Satellites

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your opinion on playing satellites? I think there is a different type of playstyle dominating there from regular tournaments.. thoughts? Is it worth it?

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites are a good way to play more expensive tournaments than we can afford, where I play tighter to get my stack up and get a ticket.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing satellites is a way to play expensive tournaments or even tournaments that do not have enough money but can end up becoming disadvantageous if you insist on it several times.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your opinion on playing satellites? I think there is a different type of playstyle dominating there from regular tournaments.. thoughts? Is it worth it?

You have to play pretty much like any other (same type) tournament. (turbo, hyper, regular ...) But for the last third, things have to change depending on the amount of chips. (obviously because the goal is not to win the tourney, jast to get into the top 5 in 25, 50 in 100.)

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play pretty much like any other (same type) tournament. (turbo, hyper, regular ...) But for the last third, things have to change depending on the amount of chips. (obviously because the goal is not to win the tourney, jast to get into the top 5 in 25, 50 in 100.)

already at the time of registration you know that for example 1 player will advance as 10 entrants. so obviously if you win 10 people's chips you know you're fine. (at any stage of the competition)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is always good to play the satellites, for a smaller investment you can win an important ticket that can generate good profits and it will be worth playing them as long as you have a good bankroll and can take advantage of it every time you win a ticket. I don't know if satellites are played differently, but I play satellites almost like I play a regular tournament, but I think sometimes I play them a little more sloppily, but I usually play as if I were playing a regular tournament because I'm still investing money, whether it's a little or a lot, the idea is to get a good result

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Of course, satellites are not classic MTT tournaments. The difference is obvious and that is why there are some differences. But in general, both in satellites and in regular tournaments, your results directly depend on your patience, skill, experience and discipline.

boyward

boyward

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ordered a copy of Dara's book and looking forward to giving it a good read.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play pretty much like any other (same type) tournament. (turbo, hyper, regular ...) But for the last third, things have to change depending on the amount of chips. (obviously because the goal is not to win the tourney, just to get into the top 5 in 25, 50 in 100.)

I don't agree especially with the last thing you said, you don't HAVE to finish in the top 5 (if 25 seats are being awarded). You just have to finish inside the top 25 (using your example). Also, play is quite a bit different in a satellite than any other tournament, in that you're folding hands in spots you would ordinarily NEVER fold. The perfect example is Pocket Aces.

Say you're 9th out of 26 in chips, and at your table, you have some stacks that are shorter than you, but you also have someone who has you covered. You're under the gun and you see that you're on the stone bubble of the satellite. In a normal tournament (to go back to your first sentence that you said), you'd raise the hand and try and win a big pot. But on the bubble of a satellite, that's an autofold if your seat is guaranteed. You have absolutely nothing to gain by winning additional chips, plus, you are putting yourself in danger of being eliminated by someone who has you covered.

One of the last satellite tournaments I played was for the pokerstars Sunday Million, and my spot was secure enough where I would fold those hands. I folded Pocket Queens in one particular spot (it was a 9-handed table).

So to suggest that you'd play these like any other type of tournament is incorrect strategy. Yes, my examples above seem extreme, but they do happen in satellite tournaments, and it's more about protecting your seat than it is to win more chips especially when you know you're seat is already won.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest, If I have an aim-tournament which is higher $ for my usual MTTs, I will always try to make a qualification by satellites first. If I can make it from 1/5 or 1/10 buy-ins, and reach the money in the target, even min. cash leading me a big profit.
For me it's working, but you need to have extra time to fooling on the steps. In addition the more steps the MTT needs, the less chance you'll get in. So one sattie when I want to get in, 2 or more if I 'm playing them just for fun or for a very huge chance.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellite tournaments are the best that can exist, they give you the opportunity to participate in larger tournaments for less than 10% of their true value, you invest a little more time but everything requires a sacrifice, and if you get that entry So desired, believe me that you will have even more fun in the tournament if you win something because it cost you twice as much as others, success in everything, and do not hesitate to participate in this type of tournaments. Regards.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Satellites for most are a waste of money - if you do win a ticket then you will be thrown to the wolves in a player field who is bankrolled for the tournament while we are there playing on hopes and dreams. You will more often than not find yourself playing with fields who are more skilled than you and even with normal variance we don't win/cash tournaments very often.

Most players money is better spent on buy ins within their bankroll where they stand a chance at winning an acceptable prize pool instead of chasing the dream of bigger buy in events. Work on your game, build your roll and move up to the bigger games when you are ready for them.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi there

Fully agree
I in particular like to play sat
Its an easy way to play higher stakes
Rgds

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t play satellites. The simple reason for me is that to win money you have to play great and get lucky (or not unlucky) twice in a row; once in satellite and then in tournament. I just don’t run that good.

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best satellites are zoom and where buy-in is close to buy-in in a tournament.

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites are played differently, you have to take into account how many chips are needed for the quota and when you get them try to play what is necessary or not to play and burn time.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
satellites are a good way to play higher buy tournaments without risking much of your bankroll and unlike regular tournaments in satellites you only need to make a decent stack in order to win a seat in the tournament so the strategy is very different than a regular mtt.

ferocious

ferocious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satelites have very big variance because only the 10% wins ,but if you have a good bankroll you can play them sometimes.Also it requires a very different strategy compared to mtts because the winners take the same prize

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think satelites are a good thing for getting a chance to play a expenciver tournament and even if you loose the main tournament then you did not spend that much money as you should have payed for the main tournament. I dont play offen satelites but if i do i dont play it like normal tournaments. And i think for poeple who wanna play poker but find there self always with bad luck would it maybe be better to play more satelites because they can play for little money and have the cance to win big.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are a great way to play in games you don't, but the downside is usually you are sattying into a game that's above your normal buy in and you can end up in over you head and in that sense its a waste IMO.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The strategy of playing in satellites is seriously different from ordinary SNG and MTT tournaments, since here several tickets to the main event can act as the same prize. This means that it is not at all necessary to become the very first - it is enough just to get into the prizes. This fact influences the strategy of playing the satellite bubble. Another feature is that the overall level of participants in satellites is lower than in standard tournaments for money.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites for most are a waste of money - if you do win a ticket then you will be thrown to the wolves in a player field who is bankrolled for the tournament while we are there playing on hopes and dreams. You will more often than not find yourself playing with fields who are more skilled than you and even with normal variance we don't win/cash tournaments very often.

Most players money is better spent on buy ins within their bankroll where they stand a chance at winning an acceptable prize pool instead of chasing the dream of bigger buy in events. Work on your game, build your roll and move up to the bigger games when you are ready for them.

What about the Sunday Million on PokerStars? That field is softer than a lot of other larger buyin tournaments. I do agree to some degree because if you're a beginning/recreational player, you'll want to avoid getting into a bigger tournament where you're more likely than not to run into players that will run you over.

I know where you're coming from with your generalized statement, but for those who study the game and have played it, playing a satty isn't a bad idea, and I suspect you probably would agree with that.

Your thoughts?

PS - I just clicked on Follow on your Twitch account, and look forward to seeing you back on stream soon. Hopefully your issues get resolved soon, but I saw your video update, and yes, it looks really quiet and peaceful where you live.

Poker Tells