Skill vs random

Z

Zuuchini

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tournaments online ($5-$50) and I read a lot about it. When reading, its a mix of online and live, and levels, high and low. This doesnt make sense. And many advise are from high levels in live games, I cant relate to that. When I read about Daniels Negreanus journey, it hits me that it could have gone either way. The FT rate must be low even for his standard.
The action here are different depending of level and player. At lower stakes the pond is full of "lets go-for-it-players", fish and bad donkeys. So when I check it up how to play, the answer is, you win in the long run. But if one get busted every time is that nothing but a empty phrase.

The pattern: When I play JJ, prf standard raise in a $5 tournament rebuy game and the flop is 335. On the flop I cb 2/3 of the pot and on the turn a 5 comes up that makes a board 3355, I fire all in for value and get call by a 88, wich is good in the "long run". And I dont have to say what comes on the river. :(So the long run is allways out of reach...:eek: This mostly happens before the middle stage of the game. (At higher stakes I would have faced 3bet pre or at least on the turn).
This player will never reach the/a FT, and he/she is busted within half an hour, aginst a even worse player.
I know the variance is a part of the game. But this is not so much about skills. You can make a living out of poker, winning a tounament that pays well but if getting there is less then 5 % it feels like skill is beaten by random every day of the week. The cards come the way they comes, right?!.:evil:...
How do I get from shore to shore in this pond of bad read that and ending up busted by accident. If I play to tight I bleed to death, and to loose I end up vs random.
One need luck, you cant do well in poker without it. Or am I missing something...? I am leanig toward that poker is more of a semi-skill-game... and playing at to low stakes seems to be more expensive in the long run.