Rebuy Tournaments Unfair?

elitenuts

elitenuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience with unlimited rebuy tournaments is terrible.

No matter how much you survive waiting for the right chance, slowly building your stack, it won't matter at all.
Cause there'll always be a number of retards who will shove preflop with any hand they got and just rebuy if they loose.

In the end it all comes down to who has the money to throw in like an idiot and get lucky with the cards they draw.

Lost with AK today to J10 preflop today.Yesterday lost AK preflop to something like A4. Specially because they aren't afraid to shove and get lucky or try over n over again through rebuys.
Not gonna try unlimited rebuy tournaments ever again.

I know I sound very salty but when it all comes down to chance & 0% skill, what is the purpose?

I'm talking about micros of course

IMHO its not the rebuy's that are the issue, its the buy in - most micro tournaments are filled with people that really dont care about the level of play. Also, when people dont have any real skin in the game they wont care about GTO and tend to do more gambling.

Rebuys are necessary to meet the guaranteed prize pool. This, or they leave the registration open for hours. I prefer rebuys ever since I was in a freezeout at ACR for almost 10 hours.

J

Jerry Kierl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are missing the point. It is a rebuy. If you aren't planning to rebuy and add-on, why play?

Personally I rebuy out the gate. I'm trying to get a big stack quickly. If I bust, I simply double rebuy and the game goes on. I can't see a reason to even play if you don't plan to rebuy. If I don't have a bunch of gamble in me that day, I can wait till the end of late registration, join, rebuy, then add-on and end up with a pretty decent stack without playing a hand.

I like to wait until close to the end of late registration. Get the double rebuy and the Add-on. Few hands till end of late registration. Hopefully by then most of the crazy's are gone and the game will settle down.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO its not the rebuy's that are the issue, its the buy in - most micro tournaments are filled with people that really dont care about the level of play. Also, when people dont have any real skin in the game they wont care about GTO and tend to do more gambling.

Rebuys are necessary to meet the guaranteed prize pool. This, or they leave the registration open for hours. I prefer rebuys ever since I was in a freezeout at ACR for almost 10 hours.

I agree with this. That's why I mentioned as Micro Stakes at last. People just don't seem to care. 0.50 cents, 1 dollar.. they'd just keep on rebying. It doesn't happen in higher stakes. I'm aware of that.

Thanks for the comment.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these tournaments, if you are lucky, then for a big victory you need to win 3 all-in, and you always have an offer that is not bad ...

M

marnburger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are missing the point. It is a rebuy. If you aren't planning to rebuy and add-on, why play?

Personally I rebuy out the gate. I'm trying to get a big stack quickly. If I bust, I simply double rebuy and the game goes on. I can't see a reason to even play if you don't plan to rebuy. If I don't have a bunch of gamble in me that day, I can wait till the end of late registration, join, rebuy, then add-on and end up with a pretty decent stack without playing a hand.

This is a great way to play them if you've got your bankroll sized right for the double buy in and add-on! Good thinking. I imagine you'd normally be inside the top half of the field when doing this. What position do you normally start in and how many BBs? The style of poker is much less crazy after the add-on as well.

I personally enjoy them, I find there's a lot of easy money out there in between all the all-ins and then picking off the lunatics when my stack allows it.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not unfair, it's just inconvenient if you have a small bankroll.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why would you complain about people playing crazy? thats what you want.

Dont hate the tourney because it fosters fish doing fish stuff. Just wait until you have good hands and get paid.

HennieP

HennieP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-buy tournaments are actually very good to play in my opinion because the prize pool ends up being a lot more than just a standard tourney. This is because off all those bingo players who try to double up early.

Is it unfair? Don't be silly. Poker is a luxury if you're a recreational or casual player. Which means you either put money into your hobby or you don't but you don't begrudge others who are willing to spend more than you.

M

marnburger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to wait until close to the end of late registration. Get the double rebuy and the Add-on. Few hands till end of late registration. Hopefully by then most of the crazy's are gone and the game will settle down.

After liking your method I just tried it in the $400 GTD Frenzy R&A on 888. Didn't go well, registered in the final minute, on the BB first hand at 300/600 with 1500 chips. Had A2s so shoved over 2 limpers, lost. Double re-buy up to 3000 chips, only 5BB. Check the clock and 25 mins till the next break, when I'm assuming the add-on happens. Didn't survive sadly. I picked this tournament as the add-on was 3x at 1BI for 10k chips. Based on the blind structure I figured I would have been at 30BB with the re-buy/add-on period over. Just didn't realise the late registration and add-on break weren't aligned, I thought this was normally the case?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it unfair? Don't be silly. Poker is a luxury if you're a recreational or casual player. Which means you either put money into your hobby or you don't but you don't begrudge others who are willing to spend more than you.

I really like this comment!

disant89

disant89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Das Geld was die Spieler ausgeben für die unbegrenzten Rebuys kommt dem Preispool zugute.
Einer der sich viel zuviel auf Glück verlässt kommt sowieso nicht weit.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After liking your method I just tried it in the $400 GTD Frenzy R&A on 888. Didn't go well, registered in the final minute, on the BB first hand at 300/600 with 1500 chips. Had A2s so shoved over 2 limpers, lost. Double re-buy up to 3000 chips, only 5BB. Check the clock and 25 mins till the next break, when I'm assuming the add-on happens. Didn't survive sadly. I picked this tournament as the add-on was 3x at 1BI for 10k chips. Based on the blind structure I figured I would have been at 30BB with the re-buy/add-on period over. Just didn't realise the late registration and add-on break weren't aligned, I thought this was normally the case?

no usually late registration ends in an hour. Add on starts 30 minutes after that.
I think it is ok to skip about 4 levels. But it'll depend on the time per level increase.
Many pros go in like that. They totally don't care about the first couple of levels cause the blinds are small

C

Cardz007l

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like late registration let alone rebuys ;)

Kavaleits

Kavaleits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
R/A tournaments are fair :) .... If you don't like that people go allin and do R/A all time, then you shouldn't play these tournaments. Play Freezeout tournaments, where people can't do R/A. About bad beats, which happens to all poker players, just try to calm down, because not all time that happens, most of time AK wins A4 and AA wins XX. Don't be salty and good luck at poker tables!!!:D

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should understand that rebuy is meaningful only in the very beginning stage of the tournament, when almost all players have approximately equal starting stacks. Rebay in the middle of the tournament, like late registration means that you will play with the initial stack against players with large stacks that play well or today with them luck.. ;)

So true, reg. late just makes your chances smaller for an easy double-up.

J

jop0411

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love free rolls and the crazy % of $ gets into the prize look from bad/gambler players. One thing I gotta be aware is not being too aggressive myself eArly on and wasting buy ins chasing a big stack.

R

rehanov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice go for partypoker , it is either freezeout ( no rebuy) or max 2 rebuy allowed tournaments

JoseFerreras

JoseFerreras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I have a limited bankroll I hate playing rebuys tournament because people with more money keep coming and coming and they call with weak hands (this is good unless they hit and take you out)

C

Cardz007l

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I like this method a lot. :icon_thum

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't call them unfair - because you know they are re-buys when you enter them. You have to use a different strategy when you play them - and don't play them if you are not prepared to use multiple buy-ins and to add-on if you make it that far.

A couple of my biggest cashes came from re-buys at pokerstars - I loved them because so many players did not know how to play them. :)