***September MTT thread***

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's the schedule I came up with for PS and FT tournaments. Buy-ins range from $5.50 -$26 for regular games and $3.30-$11 for re-buys. No starts before noon or after 9pm. No 6-max, no turbos and no satellites. Most are guaranteed and double or deep stacks - 1 exception is the early daily double at FT which starts with 2000 chips.

Pokerstars:

12:00p - $22 - 20k gtd - dbl stk - 15 min bl
1:00p - $5.50 - 20k gtd - dbl stk - 15 min bl
1:00p - $22 - 12.5 gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
2:00p - $11 - 40k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
2:15p - $3.30 - 60k gtd - R/A - 10 min
3:15p - $11 - 20k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
4:00p - $8.80 - 12k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
4:35p - $5.50 - 25k gtd - 2R/A - 10 min bl
6:00p - $5.50 - 50k gtd - R/A - 15 min bl
7:00p - $11 - 25k gtd - dbl stk - 15 min bl
7:15p - $11 - 20k gtd - R/A - 15 min bl
8:00p - $3.30 - 40k gtd - R/A - 10 min bl
8:15p - $5.50 - 8k gtd - R/A - 10 min bl

Full Tilt:

12:00p - $26 - 19.5k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
1:00p - $11 - 10k gtd - deep stk - 12 min bl
1:20p - $5.50 - 0 gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
2:00p - $26 - 42k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
4:00p - $6 - 5k gtd - 2000 chips - 10 min bl (daily dbl)
4:02p - $6 - 5k gtd - 2000 chips - 10 min bl (daily dbl)
5:30p - $3.30 - 0 gtd - R/A - 10 min bl
6:00p - $26 - 32k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl
7:00p - $11- 15k gtd - super stk - 12 min bl
9:00p - $12 - 8k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl (daily dbl)
9:02p - $12 - 8k gtd - dbl stk - 10 min bl (daily dbl)

Right now I am limiting myself to 4 tables at a time. So when I am ready to start I pick the first 4 then as I go out of tournaments I add another one in.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Luck to all in September.

My goals for Mtts in September.

-Play 150 Mtts (at least 10 Rebuys and 10 KO´s)

Question: Do you find that the KO's have a much higher variance? I have yet to final table one, where I can usually get deep in most regular MTT's and some rebuys.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Question: Do you find that the KO's have a much higher variance? I have yet to final table one, where I can usually get deep in most regular MTT's and some rebuys.
I find the 90-player KO's fairly easy to final table. I've won a few, and finished top 3 in several.

Being curious myself, I just filtered my tourney results in HEM to show only 90 player games on FT (all of which would be KO's). It's a small sample as it's only 65 KO's going back to July 09, but across all buy-ins ranging from $3.30 to $26, my results are:

122.1% ROI
47.7% ITM
$993.30 Winnings
$14.12/hr
Avg buy-in $12.51

Interestingly enough, my best results by far, in ROI, ITM, and winnings, are in the $26 KO's. Granted KO bounties are included by HEM so it may skew the numbers a bit, but not by a huge amount. Overall I seem to run pretty good in them, although again the sample size is tiny.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had a cecent day yesterday - cashed in 3 of the tournaments I played in. Nothing big - the total was about $130 but it was a profit and it is important to have days like that when you are putting in a lot of volume with mtt's.

2 of the 3 I cashed in were re-buys and I am really starting to like those. In one of the them I went out with QQ vs AK when a K came on the river. The pot was over 280k and if I had won that I would have had a great shot at going very deep.

I like them because if things go right you can be very deep in chips after the add-on period giving you a better chance of getting itm with a decent chip stack.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
reg'd. for 25mtt's today..... & ran like garbage!

Two small cashes... argh.

Set myself up today with a good schedule but then things just went sooo bad. Had a good stack in most of them but lost to 2-outers all day long (no exaggeration). stuff like Raise in MP w 88.. have a guy w ATo call..flop A84... I bet..he raises HUGE... I shove.. turn.. 'J'.. river.. 'A'.. (calls me a donk.. says I didn't even have top pr., lol).
Lost a ton of 80/20's and I don't think I could win a race if my life depended on it (Utg raises with 33... I ship AK otb and he snaps... and 3's holds, yay!, lol... < this one (and others similiar).. no biggy at all.. it was some of the other stuff today that had me wondering if anything would hold.
There was a point where 3 flopped sets, lead out on all 3 & managed to get it allin on all of them (talking BIG POTS.. 100+bb's) and lost to 2-outers on all of them (one was 99 flop set.. Flop is J-9-3.. I lead out.. & guy with TT raises BIG.. I ship it & he snapcalls?? (what did he think I had?, lol).

Another funny one, Utg limps.. EP raises 4x.. MP flats.. me in CO w AA.. I 3bet 'BIG' (cuz I know how fishy these two were).. and they both flat (1400 each, ~1/4stack)... Flop comes K-8-3.. checked to me.. I cbet BIG.. he calls... turn is 'K'.. ugh!!! (< worst card possible).. but it gives me the nutflush draw... he checks.. I shove, he calls & I actually 'suckout' with an Ace on the river (but did have outs & no way I'm folding with the size of pot obviously). THat was my one BIG suckout.. oh.. & he had KTo.. lol. (didn't ya know.. KTo is gd for a flat of early pos. raise.. & flatting a big 3bet for ~1/4 your stack while out of position.

So today was great practise for taking a ton of badbeats BUT then reeling it back in & playing the A-game (which I was able to do). It started to get almost funny ('almost').

Pretty sure I'll be keeping the 'weekend' tourney schedule to a minimum from now on... buyins I play in on the weekend have never been good for me ($5-$33).. and do far better on weekdays.
weekends for cash tables... weekdays for tourneys

GL to all CC'rs!!

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stupid Sundays.
I am grinding my satellites, but then when I win, the target tourney already started, so cant unreg.
As a result I am stuck playing a tournament through the night.
And I am dead tired, and might fall asleep by the computer at any given time.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:frown: Ugh, I've done that.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played 1 so far, $3 KO/413 players/ended 19th/ don´t think will go with 90 players, want to stick to MTTs there.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a decent weekend - played a lot of tournaments and broke about even which is okay with me lol. I played sng's last night and did real well so had an over profitable weekend.

I am going to take today off from tournaments and when I do play it will most likely be sng's. I might start some tournaments tonight but will see how it goes. I have spent too many recent days tied to the computer for very long stretches of time and need a break from it.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try not to get hooked again Debi, haha, :p.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I played some last night and did great lol. I wonder if I took my mtt mentality with me and it paid off......

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like them because if things go right you can be very deep in chips after the add-on period giving you a better chance of getting itm with a decent chip stack.

you know, if you enjoy playing with a deep stack, you can always join a cash game... :rolleyes:

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm about to take down one of my goals as I have registered for my first ever R/A MTT! $1 entry, rebuys, one add on, starts in about 10 minutes. Would appreciate some last gasp tips on how to play these! There must be a point where you aren't allowed to rebuy any longer? Trying to find out when but it doesn't seem to specify.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually after the first hour, you'll have one last chance to rebuy if you're under single buyin chipstack* and then go on break and have few minutes to add on. I don't go crazy rebuying, just double buyin right at the start and play normal deep tournament (realizing many others are playing very loose and adjusting)...but there are other strategies. And then almost always add on at break, think you'd have to be extremely short or deep to consider otherwise

(like perhaps you are playing a low investment strategy and near the end of rebuy period you lose most chips and a rebuy and an addon wouldn't get you close to avg stack or many bbs deep so you'd rather give up...or you are so deep that the extra chips hardly changes your tournament equity - but the answer may just be always add on)

Cool things about rebuys, its easy to find good spots to double up+ with people around you gambling, don't be afraid to get your chips in with a likely edge to take advantage of it. Also people dropping out before the first break cutting down the field when there is no real reason not to be in decent shape coming out of the addon period.

*most are like this, not all.

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm about to take down one of my goals as I have registered for my first ever R/A MTT! $1 entry, rebuys, one add on, starts in about 10 minutes. Would appreciate some last gasp tips on how to play these! There must be a point where you aren't allowed to rebuy any longer? Trying to find out when but it doesn't seem to specify.

You don't mention which site, but for FT and PS the rebuy period typically lasts through Level 6 and/or 60 minutes, at which point there is a small break where you can add-on. Most are unlimited rebuys, but some are 1 or 2 rebuys only.

There are different strategies for playing rebuys. Some buy-in only for the minimum, then rebuy as they bust. I prefer to double-buy at first (most let you rebuy at the starting stack or lower, so you can rebuy immediately to double your starting stack), then play a little looser than I normally would in a non-rebuy. Some, including some top players, play extremely fast and loose during the rebuy period, shoving every decent hand in hopes of doubling up, then rebuying if they don't. It's not unusual for these people to rebuy 10-20 times, which has the benefit of inflating the prize pool for everyone, but also seriously multiplying their stack if their shoves hold up, leaving them with a monster stack after the add-on.

You'll just have to feel it out for yourself, and decide how much you're willing to invest. Since it's your first one, I'd recommend a double-buy, sticking close to your regular game but loosening up slightly since you don't have to worry about being knocked out early if you get your money in bad.

Another tip: if you find yourself getting close to the end of the rebuy period, or if you just want to double your stack to play deeper stack poker, and you're close to the starting stack (say you have 1600 chips in a 1500 starting stack tourney), you may consider just donking off 100 or so chips to get you down to starting stack so you can rebuy and double-up before the time runs out. Otherwise you're stuck at 1600 instead of 3000 when rebuys end.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you know, if you enjoy playing with a deep stack, you can always join a cash game... :rolleyes:

How much money do I have to win playing mtt's before you ever give up? :p

The most important thing you can do is approach them knowing how much you need to put into them so you don't tilt as you re-buy. If you are not sufficiently funded to re-buy and add-on don't play them. It is really insane imo to have an opportunity to add to your stack and not take it and I mentally commit myself to that before I start.

For example for a $3.30 buy-in - I plan on it costing me $12.30. I do the initial re-buy, if I get below 1500 I re-buy again and I always add-on.

If you play a 2R/A - you can buy twice to start with and should - don't play if you can't. There are loads of people who don't understand these tournaments so I love them. You can end up so far ahead in chips it is unbelievable.

As far as play goes you can take more chances because you can re-buy - but if you don't want to re-buy then play tight early. But know that there are maniacs who are willing to shove over and over and keep re-buying.

After the add-on period is over then play like any other mtt - hopefully you are very deep in chips compared to blinds so you will be able to steal more - especially from the dummies who did not add-on.

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again for the tips D'wilius, dmorris. Definitely helped me to settle in in these unfamiliar circumstances! So we are at the break now.. think i used 2 rebuys, including the one right at the start. 188 players entered, 141 left and i'm currently lying in 50th with a stack of 7.7k (starting stack 2k). Oh and i'm playing on aced, morris.

I'm guessing now that the rebuy period has finished it's just back to my normal playing style? Hope I can go far!

Edit: just read your post too dakota. Think i'd only be comfortable playing the low rebuy stakes! I have rather enjoyed it so far, maybe it will become a regular tourney for me.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, like dakota said, back to normal mtt now. Good luck. :)

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently on second break. 28th out of 36. Approximately 10BBs. Think it's all-in or fold time! Top 20 cash.. can see me finishing on the bubble of my first attempt :p.

Will edit this post with my result.

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day as been ok for Mtts, play the $2 early in Stars, 5547 players, and the $3 KO in Fulltilt 1160 players, cashed in both.

But the S&G´s still are beating my ass, i think will take a break from those a couple days. Will play a couple more Mtts in the night.

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a time limit on post editing? I couldn't edit my last one with the result.

Anyway, just about managed to break through the bubble, then was pot committed on my BB with 64os. I thought 20th for my first rebuy tourney is a decent effort when I saw I was up against JJ and KQ. Fortunately i hit two pair and went on to secure an 8th place finish!

Chuffed would be an understatement. :DThanks again guys!

Logan2

Logan2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grats on the cash Lenny.

Anyone played the $1000 turbo for 20fpp in Stars?, is it worthy to spend my points in this?.

Thanks.