Which stakes do you prefer?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I played $2 and had AQ. Raised 6BBs. Villain called with K10 suited (diamond). Flop 7 Q 4. One diamond. I bet pot value and villain calls. Down comes the Ace of diamonds. I then bet again and he puts me all in and hits a diamond on the river. It’s these scenarios in low stakes that really annoy me!
When you complain about a hand like this, you are essentially saying, that you prefer your opponents to play well and get their chips in good, because then it is not possible for them to get lucky and suck out on you. Just take a moment to consider, how absurd that is, if your goal is to win money in poker. Maybe this video can help :)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today I played $2 and had AQ. Raised 6BBs. Villain called with K10 suited (diamond). Flop 7 Q 4. One diamond. I bet pot value and villain calls. Down comes the Ace of diamonds. I then bet again and he puts me all in and hits a diamond on the river. It’s these scenarios in low stakes that really annoy me!
they can be annoying, if you can't handle these losses, but hands like these are why microstakes can be very profitable.

you have to think of your long term results in situations like these against bad players who make costly mistakes. microstakes are full of players who are basically easy money if you know how to handle negative variance

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When you complain about a hand like this, you are essentially saying, that you prefer your opponents to play well and get their chips in good, because then it is not possible for them to get lucky and suck out on you. Just take a moment to consider, how absurd that is, if your goal is to win money in poker. Maybe this video can help :)

Thanks that video really helps. I will try and be more zen! I think I just had a cluster of losses when I was ahead statistically but my money has been going in the right direction so I can’t complain! I’ve grown it from $25 dollars since starting this thread to $50 so I will continue doing what I’ve been doing and try not to get annoyed!

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree, the higher the buy in, the more cautious players are with fishing.

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
they can be annoying, if you can't handle these losses, but hands like these are why microstakes can be very profitable.

you have to think of your long term results in situations like these against bad players who make costly mistakes. microstakes are full of players who are basically easy money if you know how to handle negative variance
Your zen advice led me to a win. Thank you sir!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes you get weird anomalies like the $16 sngs on Bovada might be easier than the $8 sngs because the $16s don't run as much and the regs would rather have 4 games going than wait hours for a $16 to run.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I feel more comfortable at the mid stakes levels. Of course, due to bankroll issues, sometimes you cannot play all the midstakes and you have to play some at low stakes. But I find myself more comfortable at those levels because I think there are better players and you can develop your game better. Of course there are always recreational but to a lesser extent.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
i am hoping to become a freeroll King !

L

LemmyCarp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips

It is full of fish at all the tables, you have to be very careful when you bet, there are very few who follow real strategies

Last edited by a moderator:
rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to play above $5, avoid getting the all-in crazies

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
IF you bankroll can pay it then preffer $5 + tourneys

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In larger buy-in tournaments you will see that the players play more calmly, but it is not always like that, I suppose that sometimes there are people who are a bit maniacal, crazy and out of control, they eliminate and rebuy them over and over again like if money gets in the way, but hey it is true that there is a little more control in larger tournaments

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks that video really helps. I will try and be more zen!
Happy that you found it usefull :)
I’ve grown it from $25 dollars since starting this thread to $50
If those $50 is supposed to be some sort of bankroll, then you definitely need to stick to the low end of the micros for now. Even $2 SnGs is very aggressive bankroll management with just $50 in the account. But as I said before, this does not really matter, if you are willing and able to top up the account with money from outside poker, should it be needed.

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Happy that you found it usefull :)

If those $50 is supposed to be some sort of bankroll, then you definitely need to stick to the low end of the micros for now. Even $2 SnGs is very aggressive bankroll management with just $50 in the account. But as I said before, this does not really matter, if you are willing and able to top up the account with money from outside poker, should it be needed.
Yeah I don’t really mind the management side of things. If I lose it’s fine. I’m up to $65 now though!