Small Pocket Pair at Bubble Time

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any two cards are probably overcards to your 33. Hate the shove here. Calling is even worse since there are probably at least 4 guys to act after you, and if you'd hate to flip, you'd hate putting money in the pot and someone squeezing you and that will happen if it happens to be a big stack after you ace high. Easy fold there.

Last edited:
zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Building a bankroll,it mean not just to be ITM, you will get you buy in *1.8 or maximum *2.2 if you will be knowed out just after the bubble, to be in the top 10% of ITM or in the final table will garantee you a big cash prize for your buy in.
That's why, in that case i will never lay down my cards against a vilain playing any two card , my EV is positive so i will call to see the flop .

M

mcbogart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Def fold in early position near the bubble.

TomKat1958

TomKat1958

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A Pair is ALWAYS Just a Pair

Doesn't matter if you have deuces or aces for pockets, if somebody shoves in at any point in the tourney, and it's going to risk all or a big part of your chip stack, then you're not in control, you're depending on luck to win. There's always a good chance the flop is not going to go your way, much less by the time the river's out.

R

ramzaxa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It appears to be a question of stack size and position. Normally i would fold, but with less than 20 BB = shove!

P

pokervike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
<25 bb FOLD or your faced with soo many bad choices post flop your hair will turn white. >55bb Raise! Make their hair turn white! 25-50 see a flop then fold them and satisfy your need to piss away 4 bb's MP on trash and yet not appear to be the town nit or the village idiot.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My selective memory so far is telling me that folding has been a better play since I have posted this. Sure, I have missed some sets. But avoiding a coin flip with a small pocket pair has made me be ITM more often than shoving.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This poker. Don’t worry about something when you threw the cards and then came the set. Small and medium pairs are very good. But you should monitor the actions of opponents at the table. If before you have a good raise fold cards, why should you risk it with a small pair? If there are several calls make a raise, and see the reaction. Apply at the next street continuation bet and your opponent will fold.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This poker. Don’t worry about something when you threw the cards and then came the set. Small and medium pairs are very good. But you should monitor the actions of opponents at the table. If before you have a good raise fold cards, why should you risk it with a small pair? If there are several calls make a raise, and see the reaction. Apply at the next street continuation bet and your opponent will fold.

Remember that with 20BB i dont have much ammunition to raise preflop and then shove (or raise) on the flop.

However, i do like that play and I have done it a few times and it does work.

negreti

negreti

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to arrive at ITM show at least 99+