would late reg with less than 20 BB to start with.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
@Chica_bonita When I am playing a tournament and there is a very long reg period, it is definitely troublesome. I hate it when I have started from the beginning and then people can late reg and have more chips than me. It makes me want to try coming in very late just to save the time but I am not sure if I am missing out on opportunities to chip up or if I am going to be forced immediately into shove/fold mode.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’m not to bothered by late reg satellites will see you jump in later in the reg often. As for direct buy, you’ll have to make sure to nit up to begin with as the blinds larger, but you get it in good and whatever your holding holds you’ll generally get chipped up pretty good. I had KK hold up some time earlier today and quadrupled up with extra. I will say I prefer to late reg into PKO’s, I don’t play anything larger than 180 man if it’s not bounty at the moment, suits my table aggressive manner. Just sat down to the $16.50 Bounty Builder, $25k Gtd. 3 all-ins first hand lol and I fold a full house ffs

Last edited:
mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
@kon44 Three all-ins on the first hand and folded a full house?!?! That sounds crazy! Hope you make it to the FT!!!

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Please share your thoughts on late registration and how it has made you more or less successful. Thanks!
The fact is that the stage of registration essentially does not affect the results of the player. Skills, experience, and of course luck are important, but the stage of registration in the tournament is not decisive.

BLMonteiro

BLMonteiro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I think that those who register late have a lower chance of winning the prizes or winning than people who are playing the tournament from the start. I never did well playing a tournament and registering late. At least on pokerstars.

bardhylmemaj

bardhylmemaj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AL
Chips
In normal tournaments, I start right from the start, but only in one case later. Like for example in RAKE THE RAKE tournaments. I'm sure you'll win 9 cents.
Oh my God, when I fell down!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When you are going to play to a regular tournament, late registration can be more successful till the middle of this additional time. When you have a faster tournament it is better to start from the first stages of the tournament.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes work, you gonna see regs doing late registration in 10k tournament in GG alot of times

AdiS18

AdiS18

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
When you are going to play to a regular tournament, late registration can be more successful till the middle of this additional time. When you have a faster tournament it is better to start from the first stages of the tournament.
Totally agree with you.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
@makisaa Thanks for the comment. Yes, I agree that for fast tournaments, you should probably start at the beginning. For deeper stacked tournaments, I like the idea of half-way through the late reg period...might be a good way to avoid the landmines and coolers in the early part of the tournament but also still start with a big enough stack.

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
registering late some times has benefits to a "feash meat "as they say

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Situation today has had me rethink the whole late reg ethos. I stand by what I said prior however I’ve won 2 x$20 Sunday Million 17th Ann. Fast Track tickets.... I don’t want to play the event as it’s 2 levels short of end of day 1. Blinds are currently 800/1600 w/200ante (15bb)... I’ve spent the last 10/15min watching the action of a few tables and pfft... Tournaments are large as the SM.... I consider late reg as late as what’s on offer as plain foolish

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've used this strategy a lot, but it puts pressure on the blinds. Today I like to go in with the tournament going on, but not under so much pressure.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer to register before the start of the tournament. On the contrary, I believe that late registration reduces the player's chances of a good result. At least for me personally, late registration is a decrease in my chances of a good result.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't prefer late registration. It just reflects your variance.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When I check in at the last minute, you must be very lucky to even qualify for the prizes. Even if you're lucky once, you're likely to lose all the other tournaments.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The detail with the late registration is the moment in which you must do it, you must think carefully about what is the ideal moment and taking into account how long the late registration is and if the tournament is fast or slow blinds, if the tournament is fast I don't mind I like registering so late, but if the tournament is slow and the registration is 3-4 hours I always wait for at least half of the registration time to pass, has it worked for me? Yes, but not always, there are days of days and tournaments of tournaments, there are those who register very close to closing the registration and their strategy is to play super aggressive, but each player must evaluate what is best for them

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Registering late for a tournament is not a bad idea, you just have to know that the stacks are reduced and you have to be ready for the push or fold.

In this case, it is necessary to open the Nash table to make the best possible decisions.

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer to register as early as possible because I think it gives me a better chance of winning the tournament.