The Strategic Sitting Out

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
actually on second though....let's say it's the main event, day 1. I am one of the tourney chip leaders with 320k. Average in the money chips is something like 300k and people will be squeaking into the money with 70-100k.

I look at my table draw the night before Day 2 and I'm at a table with: Phil Helmuth, Phil Ivey, Daniel Negreanu, Gus Hansen, Scotty Nguyen...then....yeah. Maybe I should just take the day off!

But if Patrik Antonius is at my table....can't do it. gotta play. mesmerized. he can have my chips (if he can take 'em)

:)

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Strategically sitting out" sounds like a lack of confidence in ones play to me. Relating to MissJacki's answer, I'd say yea if you are at a table stacked with opponents head and shoulders above the rest maybe, but if not, you are missing out on a chance to pressure the field and accumulate chips.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just did this recently in an MTT. Check out this thread.

Sitting out

I don't think it is a bad strategy depending on your chip stack relative to the chip average and what the blinds are, etc. Playing one bad hand can be more costly than winning 5 hands.

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just did this recently in an MTT. Check out this thread.

Sitting out

I don't think it is a bad strategy depending on your chip stack relative to the chip average and what the blinds are, etc. Playing one bad hand can be more costly than winning 5 hands.

Ya think?

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never see it, and dont agree with it too, it's incredible how you can do one thing like that, when you can play more agressive and "steal" players chips

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even thought I hate this strategy, it's best suited in "Triple up tourney" at bovada. The majority of these tourney use this style and I can say it works to rid of the short stacks. I absolutely hate waiting an extra 1-2 hrs, but I like easy more more

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i triple up early in the 100k freerolls on pokerstars, i just sit out for 1,5 hours and i am always in the money. After that i continue..

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This theory is just plain stupid if you ask me.
Every hand you sit out is a potential for gaining chips,studing player types and styles,getting A feel for betting patterns etc.
Also so what if you tripple up ealry in a tournament when the blinds are lo.
That means absolutly nothing,because as the blinds increase and antes come into play that stack can go oh so fast.
I say dont mis any opportunity to gain chips in a tournament.