Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Freeroll tournament

the experience of playing freeroll is great if you compare to playing a tournament with fictional chips at pokerstars, you will notice that the plays are similar.:jd4:

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, I must mention that this tips are just for someone started playing poker recently and wants to improve his game experience and learn much more about games
Many people told me if you want gain some game experience play freerolls, Then I took this advice and played so much freerolls in many different poker rooms and considered those tournaments as a learning session, but after one or two month I've noticed that I didn't catch any improvement so I analyzed more about freerolls and this is why I don't recommend freerolls for learning poker:

1-All in or fold mechanism:

Most of freeroll players take this tournaments as a fun things, their strategy is so simple: If you have a good starting hand make all in, if you don't just fold, this kind of playing style is most thing you see in early stages of freerolls and make the game so lucky, In my opinion first thing any beginner player should learn is how to make luck's effect less,
making an All-in pre-flop is the most luck based thing that you can do in poker:hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

2- Bad Players, Bad Beats:

If you are a freeroller I'm sorry but most of freeroll players are not good enough and making bad decisions sometimes this bad decisions comes with very very good luck, for a example in many freeroll tables you see a person that make all in with 96o after the flop (imagine he has a pair of 6 )you call his bet with AA and he make a set on river just by luck, In this kind of situations must beginner players will get angry and maybe stop playing poker for ever

3-Waste of time:

Most of freeroll take so long because there are too many players involved. If you take a look at ratio of prize pool and entrants, you'll be noticed the prize pool and places paid are so low and It is not wise to spend time, You can watch twitch streams or play on micro buy-in tournaments for beginning of your poker career.

At last I must apologize for my bad English but at least i tried my best :icon_rabb:icon_rabb
Freerolls are a great place for having fun as a poker player and don't bother yourself to win such tables
There maybe more reasons but i can't remmeber right know:hmmmm2::hmmmm2:
I'll be glad to know your opinions on this topic
and you can point out my English grammar problems.
You made good points, but I have to disagree. Where else should begginers learn the basics and strategies of the game if not in freerolls? They usually don't have money anyway so it's not like they have another option. Secondly, knowing how to be patience, exploit loose players, etc is an important skill a poker player must have. As for bad beats playing bad players that's just part of the game, better that hapenning in a freeroll than in a paid tournament. Paid tournaments have lots and lots of wild players aswell and I fell much worse when I lose after a bad play from an opponent in a paid tournament. Cardschat is also a very different kind of freeroll that I'd recommend to every begginer, the field has decent players and there's actually quite some money involved, specially for someone who doesnt have a BR.

H

Hotlantan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, I must mention that this tips are just for someone started playing poker recently and wants to improve his game experience and learn much more about games
Many people told me if you want gain some game experience play freerolls, Then I took this advice and played so much freerolls in many different poker rooms and considered those tournaments as a learning session, but after one or two month I've noticed that I didn't catch any improvement so I analyzed more about freerolls and this is why I don't recommend freerolls for learning poker:

Most of freeroll players take this tournaments as a fun things, their strategy is so simple: If you have a good starting hand make all in, if you don't just fold, this kind of playing style is most thing you see in early stages of freerolls and make the game so lucky, In my opinion first thing any beginner player should learn is how to make luck's effect less,
making an All-in pre-flop is the most luck based thing that you can do in poker:hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

If you are a freeroller I'm sorry but most of freeroll players are not good enough and making bad decisions sometimes this bad decisions comes with very very good luck, for a example in many freeroll tables you see a person that make all in with 96o after the flop (imagine he has a pair of 6 )you call his bet with AA and he make a set on river just by luck, In this kind of situations must beginner players will get angry and maybe stop playing poker for ever

3-Waste of time:

Most of freeroll take so long because there are too many players involved. If you take a look at ratio of prize pool and entrants, you'll be noticed the prize pool and places paid are so low and It is not wise to spend time, You can watch twitch streams or play on micro buy-in tournaments for beginning of your poker career.

At last I must apologize for my bad English but at least i tried my best :icon_rabb:icon_rabb
Freerolls are a great place for having fun as a poker player and don't bother yourself to win such tables

Agree with all of the above. Thank you for saving me from typing. :)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no one-size-fits-all in poker.

Freerolls are different depending on the game. A 10,000 entry shove fest is not at all similar to a 200 entry private forum game against players who think. If you play the CC freerolls (some of them anyway), you will encounter many people who think before making a play. This is great. Then there are freerolls that do the things described in OP (AIPF with 5 players etc), these are luck bound.

Still, to learn the game, FR are a great way to do it. But there are levels of poker. If you are playing HU for $20,000 against Phil Helmut, you will need a different thought process than if you are playing a $2 BI in a turbo with late entry and rebuys.

I hate play money games for strategy learning for the same reasons (and more) that OP mentions. But play money games have their place in the chain of learning. As do FR. It is all a matter of WHAT you are learning.

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

3-Waste of time:

First, your English is understandable so your fine there. Second, I agree with most of what you said to a degree. But I feel that if you can survive the all-in or fold point then you have developed a tool that should make it much easier when you get into a game where they actually play poker. You can also practice setting up traps for your opponents. You can also practice to improve any weak spots you think you may have and it doesn't take anything out of your bankroll!!!!!:D:D

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no reason not to play freerolls. On the contrary, it is a good incentive to build up a bankroll.

D

Damnbruce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free rolls are not the same as a regular tournament in the begging but as you get closer to the money/final tabel they are very realistic

D

Damnbruce

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free rolls are not the same as a regular tournament in the begging but as you get closer to the money/final table they are very realistic

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I understand you correctly? You're telling newbies - don't play freerolls, but rather go play for money. and they as newbies are more likely to lose money. good advice........

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you better?!

If you is very good player and you can give a real live tournament, why you can win a freeroll?!

If you a great player, you need to be so good to win donkey players in freeroll.....

I can’t believe that freeroll is bad game for you learn.
Free rolls are not the same as a regular tournament in the begging but as you get closer to the money/final table they are very realistic

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

3-Waste of time:

I learned all my skills in freerolls, so at some point you must be wrong. I agree to most of your points, but still making regular money in freerolls means something. You gotta know the bad players, then you can play poker in later stages against other skilled players.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with almost everything, however I still think Freerolls are a great way to learn how to play Poker, remember that big tournaments can also have thousands of players.

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with you, many of the Freerolls' hands are lucky, with several players going all-in. I read an article this week that 75% of the hands of professional poker tournaments are decided without opening the cards, whereas in the freerolls the exact opposite happens, most hands are decided with the opening of the cards. But I think playing freeroll is part of the learning road, mainly to build a bankroll.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are truths, of course there are, but on the other hand, you are getting free fun in a free one. Another thing, if you decide to play seriously the problems pointed out will be opportunities to beat them.

C

chrismacan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oddly enough I have started making money playing freerolls. I would say it has helped with hand discipline.

Having no risk to learn how to control your play in different situations is great.
Once you get into the mid stages of freerolls you can start to see the different skill levels. And you can learn a lot. I am pretty sure I have improved my tournament game by playing in the worst of the worst freerolls. The HYPER TURBO rebuy.

The CC freerolls are much better for learning.

Barakatna

Barakatna

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You made a good point.

I should mention also that you should not play poker too often so that you won't be addicted.

Freerolls can be a negative psychological trigger for those who wish to be rich and not playing for fun.

D

Dougwant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can survive the bingo players and the sit outs it becomes a lot more enjoyable Even having best hand doesn't mean much at the start To improve your skill the buy in is better..

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because since there is no Buy-in, players play without fear of losing money and that is why so many Badbeats are seen, to learn to play poker you must have the incentive to have money at risk

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are free..meaning all in with 7 2 off suit..lol..i think most go into Freeroll goin crazy because its a different breed so not the best teacher but the best to get lil money to start without putting yr debit card numbers out there.best way to learn poker is to play more and more. They say practice makes perfect. Good luck.

S

Superhansi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In between its fun to see if I can maneuver between all these crazy players and win a freeroll tournament, and yes, I have done so a couple of times ����

L

Lawnmowerman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see why not.
Its just another strategy of playing poker and a great way of getting some extra cash for spending on other, paid tournaments.

Crash Burn

Crash Burn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not recommend playing poker at freeroll tables for various reasons. One of them is that we will find players who are not regular but recreational. With all this it will be difficult to have full reading etc...

AmyricoLiliana

AmyricoLiliana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Inkább különböző freerollokon játszom,
Nem kell lebecsülnie ezeket a játékosokat sem. Az is igaz, hogy a legtöbb ember vagy ül, vagy allin or
Ezen felül jobb gyakorolni és megszerezni

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My thoughts exactly, FreeRolls are just a fun form of poker. Try new or stupid moves because it cost you nothing. That said the late stages after the bubble become interesting as players are now serious.

Freeroll Passwords