bermejoga

bermejoga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'd like to know which strategies you guys use when you're short stack and still aren't in the money.

Personally as a recrational player, I wait until I have a significant good hand to shove and try to double my stack, and then survive a little bit more. I usually do this because of I can't keep placing bet as the flop, river and turn show off, because I just have no chips at all to do so. Then I simply think it's better to shove when you get a good hand in pre-flop.

The question is what is indeed a good hand to do so? How do you guys play in these hard situations?

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The biggest fear of an MTT player is to bust out of a tournament on the bubble. The pre-bubble is an interesting stage, as many players will gradually change their game. A lot of things will still happen: big stacks can steal and resteal, put pressure on smaller stacks; Shorties will be looking for doubling opportunities. But there will be changes. Some players who used to 3bet a lot in the past will now stop doing so. Some who defended their blinds with calls and reraises will now give them away without a fight. Some will stop raising from early and middle positions. And tight players will play even tighter.The general trend of the game is that players will play tighter and more cautiously. Even big stacks will be less likely to be aggressive because they don't want to risk their chips. You have to analyze the game of each opponent at your table and understand if his game is changing.Avoid unnecessary risks.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
the strategy is simple is to go all-in when you are short stacked but with relatively decent hands and based on the players we perceive their play, obviously the ones with enough chips are going to start abusing with worse hands, but our hands should almost always dominate against his range. My strategy is to double down or die trying.

Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
If I'm short stacked and it's only a few players left until the bubble bursts, then I may also put down premium hands if a loose big stack can act behind me. Followed out of the tournament painfully often enough with AA on Bubble, because a big stack with any-2 gets the better hand on the river.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also go all-in with a small stack. It makes no sense to raise when the stack is short. You can also push with a medium card.