Resteal ranges vs LAG villain

Killdalimper

Killdalimper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain has been very active with VPiP/PR : 40/29. What range of hands would you use for 3betting the villain when you're in position and also when youre in the blinds ?

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very hard to give an Overall advice with such Little info

it depends on so many other Things: stack size, Position, Tournament stage, table Dynamics, played Hands from V, buy-in, already ITM?, fold/call 3bet...…

Maybe you had just a small sample from him where he got good Hands to raise with.

if his PFR is high, but his 3bet is low and also his fold to 3bet is high, you should 3bet really wide against him unless there are others in the Hand.
'really wide' depends on your post flop skills. could be Axs or AJs+ also PP 66+ or 99+.
once he figures out that you 3bet him all the time, try to 3bet tighter to trap him if he is 4beting or jaming to your 3bet.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
None - I'd just let him donk off all his chips to me - raising him on the river when I have it and he doesn't. Works well vs loose aggro players.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
None - I'd just let him donk off all his chips to me - raising him on the river when I have it and he doesn't. Works well vs loose aggro players.

That's absolutely how you do it. Be patient and wait for your monster to stack the agro players.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its also not about the range of hands you would want to 3 bet with. You want to have an idea of what type of player he is against a 3 bet. If he is just being a LAG min betting and folding to any aggression you can 3 bet him wider than you would expect. If he always calls you would want to 3 bet him only with value hands.

M

MadDogMgee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More quesions

Well, following the OP's question, many time in today's game i get in a spot where I know he's opening really wide, I 3-bet a hand like AJs or 77, and the LAG just calls moreso IP, but then gets sticky with any piece of the board. Like 3-betting AKo, he calls and the board runs out like QJ837, and he calls down a double or triple barrel with 98o. I realize you should just be able to wait .these type of players out and then take them to value town when you have it in cash games, but I play primarily mtts and sngs, and with the smallish starting stacks you dont have a lot of time. Online tournaments have been strange over the last year at the micro's, seems like nobody will fold once they've put money in the pot. It's not rare to see a player re-re-raise and just get it in with hands like QJs on s rag flop after being the PFR. Anyway, I know that sounds like heaven, but it actually makes a huge portion of your decisions very difficult when you're just trying to play well. And just going into bluff-catching mode spells huge variance, and most of the time you'll just be guessing. Anyway, if you can offer any additional advice here it would be greatly appreciated.

JoeKampman

JoeKampman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, following the OP's question, many time in today's game i get in a spot where I know he's opening really wide, I 3-bet a hand like AJs or 77, and the LAG just calls moreso IP, but then gets sticky with any piece of the board. Like 3-betting AKo, he calls and the board runs out like QJ837, and he calls down a double or triple barrel with 98o. I realize you should just be able to wait .these type of players out and then take them to value town when you have it in cash games, but I play primarily mtts and sngs, and with the smallish starting stacks you dont have a lot of time. Online tournaments have been strange over the last year at the micro's, seems like nobody will fold once they've put money in the pot. It's not rare to see a player re-re-raise and just get it in with hands like QJs on s rag flop after being the PFR. Anyway, I know that sounds like heaven, but it actually makes a huge portion of your decisions very difficult when you're just trying to play well. And just going into bluff-catching mode spells huge variance, and most of the time you'll just be guessing. Anyway, if you can offer any additional advice here it would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve actually had a couple of players at one table like that. I was patient and got it in with both of them with a set of eights. In my opinion (I’m no expert by the way) being patient and waiting for premium holdings against this type of player is the way to go. If variance beats you, keep doing the same thing, play tight and get it in with premium holdings. Over a large sample size you will start to see it pay off.

M

MadDogMgee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply m8. I know you're right. I think I've just been getting frustrated lately from running deep in several mtt's and getting bounced out in low M situations. I think the underlying cause is not having a big enough stack late, and having to depend on good hands to hold up, which is a losing/gambling strategy. I think I need to work more on accumulating chips earlier in the tourney so that i have more fold equity later and am able to withstand some lost flips.