Staking

S

skulij

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just joined GG and they have staking which I haven't seen on the few other sites I play. I don't get most of it though I understand the basic idea but what I really don't get is I have seen players with 100-200K in winnings looking to be staked 60% in a $3-5 buyin tournament. What am I missing? is it just a way to play more tournaments with the same outlay and less ITM share?

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess there could be several reasons. One of them is to reduce variance by risking less bankroll. Since tournaments have a lot of variance, you should have at least 250-300 buy-ins of each level at least and be able to absorb several months of downside. That is, a MTT player must have his expenses paid for at least half a year or a year. Not less than that. You can't depend on the results, so I guess there are many different cases and reasons to risk less of your own money. Still, it would be rare for a 100-200k player to be at levels $3-$5. I have not seen that case mentioned. But I have seen cases of players who play or have played at higher levels, and for various reasons ask for staking at lower levels than those they usually or used to play. One of those reasons is also the skills. If you have a higher level, it is preferable to ask for staking of this lowe levels, and not play levels where you do not feel as comfortable or do not have as much skill over the regular average.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
play poker better betting it's very bad excitement doesn't lead to quitting betting go to poker and enjoy life

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't get most of it though I understand the basic idea but what I really don't get is I have seen players with 100-200K in winnings looking to be staked 60% in a $3-5 buyin tournament. What am I missing? is it just a way to play more tournaments with the same outlay and less ITM share?
It depends a lot, if we are talking about 100-200k in profits or 100-200k in cashes. In the latter case they might be losing players, who have just played a lot, and now they are essentially broke. But if its 100-200k in profit, then I have to assume, they are doing it as a sort of advertisement. If you have tried to stake someone for a few bucks, then maybe you are more likely to do it later, when they play a high-roller, where they actually need it.

S

skulij

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends a lot, if we are talking about 100-200k in profits or 100-200k in cashes. In the latter case they might be losing players, who have just played a lot, and now they are essentially broke. But if its 100-200k in profit, then I have to assume, they are doing it as a sort of advertisement. If you have tried to stake someone for a few bucks, then maybe you are more likely to do it later, when they play a high-roller, where they actually need it.
Yah it's 100-200 in winnings so maybe they have gone bust.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yah it's 100-200 in winnings so maybe they have gone bust.
There is your explanation. Its not that difficult to cash for 100-200k in online poker tournaments, if you put in decent volume and perhaps play a bit higher, than you should ;)