nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Hello poker family!
River slowplay is the most useless and overrated action in poker. Why burn the timer per minute? Or the opponent thinks like this: since he decided to play for time, then I call him even with a weak pair) Well, no)

Does this move annoy you? What do you think about the effectiveness of slowplay on the river?

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, for sure it has some psychological effect. I don't do it, at games I play it doesn't matter.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
I think slowplay is not always a way to psychological impact. Sometimes it can be really opponent's reflections. Only you can see and understand is your hand strong or weak.
I try not to get angry when I see slow game on the river.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
this method is to confuse your opponent and it is done only for this purpose can be used with a strong hand supposedly you think

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slowplay mean underrepresenting your hand by checking or calling rather than betting or raising very strong hands on the early streets. Its not possible to slowplay on the river, but it seems like, you mean playing slow, which is also sometimes called tanking. And I dont have a problem with that. If someone have a decision to make, its legitimate, that they take their time to think the hand through. This is what, the time bank is there for in the first place :)

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I took a while the other day to make my bet with quads, as I was trying to work out if I would get called with a jam or it would be more profitable to go smaller. In the end my internet went down so I got zero value! Though oddly my opponent checked back.

It doesn't annoy me if someone takes time to bet, often there is a real decision to be made. Even if it's a clear bet sizing is important. Also if bluffing you will need time to credibly think through what you are representing, so you cant just quickly bet value hands.

Also remember some people are multitabling which means they will take longer.

In summary it doesnt bother me and I am probably guilty of it!

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise too fast can scare the other player. But I agree that it's annoying when the other user purposely takes a long time to make a decision.

D

diegowra

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I hate slow players, but it also happens that sometimes the same player has 4 open tables, but it depends a lot.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello poker family!
River slowplay is the most useless and overrated action in poker. Why burn the timer per minute? Or the opponent thinks like this: since he decided to play for time, then I call him even with a weak pair) Well, no)

Does this move annoy you? What do you think about the effectiveness of slowplay on the river?
These actions happen and if you multi table and grind poker they will occur many times a day-Our goal on the mental game side of poker is to stay neutral emotionally regarding this and simply act on our hand as we should
If you are one tabling it is a good time to replay the hand -in our minds- from the beginning (range villain) to make sure we are making the correct choice on Villains actions-

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don’t always think so) Sometimes you need to pretend that you think, thereby showing your weak hand, which you still want to open, but only after a re-raise or an all-in opponent)
I think you understand what I mean)

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not really.

Generally, good players breathe and think and act... not acting automatically...
so they need time to think about the possibilities, whether or not such a move makes sense.

I see that most players play in a hurry and end up failing to convey some information, whether strength or weakness that we can explore.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I see on broadcasts, it's more because the player is thinking about the move, from what I see on a daily basis (general), to really try to convey a message of "strong/weak hand - bluff", or they're playing several tables.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I agree this is irritating but I have also noticed more and more players especially in MTTs are using slow play more and more, I guess either as an irritant or just to increase blinds if they are doing well in chips ,maybe its time for action/play timers??

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello poker family!

Poker is a game of strategies and tools. If you can confuse your opponent or protect your range by slowplaying , I think it's a reasonable thing to do.

Last edited:
A

AndreB

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
Just chill, a must control emotion. Some People Must Take a Time

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is not very positive, but maybe the opponent plays a lot of tables, otherwise it is very unpleasant, I condemn such players

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Slowplaying is good only in appropriate moments and cases

rvicente13

rvicente13

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I particularly play using all my waiting time available, so I confuse the villain and also use the time to analyze my hand, imagine possible cards or combinations that the opponent may have...

Zaner

Zaner

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i don't like slow play,but i do this when someone do this with me but this is not revenge i just entry in the party haha

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
sometimes people need to think about the hand and takes time, nothing to complain about.
just enjoy the game.

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
  • it all depends on the client, if there is information that he is inclined to float and bluff, then of course it is more profitable to cover the hand)))

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello poker family!

Slowplay on the river? I would like to know what meaning you put in this expression. But if it annoys you, the opponent has already achieved his goal.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello poker family!

sometimes players play many tournaments at the same time, and just at that moment they play at a different table

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When you have the nuts and most of the players fold, then this might would be a way to pretend weakness and pull more opponent chips on the table. It is really a rare behaviour!