Slow Playing AA, When Not to in tourney

M

mainstream13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ill only slow play them in the middle or the end of the tournament at the start most of the players call any thing (for freerolls)

B

billhill999

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a certain amount of truth to the old adage "Slow play=no pay"

I read Daniel Negreanu's book, he preaches small ball, by small ball Daniel suggests when ever you can take down a pot, take it down.

Bet the aces hard, if you have no call "all in" preflop then do it if you have to, if that what it takes to bring down the pot. Fast pennies are better than slowly lost dollars.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WSUP Hype, welcome to CC!!

No hand, be it AA or 2-7 off, should be played based solely on what it is. You gotta see what the circumstances are each time.

For example, if I know I will get more than two callers if I shove my aces, then I do not shove them. Same thing as when I know if I shove them I'll just get folds. I want to avoid 3-5 way melees where I could easily lose, yet I do want callers with a premium hand.

Plus, you do not want to advertise every time you do and don't have a strong hand. If you always shove big pairs, then they know when you do not have a big pair, don't they?

Betting tells are incredible sometimes. There are players you can put on a range of hands just by the amount they bet. Bigger bets equal bigger hands. Thats what you want to avoid.

This is solid advice. I know it hurts when you FINALLY get AA only to get them smashed by someone who shouldn't have called anything preflop, much less a 3-5 times the bb or your shove. But AA is a powerful tool for collecting chips and simply shipping it everytime you have a premium hand is going to make it very easy to play against you. Part of being a good poker player is being deceptive. You DON'T want your opponents knowing what you have, you want them guessing and your strategy does not play into that theory and when your opponents can be reasonably certain as to what you have, then they will know how to beat you.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't the word "slowplay" just a code word for "suboptimal" that new/bad players use when talking about single pairs preflop? If you want to be tricky flop the nuts OOP and take a check/call line against a solid AGGRO player. That's a "slowplay".

How do you even go about slow playing aces? Isn't the entire point to get all the money in preflop? That should be your only goal with Aces and when you get them you need to figure out how to make that happen.

I rarely flat with aces, you want to open or 3bet. Maybe Phil Galfond will flat aces like 20% of the time in position just to range balance, but overall you should be raising raising and raising more.(none of you can think like him) If you've been playing a balanced style then your opponents will recognize your hand range as being far wider than just top 5 premiums, hence you get paid.

Also, under no circumstances should you ever ever ever limp aces in early position. It's such a terrible play and you always lose value!

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok here is my advice Never slow play aces in start of tourneys becuase theres to many bad players and you are trying to extract value so i always go all in or 5bet simple
but later on in tourney you might want to start thinking about a diffrent stragety when people start understanding your range of hands and betting stlye
when at a full table i always will shove or 5bet
but when say it is down to 4 people you might want to start trapping
but slow playing them always leaves room for people to hit 2 pair or flush or striaght or trips or whatever it is that leaves you broke and homeless
we have all slow played aces bad

I honestly love getting AA in BB position it will make you the most profit hands down
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS TOPIC

Slow playing AA is good at times early on. Depending on whos limping more often to the left, or whether they like to raise preflop, then that makes it much easier to determine whether slow playing or raising is correct.

Usually easier to let someone do the work for me and raise out with something worse, and i think that allows more options to play aces different because you can excercise aggression by re raising or allowing your opponent to make a mistake when you call em on PF,F,T,R etc.. Its really hard to get it in by shoving all in and to get max value at the early stages and I don't like seeing limpers when I got AA so, i might just shove and hope for a call by something worse

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should only slowplay aces in certain situations like on early positions or in late positions if all the other players fold their hands, also in heads up you can limp on sb to make villain make a raise so you can shove all in or call the raise and make a big raise on the flop, however in most cases i wouldnt recommend slowplaying aces preflop because your aces will lose lot of value if more than 3 players are involved on the hand

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in the early levels slowplaying AA is bad idea bc of the stack depth at the start of mtts . At the beginning of an mtt, you are usually at least 80-100bbs deep or more . With stacks so deep we want to build a pot with AA and slowplaying them will usually result in us winning a small pot or losing a big one ! I dont mind slowplaying big hands later in mtts when stacks shrink and players are more likely to commit with 1 pair hands .

ChillinVillian

ChillinVillian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't you just love 4-5 betting your AA only to end up all-in pre flop and to be ahead of another pp or ak ! Of course we have all had this happen and then lose the hand as well . There is no for sure hand till all the cards are out but you have to roll with it right ? I don't slow my AA anyways , and I would rather go with the race !:eek:

H

Hybeats

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
U should never slow play Aces in low limit mtt(early-mid stage), but u can think about it when ure on final table

G

garpsc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when i try to slowndow generally goes bad, so it's better gain just the blinds than lose all your chips

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
tournament you lose the ability to maximize the pot is not a good move with a AA

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA rise 30% of one's ante at preflop, with bluff intention.
rise 50% of one's ante at flop, if no flush or straight possible.
call or not at river, if no flush or straight possible.
All-in or fold, if other player ALL-in

Z

zkel1980

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WSUP Hype, welcome to CC!!

Betting tells are incredible sometimes. There are players you can put on a range of hands just by the amount they bet. Bigger bets equal bigger hands. Thats what you want to avoid.

Have you ever watched Negreanu putting people on hands, he usually gets high card bang on and kicker within 3, it's amazing!!!!!

J

joe31705

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only slowplay when I know a lagtard is going to bet for me. And that is only in position