Some tips for anyone who wants to play MTTs

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cheers guys, will post more in the next few days so if anyone has any questions etc feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer :)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post Pascal.

I currently don't really have the time to play any bigger than 100 player MTTs but your advice is solid, esp. on long dry spells and BRM.

I personally play 100 buy-ins deep on every site I play at but I fully understand your argument to have a bigger roll, I just don't want to leave that money on any site.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Txs, good info and inspiring... For me the 3-4PM timestart with only turbos after 11, meaning bedtime (sometimes) at 2-3AM is most sensible... time management matters as much as BRM...

glenn6971

glenn6971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read this post thoroughly from start to finish. It gave me a lot of different scenarios that I hadn't thought of previously. Thanks for posting this and hopefully the info will help me.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Glad you guys like the thread :)

Nice post Pascal.

I currently don't really have the time to play any bigger than 100 player MTTs but your advice is solid, esp. on long dry spells and BRM.

I personally play 100 buy-ins deep on every site I play at but I fully understand your argument to have a bigger roll, I just don't want to leave that money on any site.

Your bankroll doesn't have to be kept on a site - in fact, I'd suggest against keeping it one site. A better option would definitely be to keep it in neteller or Moneybookers, as long as you can get an RSA token for it. If not, a separate bank account might be a good idea, but in the long run an e-wallet in $ will save you a lot in exchange rates.

Saturday was my best day ever so I thought I'd add some stuff to this thread. Firstly, something I've learnt over the last few days is you're never as good as you think you are - in fact, you're no where near. There's always something you can improve a lot. I've worked a lot on pushing ranges with M (I used to use BB) and ICM over the last couple of weeks and now I want to work more on both of those, on my HU game and on learning to fold when it's obvious I'm beat but I've got a good hand. There was one mistake at a final I made yesterday where I 4bet shoved TT when I was slightly behind his range and ICM makes it a definite fold, but mistakes are there to be learnt from.

Second, tom posted this in a group chat and I thought it made a lot of sense - "Jared once asked me, ‘When you look at a weather forecast and it says it’s going to rain, do you get mad when you go out and it’s raining? So why do you continually get angry when you know variance is going to happen?’" MTT variance is huge, especially when you have a fairly small edge like I have. You've got two options - either try to ride out the variance, or improve your edge. Initially I tried the first option, and after 7k games of breaking even it just wasn't working out. So, improving your game is a pretty obvious thing to do, even if you can beat the level your at. It might sound like a stupid and obvious tip, but I bet there are a lot of guys out there beating the game who aren't studying as hard as they should be.

Finally, thanks to Jake and Arran for the tip to spend my FPPs on the 235FPP 6max hypers to the Sunday Storm. Ended up getting double what I would have got in instant bonuses :)

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goede posts en uitleg!

I also rather play regular on different sites, to reduce the big fields variance on Stars.

Sometimes I guess I play on 2 many different sites that I wil sit out in a few without noticing, because of the differents software tables wouldn't pop up if it is my turn. How do you solve this?

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never noticed your location before Pascal.

You on Erasmus in Groningen?

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I guess I play on 2 many different sites that I wil sit out in a few without noticing, because of the differents software tables wouldn't pop up if it is my turn. How do you solve this?

I stack my sites in separate stacks and make sure they don't overlap the buttons. Stars.com top left, Stars.fr top right, Winamax along the bottom (the tables don't normally pop forward). When I get home and start playing Party again as well on a PC which can cope with 4 sites I'll just put them on a different screen or make all tables smaller.

Aldito - yeah, I am :)

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same, but in germany.

Just noticed something about the image with your layout/setup.

The two tables have different screen names. Do you have two stars accounts? And if so, how can you log into both at the same time?

**EDIT: Derp, didn't read the whole of that last post...my bad

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ahh, cool :) what uni you at back at home? where about in uni are you?

Stars.fr is a pretty cool site - anyone with a European bank account can join and play. The rake makes it not worth it for cash but the MTT choice is pretty fun. They're definitely soft and there's some cool €30 turbos and €10rs but unfortunately it's becoming less profitable day by day as more and more regs sign up due to the small fields :(

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool I might look into .fr. After 2 years of playing poker I still don't know which is for me, cash or MTT. My best results have come from small field MTTs but the overall goal is to play live poker so I guess cash is still the way to go.

I go to Trinity in Dublin and I'm in Trier near Luxembourg this year.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fair enough :) There's just not enough money in live MTTs unless you're playing really high (1k-5k buyins) because of bad structures, bad hourlys and high rake, so live cash would definitely be the way to go.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that it is a real bummer when the table needing action does not automatically come to the front. I have missed a lot that way too. Sometimes the tab on your lower task bar will flash, so keep an eye on that.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that it is a real bummer when the table needing action does not automatically come to the front. I have missed a lot that way too. Sometimes the tab on your lower task bar will flash, so keep an eye on that.

This is so irritating I agree. Think I could buy a nice car from all the money left on table while table isn´t popping up :D

Variance haven´t been mine friend on FR. sites so far:eek:

seqas

seqas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for nice read :) def useful for me and some i will take with me to

T

trigga3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
might be a dumb Q but whats the diff between pokerstars.com nd .fr dont know what fr is

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
might be a dumb Q but whats the diff between pokerstars.com nd .fr dont know what fr is

It's the french domain name. Frogs aren't allowed to play on normal sites.

F

fkucdaw0rld

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
damn this is an awesome post...thanks OP..im def gonna keep coming back to this and making sure i abide by it...thanks

danprince10

danprince10

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So Pascal, you play poker for a living then? (just guessing based off of all the hours you put in)

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Huh?:confused:

Thanks for the bump though...must have missed this when it was current.

Great thread!

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the post. It will help me focus on long time goals. The BRM part also a great help. Thanks again

C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips. Hopefully will it will help me to play at a higher level.

Poker Tips