To REBUY or NOT (better chance to win?)

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Add on's and rebuys increase your probability of winning but substantially hurt your ROI. In other words, use your discretion sometimes it may be beneficial other times not so much.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Many newer players fail to understand rebuy tournament strategy during the rebuy period.

Instead of writing out a long book here for you, you can browse the forum & find other threads discussing it.

Also, what I found to be most helpful when I was a new'ish' player (who incidentally also thought rebuy tourneys sucked) was to watch a training video of a rebuy tournament. This immediately gave me a far better understanding of how to play rebuy tourneys. (I believe it was an $8r/a posted on FTR.. elipsesJeff (sp?) )

Here's one link on Cardschat to get you started...

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/lea...iscussion-201621/?highlight=rebuy+tournaments

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like rebuy cuz if you loose once you can loose twice i only add on but never rebuy.

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The value of your original buyin is for sure greater than any subsequent rebuys. If you think of the tournament like a race it's like paying $ to get boosted from last place to 80th place out of 100 runners. You can't recover the ground you already lost if you're shooting for first (which you should be).

Rebuying can still be +EV but it would have to be early in the tournament or if for whatever reason you could rebuy for more or less the average stack. But if there are other games or you want to maximize ROI then its probably a bad idea.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1R-1A

For me 1 rebuy and 1 add on works well at this kind of tournament

U

uthapatak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Rebuy option depends

Some people here have mentioned that newbies should not rebuy. I however feel that it depends on the stage of the game.
Also your confidence. If a rebuy costs u 50c and u miss payout by 50 places and the lowest pay is of 1.5$ and consider buyin is 50 c u definitely go for it. Limit ur no. Of rebuys to a point where you can even average out your total spending and this you can say with at least 70% confidence level.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I think is better take 3 times chanse reebay,becouse is small prizes,you can make money with no reebays at all.....

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never rebuy but will always add on. If I can't afford the add-on I shouldn't be in the tournament.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I play a rebuy I will always rebuy / add on and be willing to do this two or three times until I've built a big stack, but I would not recommend this approach to newer players that aren't confident of having an edge over the rest of the table and/or suck postflop

C

chriz122

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually if tourney starts with 3000 chips and like 1$ buy in, i try 2 go hard and all in early and maybe win like 2 all ins so i can play tight and wait . So in the early ill buy in 2-3 times to win an all in and double/tripple my stack.

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its been awhile but I recall a re-buy strategy that involved pumping your table full of chips. 2 or 3 guys playing crazy and re-buying often will make the table chip heavy and give the whole table an advantage. A table full of one buy nits will end up at the break with significantly less chips.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i really has to play this kind of tourney,rebuy is a must in the very early phase as you increase the chances of growing your stack.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont play rebuys unless you are prepared to rebuy many times and addon
PERIOD!!!
100%

I used to think otherwise, but CC taught me better (proper)
If you dont plan on rebuying, play a freezeout game
theres a reason people play these differently and are more willing to shove any 2 cards during the first hour,
read the post (link) of Poker Orifice above
you're playing a losing game without them
(and not to say you cant win - I was like most of you once, prided myself on winning a rebuy without rebuying, but in the long run its -EV)
plan for 10 buyins and addon and have the bankroll to back this sort of game (10x cost x50+)
gl

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its been awhile but I recall a re-buy strategy that involved pumping your table full of chips. 2 or 3 guys playing crazy and re-buying often will make the table chip heavy and give the whole table an advantage. A table full of one buy nits will end up at the break with significantly less chips.
^^^^^^^
this

defleopard

defleopard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everywhere different situations . But I see no reason to make rebuys or add-ons to the free freerolls such as 100K Privilege. To play in these freerolls rebuys or add-ons is quite difficult , and why do them at all if these freerolls several times a day ? )

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't rebuy in general. I'd really have to feel the table is full of flush, but i always seem to get moved when I do :D

For add on, it generally depends on how it'll help if I add on. If adding on will take me from a slight lead to middle or worse in chips I'll usually do it. Also if my BB is so low I need the chips to go from something like 10 - 20 BB then I'll do it there.

Best is to get a big stack prior so it really doesn't matter and only 1 other guy at the table can get ahead of you.

W

walleye

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't rebuy. The only time it might be worth it is if you get knocked out early and the price is cheap.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofcourse, its a tremendous advantage if you have lots of chips from the start.

I dont like rebuy/addon tourneys since the strategy here is money gets money.

The more money you have, the more chances of winning. Through many rebuys and addon ofcourse.