Short stack in a knockout tournament

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a regular tournament, you can play a short stack, a lot of tables where it is described in detail how many bb should be played, in what position, in CC posts in detail and reasonably suggested a way out of this situation

I wanted to say that I have not found a more or less reasonable answer how to play a knockout tournament, if you have a short stack, a frenzied hunt begins for you, the chances of survival are almost zero, even the most garbage hands will call your all in

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Why fear playing against Garbage hands? If you play good card starting hands then you will win most.
After you win a couple and get their stack the you can suffer a sickout and still be in the game. I love people like that and contrary to what people say they don't win every hand.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5a6f2d70bdd3667f7c1ebe245310d66e.png

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flop composition and the high probablility of our opponents overvalueing and overplaying ak aq j a10 in that spot can be very EV+ 10-15 BBs deep
2f4feb4dabdb0b420950ccdcccd139e6.png

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have you taken Cardschats 30 day Learning Course on Poker its Great!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like thinking about implied fold equity on future streets coupled with bluff outs and a solid read on my opponents

MTT play NOT cash games

Its a really great course that covers alot
After that you can swing by Gripsed and he will get you to the next level and get you connected with the community and mabey score you some free entrys into some real money MTTS
6bde0b3a12c984af2758232d49eee9ae.png

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a regular tournament, you can play a short stack, a lot of tables where it is described in detail how many bb should be played, in what position, in CC posts in detail and reasonably suggested a way out of this situation

I wanted to say that I have not found a more or less reasonable answer how to play a knockout tournament, if you have a short stack, a frenzied hunt begins for you, the chances of survival are almost zero, even the most garbage hands will call your all in
Yes you have less fold equity but steal less and play hand for value.
Make sure you don't fall to short in term of BB because its may be right to call you with any2hand.
Here a free video from pokercoaching.com LEARN to CRUSH in PKO BOUNTY TOURNAMENTS

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wait for a good hand to shove and hope to double or triple your stack... villains are going to call you with a wide ranges of hands so you will have a good opportunity to increase your stack.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At this case you play all-in , with the best available hand you will get, even if this means that you will play a weak hand. Usually these cases are about low buy-in mtts, satellites for bigger tournaments and so because of the low buy-in you can play many of them or you will have the option to rebuy many times.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
surprisingly simple. I play so much and did not know that such a percentage
Too simple an example----- 88-52 off is 15.5% we want to use equilab to assign a range not just pick best case situations for hands- 5-2 off is a GTO fold BB vs UTG at 15bb and yet GTO plays 78% from BB and the 52 is still a fold vs GTO which is a much wider open range than standard UTG opens.
Equilab has 52off at 28% vs UTG GTO open range at 15bb this is not a good call preflop our skill advantage is not going to overcome these numbers long term
We also have to remember that equity number is to the river but how do we get to the river on most flops when we do not make a pair or have a strong draw on turn- so we can easily adjust that 28% down as 2/3rds of flops will be bad for us that means 2/3 of the time we do not realize equity so our real equity number is 18% vs range I fold 52 off because of this

Last edited:
I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't know how to play Knocout and bounty tournaments very well. But in this information you mentioned there is already an answer, if you are short stack you will be chased by your reward. This will help you get called when you get a value hand.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Exactly for this reason, it's easier to double up, even triple up and even more up with a good hand in PKO tournaments once short stacked. People call with garbage and hunt for bounties, especially big ones. I'd say don't use the bottom of the ranges, pick your hands for the shoves, and pay close attention to the players, their stack sizes and their behaviour towards calling for a bounty. You can use all of this to your advantage, especially if your bounty is big.

It's sort of similar to getting back to the game once you got short stacked in the early stage of the tournament. Since your stack can be still pretty playable (like 15-18 blinds), but it looks so small compared to the starting/average stack, that you can get called with pretty wide range while shoving. It's pretty easy to double up in this scenario Vs how that stack size would feel shoving once it's a middle or late stage in the tournament, when effective stack is 40ish, for example.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still follow the same strategy for the regular tournaments, wait for a good hand and try to double up. Of course in the KO you will have someone call almost all the time when you're short stack, but sometimes you can even triple or quadruple your stack because everyone wants your bounty.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have you taken Cardschats 30 day Learning Course on Poker its Great!
I watched this course after I played in the tournament, it's really good, I hope to go through to the end, the only difficulty is not my best knowledge of English, but in general I understand what it's about

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In tournaments we talk about ICM, and usually this mean, that chips won are worth less than chips lost. Like if we get it all-in against an opponent in the first hand in a 9-man SnG for 10$ (+ rake) and win, then our EV is not 20$ but only 18,2$, so we need 55% equity to call ignoring the blinds and antes. However in a bounty tournament if we win the hand, now we collect his bounty, which would typically be 2,5$, and our chips are now worth 17,7$. The number is slightly lower, because the 2,5$ is taken out of the price pool, so that we are now only fighting for 87,5$ rather than 90$. But even so our EV went from 10$ to 20,2$, so we only needed 49,5% equity to get it in.

So gambling is rewarded in bounty tournaments, and if we get short, we typically wont have fold equity. This mean, we should reduce bluffing and get it in with a linear range, which does well enough against the range, people will call us with. But we typically dont need as much equity when called as in regular tournaments, because it has value for future hands to bring ourself back to a position, where we can contend for other peoples bounties. PKOs are the polar opposite of satellite tournaments, where our only goal is to outlast enough other players to cash. In PKOs cashing is almost secondary, and the main goal is to accumulate chips and then try to win bounties.

S

SteveAsh7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
The answer is definitely wait for a monster hand as most people will be looking to knock you out and claim that bounty with hands like A3, A4, J10, K3 and even sometimes worse hands like 82 lol I've seen it done. If you wait for the good old pocket pair or AK, AQ and KQ then you'll have a great chance to double up.

Madalin Poke

Madalin Poke

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is obvious that the most hunted in knockout tournaments are those with small stacks. But, as I already notice that other members mentioned above, I also think that being in great demand for the reward on your head also increases the chances to multiply your stack. When you ask for an all-in with few chips it is very tempting for others to pay you with almost anything due to your reward and you can speculate the moment properly if the luck (besides the statistics) is with you.

So being put under the pressure of time, you have to act and think fast, you can't flaunt your regular style of play. Bluffing, slow play, floating or other sophisticated plays that are part of your arsenal are completely useless now, for the simple fact that you can't be creative at the table in such situations. Survival is all that interests you have right now, and the main short-term goal is doubling. So, don't waste your time trying to use your post-flop skills. The best way is to try to double with the all-in pre-flop when you still have a respectable number of chips in front of you. If you are not paid, all the better, you will take a few blinds without exposing yourself to a situation of all or nothing.

I think the image helps too in those moments. For example if you created the impression that you are a tight player, you can try to push all-in more frequently than in the case that you're style of play is loose. Even if everyone smells "blood" and you have a metaphorical "hunted" label on your forehead, as one tight player pushes all-in, the others will be more cautious. They know that you like the solid game and you don't risk it unnecessarily, so they will be tempted to credit you with a better hand than the one you have. Conversely, if you have played many hands before, creating the image of a loose player, you will be paid much more frequently by opponents.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you ask for an all-in with few chips it is very tempting for others to pay you with almost anything due to your reward and you can speculate the moment properly if the luck (besides the statistics) is with you.

Exactly for this reason, it's easier to double up, even triple up and even more up with a good hand in PKO tournaments once short stacked. People call with garbage and hunt for bounties, especially big ones. I'd say don't use the bottom of the ranges, pick your hands for the shoves, and pay close attention to the players, their stack sizes and their behaviour towards calling for a bounty. You can use all of this to your advantage, especially if your bounty is big.
it was my biggest tournament in which I participated, I didn't get into the prizes, but even at the start I managed to knock out two and then another one, all of the above here is that they will try to knock out a short stack with the widest range, I really liked how logical and simple it is. Thanks everyone.
The answer is definitely wait for a monster hand as most people will be looking to knock you out and claim that bounty with hands like A3, A4, J10, K3 and even sometimes worse hands like 82 lol I've seen it done. If you wait for the good old pocket pair or AK, AQ and KQ then you'll have a great chance to double up.
yes, sometimes I also wanted to go into the hand with a hand like 8 2 for a short stack:LOL:But I restrained myself from this

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I myself was wondering why when going all in in knockout tournaments people would call with garbage hands.
But the short stacks make it easy to call when you are a big stack on big blind with anything. Cause chances are you will hit something.
If everyone else has folded. Cause the blinds are so hight. Any two cards can work.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When this happens to me I try to play only premium hands in any position or only play strong hands from late position.