Satellite SNG - Folded AK but not sure if I was correct...

R

Russ gervasi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have def called in a freeze out. It's almost always a good call there. In this particular situation however, it really didn't matter. Both 1st and 2nd get paid entry so as long as the short stack lost u were good. That's why it was such a dumb move for the Big Stack. He lowered both of your chances for entry in that hand. I guess the fold is just barely better in that spot because there's the slim chance that the small stack wins and the moron wins the side pot eliminating you in 3rd place. yup, a good situational fold.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
IMHO under 'normal' circumstances, FOLD.
But that being said this is not your 'normal' tourney.
You get the same prize for second as you do for 1st, so I say play the AK.

As someone else said the odds are for you to at least make it to 2nd and win the prize.

Now having said that I saw the out come of the hand and.......and your AK would dominant and you would have taken at least 2nd.

I always play to win (in this case at least 2nd) and if I push it all in with the best hand and lose because of it, I feel better than chipping it off and losing passively.

:cool:

Due the payout structure I feel this ^ thinking is very flawed.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I instant muck this hand pre-flop. The short stk is very low and if he busts you win 2nd place without risking any chips. Where as if he doubles up you really don't lose too much equity. Even without doing ICM calculations this is a simple fold IMO.

Yup! I agree with this ^ guy!

bonflizubi

bonflizubi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the analysis, much appreciated. I agree that the push by the big stack was extremely annoying and obviously unnecessary. End of the story is I finished 3rd.

wat? CL is supposed to shove nearly any two there....that's the proper play. CL has no responsibility to you... just to himself.

also, in this case you should call. why? if CL wins then you get the seat since you will have had more chips than the shortie when you both bust.

You crush both there ranges.. shorties is really on any two cards here. And the only way you lose out is if you are beat by both villains. Beat either one and you are better than you would otherwise have been.

The odd thing is that you should fold if the shortie folded. But with him putting it in, it becomes a call for you.

Folding in Poker Poker Tells