Shoving majority of your stack but leaving a blind or two behind

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been seeing a lot of this lately, players with minimal BB's remaining and making a play that effectively puts them all in but leaving a chip or two in there stack. I understand the thought of seeing a flop and mucking to keep your tournament life alive, it just seems like a -EV play to me. Anyone else notice this happening a ton more lately?

Are you not giving away the weakness of your hand in an attempt to keep your tournament life alive? (Or maybe you are trying to induce a call due because your opponent may be thinking this)?

Are you really shoving the majority of your stack with the idea of potentially folding flop or to a re-raise with 1 or 1/2 a BB behind?

Can someone help me understand the value in this play?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been seeing a lot of this lately, players with minimal BB's remaining and making a play that effectively puts them all in but leaving a chip or two in there stack. I understand the thought of seeing a flop and mucking to keep your tournament life alive, it just seems like a -EV play to me. Anyone else notice this happening a ton more lately?

Are you not giving away the weakness of your hand in an attempt to keep your tournament life alive? (Or maybe you are trying to induce a call due because your opponent may be thinking this)?

Are you really shoving the majority of your stack with the idea of potentially folding flop or to a re-raise with 1 or 1/2 a BB behind?

Two things come to mind.

1. They don't want the screen to say "All In" and scare their opponent away - but still get close to maximum value.

2. They are using the bet slider and they were lazy and didn't slide the lever all the way to the right.

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two things come to mind.

1. They don't want the screen to say "All In" and scare their opponent away - but still get close to maximum value.

2. They are using the bet slider and they were lazy and didn't slide the lever all the way to the right.
Fair assessment, but I see it in live poker all the time also, which wouldn't really apply to these scenarios.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fair assessment, but I see it in live poker all the time also, which wouldn't really apply to these scenarios.
I have bet less than my whole stack in live games just so that neither I nor the dealer say, "All in." out loud. This is usually a big tell for me from my opponent. Uh oh - now he doesn't want me to hear "All in."!!!! What hand could he have??

Even if I just shove all my chips (live) without speaking - the dealer must tell my opponent(s) that I am "All in."

I have also seen live - a player try to shove his whole stack over the betting line and some chips either fall off the top or get left behind from the bottom of the stack (like 1 or 2 chips) - and the dealer declares that the player is all in because they intended to do so.

Also important - does the player do this often? What hands does he show?

You can probably tell from my posts that I think this is usually a sign of strength.

Last edited:
Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've done it on accident. It happens like this - I'm playing multiple games. A table pops up and I 3 bet. Then I realize I barely have any chips left. If I had been paying closer attention, I would have just gone allin.
I don't know why other people do it, but that's why I've done it.

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for arguments sake, lets take accidental plays out of it. That is the easiest explanation to understand, and I am seeing it too often in live stream big money tournaments by pros to chalk it up to accident.

Seems like there has to be some GTO justification for it, I just can't logically understand it.

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I rarely noticed that. Of course there were cases, but I did not attach importance to it. Perhaps it's just that each player has his own individual characteristics, some believe in omens, some in astrology, or numerology, it's difficult to say what the real purpose of such player's actions is.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to consume more time bank if he receive an call, and delay the tournament in the bubble

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, this is done in order to remain 1v1 with someone else in the hand. When we leave ourselves a couple of chips and bet them on the flop, we give our opponent the opportunity to overbet the rest of the multipot and stay with us in the hand. (at the same time, we still take all preflop bets if we win). In general, this is the right thing to do and should always be done - it will bring great profits over the long haul.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always fun to watch this very pro move. Marking the player as millionaire.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
With this play they have the nuts or nothing ive seen pros using lately
Exactly this, especially on the river. If you are polarised, you shouldn't get raised and so if bluffing can remain in the tourney ( and also can fold if raised). Whereas you lose very little value with your value bets versus all-in sizing

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes its a misclick when you don't have a button for Allin and use bet slider for bet sizes.

Sometimes people do it because it means allin without going allin. They make very strict folds if very tight player goes Allin, especially near bubble.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is all psychological, an allin is much scarier then a 3bet or a 4bet. The villain is thinking waying his play more, calling more oft then thinking of putting hero allin to induce a fold. Also, works when they are multi-tabling

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Maybe hi wins the tournament if he losses and has a bb behind, hahhahaha

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
В последнее время я часто видел такое: игроки с минимальным количеством оставшихся BB и играют так, что эффективно ставят их всех, но оставляют в стеке одну-две фишки. Я понимаю мысль о том, чтобы увидеть флоп и сбросить карты, чтобы сохранить свою турнирную жизнь, но мне это кажется игрой с -EV. Кто-нибудь еще заметил, что это происходит намного чаще в последнее время?

Не выдаете ли вы слабость своей руки, пытаясь сохранить свою турнирную жизнь? (Или, может быть, вы пытаетесь вызвать колл, потому что ваш оппонент может так думать)?

Вы действительно ставите большую часть своего стека с идеей потенциально сбросить флоп или сделать ре-рейз с 1 или 1/2 ББ позади?

Может ли кто-нибудь помочь мне понять ценность этой пьесы?
Yes, this is often used to discard cards after a bad flop to save your life in a tournament or to delay the fight back so that while the players fly out, reserve one more move thinking for another 30 seconds and then pressing the stake is option 2 and a third option is just call last. Many people think it brings them more luck, I always bet all the chips and that's it:)

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

IMO it is a very dangerous thing to do. If the internet goes down or they have a power cut, then they will be folded out, having lost almost their entire stack.

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is understandable that this strategy catches your attention, since it is a risky and somewhat unusual tactic. Indeed, when a player pushes the majority of his stack and leaves only one or two checkers behind, he may be trying to achieve several objectives, and not necessarily revealing weakness. Here are some possible reasons behind this move:

Trapping Opponents: By leaving only one or two chips, the player may be trying to induce others to call in the hopes that they will believe they have a stronger hand and will be willing to risk the rest of their chips. In this case, they are not looking to fold on the flop, but rather attract other players to the pot to increase their winnings.

Protect the blind: In tournaments with increasing blind structures, some players use this strategy to protect their blinds. If you have a marginal hand but are about to run out of chips, you can push to avoid running out of the blind and still have a chance to survive and fight for a better time to bet your chips.

Offbalance Attempt: By making this unusual play, a player can attempt to throw his opponents off balance and cause them to second-guess their decision making. Uncertainty can lead to mistakes on the part of opponents, which could be beneficial for the player making the play.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
There is no point in doing that, either you want to play for everything or not, I don't agree with doing things halfway.