Some SNG Questions

R

rule72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I mean no offense to never call with below 7 bb is just dumb...

But also I consider calling with ace highs right around that 4-7 bb range where you need to make a move.

I take no offense, poker is not a game of perfect (paraphrasing a book on golf), but poker is one game where there may be no perfect answer.

So in that respect we may agree to disagree.

Using part of your reply, 3-handed and you have 7 bb's :
If everyone is approximately equal stacked meaning outrageous blind levels you're not playing poker it's a combination of bingo and "who's chicken". I'd try and work out a chop.

If you're the short stack on the button you will blind out in 5 rounds, 14 hands and if you call-fold in the button or small bind that's a disaster. Fold equity is minimal at 7 bb's.

I won't claim to never call...but I'd probably slow playing AA or KK in most cases.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I meant short in regard to bb mainly. I found this interesting but I do not know about your one point a raiser will not fold if all the play looks like a steal attempt and you shove on him to apply pressure I believe he still will fold a vast majority of the time allowing you to pick up an even bigger pot honestly even in 4 handed I try to avoid those weak aces if I can to avoid being in awful shape and being dominated. But I agree that in position is very powerful and allows you for more shove steals if blinds are very high.

Heres an example: if its 5 handed and you have A2suited on the BTN with 7bb, then we might want people to fold to our shove since its probably a little worse than a flip if somoene calls. if someone with 30bb open-raises to 3bb from UTG, are they going to fold to your shove for another 4bb? probably not, so a fold might be best.

Same thing, 5 handed A2 suited on the BTN with 7bb and this time, no one raises infront of you. this time it might be a good idea to shove because then you only need to make the blinds fold to pick up the pot.

Now pretend, its still 5 handed and you're on the BTN with KK and 7bb... well now you definitely want people to call. so if UTG raises to 3bb, you would shove because UTG is likely to call. If no one raises infront of you though, and youre not sure if the blinds will call your open shove, then maybe you want to just raise to 3bb to get a call or 3bet from the blinds, then put the rest in on the flop.

this is of course just my strategy, maybe I'm wrong though.. i hope this makes sense

jgreenman18

jgreenman18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take no offense, poker is not a game of perfect (paraphrasing a book on golf), but poker is one game where there may be no perfect answer.

So in that respect we may agree to disagree.

Using part of your reply, 3-handed and you have 7 bb's :

If everyone is approximately equal stacked meaning outrageous blind levels you're not playing poker it's a combination of bingo and "who's chicken". I'd try and work out a chop.

If you're the short stack on the button you will blind out in 5 rounds, 14 hands and if you call-fold in the button or small bind that's a disaster. Fold equity is minimal at 7 bb's.

I won't claim to never call...but I'd probably slow playing AA or KK in most cases.

Well I guess in a regard we also disagree on this respect just cause everyone has under 10 bb it does not turn to bingo. In most instances the game will go to the aggressor and or those who are willing to take a chance based on those willing to call and get it in good. People who play tight In these phases will be blinded out and lose.

jgreenman18

jgreenman18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heres an example: if its 5 handed and you have A2suited on the BTN with 7bb, then we might want people to fold to our shove since its probably a little worse than a flip if somoene calls. if someone with 30bb open-raises to 3bb from UTG, are they going to fold to your shove for another 4bb? probably not, so a fold might be best.

Same thing, 5 handed A2 suited on the BTN with 7bb and this time, no one raises infront of you. this time it might be a good idea to shove because then you only need to make the blinds fold to pick up the pot.

Now pretend, its still 5 handed and you're on the BTN with KK and 7bb... well now you definitely want people to call. so if UTG raises to 3bb, you would shove because UTG is likely to call. If no one raises infront of you though, and youre not sure if the blinds will call your open shove, then maybe you want to just raise to 3bb to get a call or 3bet from the blinds, then put the rest in on the flop.

this is of course just my strategy, maybe I'm wrong though.. i hope this makes sense

I agree with this completely anyone that raises will be more likely to call. Especially for this small of a 3 bet but also if someone is frequently stealing you can take advantage of this due to how they are often raising with marginal holdings. Say in that same example u said we had 10 bb and he had 15 he raises to 3x as he does frequently from the cutoff we shove he does not want to risk his tournament and we have the potential to maximize our winnings by taking the blinds most likely and his raise.

K

kmart99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For starters, you could be playing great and just be on a bad run. 16 games is hardly a sample size.

I will say this, just staying out of the game is NOT the answer.

The biggest factors will be your stack size and opponent playing styles. I've enjoyed quite a bit of success at SNGs and find that solid smart small ball works as long as you have 20BBs or more at that point.

If you're down to the final four with 15BBs you look down at A10 but it goes shove call in front, let it go. Same goes with KQ. Position is crucial at this point. You can't be just shoving with any range regardless of your opponent's play. IMO.

I don't shove 66,55,44,33,22 either at 10-12BBs if someone ahead has already committed ahead of me. I'll shove those hands if I'm first to act with 2 behind. I'll shove A10 and KQ if I have two people or less behind.

Most of the decisions will ride on your stack size, position, and the style of your opponent's play.