Should I have been able to get away from this?

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough beat!

Yah I dont think you cold have gotten away from that hand. If you start folding top pair top kicker then you will be folding to bluffs or lesser holdings to much to make poker profitable!:icon_thum

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd of raised it to 6 or 7bb in this situation to me it looks stronger, the raise to 9.5bb to me looks like you didn't want a call which would suggest a weaker holding. As its so early in the tourney we can only speculate as no real info on opponent but I'd of said if you'd raised to 6bb he would still call but he'd probably fold to a 3/4 pot flop bet and if he had raised all in you would of found an easier fold. I know its hard as we know your ahead on the flop but so early in the tourney with little info on opponent and his level off aggression folding becomes a no brainer to me as in hold em anything can happen with 2 cards to come and it usually does!

Awesome thanks for responding to me. So the smaller bets size would be looking to do two things, make the hand easier to get away from if the flops comes unfavorably but it will also look like less of bluff because my earlier bet size of 9BB made it look like I didn't want to see the flop? I think that's pretty fair actually. There's definitely some situations in tournaments especially when I don't know how to play hand like AK or AQ. I think I partially over value them because they make really strong one pair hands but then I'll also under value them because they have to hit against any pair.

Thank you again for your analysis and I hope to get more comments from you in the future!

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean yeah after you lose the hand you think It could be different. I don't think you made the wrong call it just didn't pan out for you and that's poker. his range gets nullified IMO by the Preflop Call. You're Holding the best King. If he would have had Ks there would have been more action preflop. If he's holding a Jack hes more than likely going to stroke you along until the turn where he can get value. It was a good call , terrible turn.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awesome thanks for responding to me. So the smaller bets size would be looking to do two things, make the hand easier to get away from if the flops comes unfavorably but it will also look like less of bluff because my earlier bet size of 9BB made it look like I didn't want to see the flop? I think that's pretty fair actually. There's definitely some situations in tournaments especially when I don't know how to play hand like AK or AQ. I think I partially over value them because they make really strong one pair hands but then I'll also under value them because they have to hit against any pair.

Thank you again for your analysis and I hope to get more comments from you in the future!

Yeah you've got it, when playing and reviewing hands try to think what does this look like to my opponent it's a crucial part of understanding a hand.

Good luck at the tables