Skills and Luck in a tournament

G

Gakcards

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How much skills is needed vs luck to win a tournament? Percentage wise.

Share your thoughts

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To pull numbers out of thin air that I think would be close to accurate, I'll say 75% skill and 25% luck.

I think it's fair to say every deep run in a tournament I've ever had involved an element of luck. I sucked out where I needed too, and hit big hands in situations where my opponents had a good chunk of the board as well.

But you need to have skills in place to make good decisions the majority of the time. When you're making good decisions as a standard, the times you get lucky boost you that little bit further that we all need.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well you will get lucky on a hand every 100-200 plays maybe, a lot of people think it's luck to win a hand that is 60-40 ~ 70-30 when in fact it's when you hit those 1-2 outs to win. So, as experts always say, it's a game of skill that even when luck strikes you need to know how to use it to extract the most value from every situation.

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Just a reminder that we sometimes get lucky when we don’t win.

So many think are considered when you start a hand…the first is to play the hand or not. Depending on stack, cards, position and pre-flop action we decide to play or fold. Consider all those factors and our range…there are times we might call a raise with a certain hand and times we’ll fold it. Maybe we just got food delivered and we can’t focus right now so we fold it…we’re just not felling it so we fold it. Then you see the flop and think dam that’s my 2 pair…and as you watch the turn and river your playing out in your head what you would do…by the end…your think…man I wish I played that because I would have busted them…only to see them flip a pocket pair that turned into a set…or you would have had and Ace high flush crushed by a straight flush. Then you think…wow luckily I folded that!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My skill to luck ratio in poker is 80/20.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think sometimes it's what part is bad luck. Somedays I will have very good, second-best hands one right after another. I dont think any amount of skill helps on those days except skill of the fold and take a break for the day.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls have more of a luck component I believe.
But tournaments have way more variance anyhow vs cash so
really hard to say...

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Average for a decent poker player to get in the money is about 14-20%. That is just to cash, not to win. How often does a good poker player win? 1-3% maybe? That should be all you need to know about luck versus skill. It's almost all luck, but without skill the winning percentage will be close to zero!

It's elementary statistics. There's no need to dress this up as anything else.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is either there or not - it all depends on the point of view. For example, many players are deeply convinced that tournament poker is a lottery where everything depends on luck. Undoubtedly, it will not be possible to win a major tournament for several hundred or thousands of people without good luck.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Share your thoughts

I would say 70x30 for skill.

Often times you can dominate your opponent, but if you are on a bad day, the 3 outs will appear on the river and you will lose the tournament.

So that 30% luck factor is needed to complement the skill.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say 40% skill and 60% luck.. since you do really need some luck for your cards to be alive and for your cards to hit the board and for his not to hit the board

there is skill in reading other players, and bluffing them of a stronger hand

but you need a good amount of luck for it also

H

Haikala2011

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its 50/50 when playing online. Live play is naturally different and then skill ratio is higher.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After spin and go I reconsidered my views on poker and realized that luck takes about 95%

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have calculated this and poker is 1/3 bad luck, 1/3 good luck and 1/3 skill.

In a single heads up hand there are 9 cards (our 2, their 2 and the 5 on the board): these are the luck elements of a hand that we have no control over.

In the same hand there are at least 4 skill elements, we make at least one decision on every street. This decision is skill. When there are raises, then we may have two decisions on a particular street or even 3. Generally we have no more than 6 decisions in a single hand. When there are more players in a hand, there are more luck elements (>2 more unknown cards) but not necessarily more decisions, because there are still only 4 streets of betting.

So, if we have 15 total elements in a hand, of which 9 are luck and 6 are skill, then luck represents 60% of the hand. 1/2 of the luck is good and 1/2 of it is bad. So, mathematically, it is 40% skill, 30% good luck and 30% bad luck.

We own the decisions, so make good ones.

Good luck and God bless.

L

Lol1x1

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

Share your thoughts
The exact percentage cannot be said, especially if it is a tournament with a large number of participants, especially with a large number of fish...:confused:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Share your thoughts

1 single tournament = Mostly Luck

As you approach infinity games played, skill becomes more and more of a factor.

Skill affects long term results. If you consistently play "correctly" and forget about trying to win a specific tournament/how the cards run out, the results will pour in. ;)

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It can Vary

In my experience Luck will vary from game to game

If you are an experienced player, your skill level is going to be pretty consistent from game to game

but I've had games when I barely missed any hands and racked up the chips
even when I played a crappy hand

at other times the bad beats are coming left and right, and I can't hit my hand
even with trip aces or a full house

Luck, she be a fickle Lady!

TC

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need Skill to be successful poker player, luck helps a skilled player 5 to 10% of the time. I will take skill over luck anytime.

T

Theproone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You need Skill to be successful poker player, luck helps a skilled player 5 to 10% of the time. I will take skill over luck anytime.
Well I think it's a 50/50 thing but you don't need luck to win hell you don't even have to look at your cards it's all in the bedding and what comes up on the board and playing the players yeah it's all skill but it's 50% luck 50% skill I would sayIMG 20220116 125138  02

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You can almost never win a tournament without some level of luck. Whether it's winning a tossup all-in spot where your tournament life or much of your chip stack is at risk or drawing a luck card on turn or river, it's nearly impossible to run pure the whole way from start to finish. With that being said, I'd say 70% skill, 30% luck to win a tournament.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi

After spin and go I reconsidered my views on poker and realized that luck takes about 95%

Of course, everything that is hyper poker or spin&go like it depends a lot on luck, unlike turbo and slow in which you cannot achieve a good result without relying on strategies and skills

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Share your thoughts

Distance poker is a game of skill That's why we don't play poker just for a few hands or a few sessions. Instead, we have to play tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions of hands in our career. Ultimately, at a distance, all mathematics, statistics and odds are summed up in our favor. Provided, of course, that in most cases you had a mathematical edge over your opponents and made +EV decisions.
If you play better than your opponents, you will win in the end However, at times, the insane short-term variance that takes place in poker can drive even the most skilled and experienced players crazy. Losses with the best hands will happen regularly in this game. And if you play many hands, this can happen several times in a row. It's the same as if you tossed a coin 1000 times. I'm sure for this 1000 times there would be a segment of throws when the heads would fall out 5 times in a row. And when you're not lucky in poker for a long enough period of time, it can seriously undermine your self-confidence, and you start to doubt whether you are really a winning player, even after the past few successful years?

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if you study poker and the players will always be skills, now if you think it's luck and play terrified to get to the prize money you will never make it

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
skills 60/70% and luck 30/40% skill is not everything and neither is luck, luck has a great influence and although many people do not believe that it is so, there are different opinions and it is valid and respects the opinion of each