Is Sitting Out Prosperous?

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While playing a 6-player SNG that pays the top two, it came down to three seats but there was actually only two players. The third player had never even seen a pre-flop during the event. They merely registered and hit the Sit Out button. I'm aware that things can arise in the real world and draw you away. I, myself, have registered and either forgot or fell asleep and not participated in the competition, so I get it.
The other player suggested we eliminate that seat before knocking each other out and him taking any prize money. It was easier said than done, I assure you, but after about six or eight hands beyond the four BB's he had, we finally achieved our goal and continued to play. I looked at it like this. If his strategy is to not play in order to make it ITM, then ours could be folding him in order to be ITM.
So I have these questions for you. Is there anything unethical in this, what would you have done, and how do you feel about Sit Out as a means to cashing and how could it be profitable?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sitting out is not a winning strategy. If you want to play tight, you can just fold your hands manually. As for the situation, you describe, it could be considered collusion, if the two active players communicate and agree about not trying to bust each other, before the sit-out player is gone. So for me if someone makes that suggestion in the chat, then I dont reply, but I also avoid getting involved in big pots with him, until the sit-out player is gone. This is, what everyone with a bit of common sense do. During bubble play in a SnG the two big stacks dont go hard after each other, and if the short stack is sitting out, then of course there is even more incentive to let him bust first.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
More often than not, someone sitting out of an event for most-to-all of a game is not necessarily an intentional strategy. Like you mentioned, maybe something pulled them away from the game, they forgot they were registered before going away/signing off, or some other circumstance. So the scenario of players either discussing or chat or just recognizing that it's in their best interest to let the player lose their stack before knocking out what another does happen.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is that there are different situations, but poker is a game for money and many professionals say that even their own grandmother would be beaten for money

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It might work for some but I just don't understand the point.

I don't play poker to win money (although it is definitely nice to do so). I primarily play poker because I like the game in general. If I were to sit out, even if it guarantees me a paid position I will lose all the enjoyment I get from it.

I just really don't see the point:confused:

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are intrigued by this strategy I would suggest exploring an even more advanced ploy, don't register.
icon14.gif

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have put maximum pressure on the other player who was so weak to suggest that you both take it easy to make the guy sitting out bust 1st.

NDRWTRLGC

NDRWTRLGC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doubtful

only if you have no discipline when it matters