Scared...AK Need Help!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am comfortable shoving if I only have a mid or small size stack.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't wait to fold AK after my c-bet. It is not a top 5 hand, neither is AKs. They are behind the pocket pairs. I'd rather get dealt a small pocket pair to set stack someone than AK. Don't 3 bet as you will fold out the weak king and weaker ace that you need in the pot post flop. If you get a lot of heat like a big check raise,depending on the player, i'd drop top pair top kicker.

AK is used to out kick the ace and king hands in the pot with you.

C

Cazador twd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a very good hand, but you need to connect to win most of the time, it's a good hand for all in but also depends on the size of all in

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't wait to fold AK after my c-bet. It is not a top 5 hand, neither is AKs. They are behind the pocket pairs. I'd rather get dealt a small pocket pair to set stack someone than AK. Don't 3 bet as you will fold out the weak king and weaker ace that you need in the pot post flop. If you get a lot of heat like a big check raise,depending on the player, i'd drop top pair top kicker.

AK is used to out kick the ace and king hands in the pot with you.

What about allin preflop calling off??

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about allin preflop calling off??
20BB or less I would call it off, 25BB or more I would just fold it. AK get beaten by any trash hand 35% of time,and any pair has way to much equity against it. There is still plenty of poker to be played at 25BB or more.

AK is not a great all in hand. AKs versus any hand still loses 1 to 2.

Chito

Chito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
25bb or less get in pre if you can. Standard shove when that short, deeper it depends, suited is obviously way better than non for this spot and you’ll get different answer from different people, most of the time very deep it’s just a flat to 3bet and regular open if you can.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friend, I consider myself a beginner poker student, so if my answer is wrong I'm sorry, but that's what I think. AK are wonderful cards to play poker, the more so the flop the game changes, I do not like to pay Allin when I am facing some strong regular players. One more player who is tilt who is playing with any hand I pay for sure. I'll pay mainly if my opponent is short stack.

charlesdenis

charlesdenis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends a lot on how the hand develops, I usually fold when it has more than 2 games and it also depends a lot on the amount of BB you have and when the villain is pushing, if I have 15 BB or less I usually push or pay, if my rend is bigger, depends a lot on how much the villain is pushing, how much BB will have left me ... and depends a lot also on the vision that has of the villain ..

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't consider AK a monster. Don't call preflop all-in from tight player. I often don't 3bet early open raise and see flop, especially in position.

not really, because tight players can play AQ agressive.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you quoted my post and alerted me personally, I'll answer your question...

Let's say we're 200bbs deep in a 2-5$ cash game... EP opens to $15, I 3 bet to $45( with AK), button 4 bets to $135 and bb(nit) 5bet jams all in(has me covered)... i think that's a perfect scenario when to think about folding AK( bc you're now a flip at best ;) and you arent getting correct pot odds to stack off). There's other spots too, if you need me to explain.

3bet is not three times the betting, 3bet is bet, raise, and reraising (experts correct me plz in case I'm wrong and it's only betting in all betting streets until the river), get back to the scratchboard, hope you understand PT4 or whatever better now

Mickflava888

Mickflava888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree mostly with dealio online regardless of buy in people are wreckless preflop with AQ even AJ pushing all in trynna double up but later in a tournament when the more patient players are left & if 2 people are all in before me i assume they are holding high pocket pairs which is more ofter than not eg (online you get dealt 10,10 almost gauranteed another player has a higher pocket QQ KK or such) point being if in position with patient players and 2 go all in i assume they hold AA or Kk and foldy Ohagen put it down as ur odds are depleted big time and let those fellas fight it out! its tough folding AK anytime but "folding in itself can be a skill not a weakness" good luck troops

A

Alex330

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournament poker

I personally play AK in late position on the freerolls in the bank

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One key factor is considering wether you are calling an all in or you are shoving all in. When you are shoving you also have fold equity with the hand. Calling you don't. Makes a big difference.

Early on I hate calling it off with AK if I am deep stacked, say anything over 25BBs. If I have less than 20BBs I am getting it in wether it is a 3 bet shove, or calling an all in.

Of course if you have been at the table for a while and a complete nit raises and then gets 3bet by another complete nit then AK goes in the muck. Where if the two raisers are real wild and loose then I would shove over all in.

B

BadluckBubba

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me AK is all about position and my opponents range. There are lots of donks online that AK is going to appear to be a monster to. Unfortunately AK doesnt beat Ajunk as often as it should when playing online. So get it in when you feel certain to be ahead........or when you think this might be the move where if I hit the flop I could double or triple up.

Examples: 14 spots before the bubble and I was sitting on that bubble. I feel im much better trying to chip up as this spot as others are trying to tighten up. I pick up AK suited in the sb. First position min raises, 3 more callers before it gets to me. 2 of those players had bigger stacks and could take me out of the tourny. All 4 players before me had high vpips so their ranges are all over the place. I dont want to see flops against them. My chip stack would take 2 of them out and would cripple the other 2. AK suited here is a great hand to put pressure on these people so I jammed with an 8% vpip. The big blind jams but only 15% of my stack. Now with all those chips in the pot one of the donks jams as well and remember with likely junk. AK suited vs 10 10 bb vs J4 os just nuts. Everyone missed everything so bb won and I won giant side pot.

30 minutes later and in the money I have AK on the button with 30bb only 7 players left. I opened 3.5 x Biggest stack at the table calls, 3rd biggest stack jams. I easily fold my AK with no a care given as I know the other player will call. They get it all in with J10 suited and 88. 9 10 8 flop. Would have gone out of the tourny with AK but folding it in this spot not only kept me in it but it allowed me to latter again.

I went out 6 hands later when AJ went up against A4.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3bet is not three times the betting, 3bet is bet, raise, and reraising (experts correct me plz in case I'm wrong and it's only betting in all betting streets until the river), get back to the scratchboard, hope you understand PT4 or whatever better now

I never said a 3bet was 3 times the raise lol. Let's say someone open raises the pot... The next raise would be considered a 3bet, raise after that would be a 4bet and so on. Think its back to the scratch board for you lol

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never said a 3bet was 3 times the raise lol. Let's say someone open raises the pot... The next raise would be considered a 3bet, raise after that would be a 4bet and so on. Think its back to the scratch board for you lol

Sorry, that was misunderstandable. I just had a conversation, with another guy about hud or not and used your example to explain him. No offence, everybody can see that you know what a 3-bet is, but this guy was absolutely sure it is when somebody always bets 3 BB.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play poker with conviction if you are not sure that you can win the hand, you must throw away the cards, I also fall several times with good cards because I was not convinced that I could win the pot I simply played hoping To hit the cards is not how I play now I improved my game because before playing I see if my chances of winning the pot are bigger or smaller if it is bigger I go into the hand if I do not go in I hope to have helped and good luck ! play with conviction.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to see the flop, but if you get pushed pre-flop, all else being equal, I'd say it depends entirely on how lucky you're feeling. Multi-way all-ins are a crapshoot. Here's a NOT untypical example.

The odds tell you what should happen. KK is way ahead, followed by AJs, then 33, and finally the dog K5s. (Q8 is not playing this hand).

31f8b03d9a3fb6b0e7742df290487f37.png

Of course, that all changes on the flop. 33 hits a set and pulls out in the lead. Flush chasers will be happy to see that the dog K5s is now in second place.

66ce026f5c7ea030de47a22a98a11d6d.png

The turn reaffirms our interest in the 333 set while the dog K5s starts to head back to where it belongs

a88372f3b0c02c47c4db09c395721546.png

But then the inevitable happens. The dog defies the odds and crushes the table.

a89dc29fd2fe1b29dedaf016fca22056.png

And as they say, that's poker. "Are you feeling lucky today?"

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
AQ is trouble Ak is a little less trouble.

Should not be thinking about stacking off pre flop with AK with anything over 40 BB.

As someone rightly stated before it is a drawing hand better to take a flop first in a majority cases except when you are below danger zone of 20 BB.

V

Vadim Gurov

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to give the most important info: 1the blinds you have

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Folded AK once, deeep in a biiiig tournament in a 3 way all in, where I would have scooped the whole tournament. All my friends berated me and since then I NEVER fold all ins pre with AK LOLOLOL #truestory #lifetilt

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It also depends if you have suited AK, makes quite a difference. I prefer to raise pre-flop and then go from there depending on flop... If you're tired to drop out from tournaments with AK, stop putting all your chips with that hand... :D Btw try to NEVER BE SCARED in poker, what are you scared off? Cards? :) NEVER!

Who dares wins

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lose a lot of times with AK in many tournaments, this card is good when there is a small bet and you are looking at the flop and then if something coincides you can play further, I play very seldom for the all-in card and I lose a lot of tournaments when I play with AK all-in, on this card you need to play carefully and be sure that you win and then go all-in!