reascessing my C bet sizing

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a big believer in keeping the pot small. A big pot gets volatile and it is harder to read people's hands, among other things. I see a lot of people C-betting 50% or more. I prefer around 40%, will sometimes go as low as like 35%, and rarely more than 50%.

I have found however that if you bet less than 50%, nobody believes you, and I have just run into a lot of villains hitting their draws because they think I missed and they are looking to complete their hand or take the pot. Keeping the pot smaller it is much easier to get away from the hand when you realize on the turn when you get check raised that you are way behind.

While it is definitely + EV to keep someone in the hand who is way behind, I am really considering betting 50% a lot more often on the flop.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, i like to keep pots small too. Although, it really depends on what range i open with. The board texture is also important on how much the c-bet will be, best to mix it up slightly, don't want to become predictable, the better players will catch on quick.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found however that if you bet less than 50%, nobody believes you, and I have just run into a lot of villains hitting their draws because they think I missed and they are looking to complete their hand or take the pot. Keeping the pot smaller it is much easier to get away from the hand when you realize on the turn when you get check raised that you are way behind.

While it is definitely + EV to keep someone in the hand who is way behind, I am really considering betting 50% a lot more often on the flop.

People tend to think everyone plays like them, many players when they bet less than half a pot have either a small pair or a draw and don't want to check because when they check it induces other players to bet and they don't want to call a bigger bet. So when you bet small that is what they think you have.

Bet sizing is player/population dependent. If a player folds way too much to a small size, then use a small size.

If players are fit or fold and sizing unaware - use a small size on your bluffs, and a large size for value.

If players call all small sizes you might increase your size till you see what their fold threshold is. Then use the larger size for bluffs, and the largest size they call with weaker hands for value.

GTO sizing tends to be based on the board texture and stack to pot ratio and whether you are in or out of position. Smaller SPR means smaller bet sizing. Dry static flops tend to be small sizing, dynamic wet flops tend to be larger sizing.

Last edited:
Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 50% pot or less you are setting a good price for a lot of draws to continue, they only need 25% equity or less to continue and they have more than that with a flush draw and 2 overs. Even with just one over and a flush draw they are pretty much there, so yes, if your goal is to get your opponent to fold a lot of draws betting larger is probably a good idea unless they are a calling station.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on ACR and BOL cash games when they got something good like Bad Beat Jackpot. When I see a blatant C-bet I just check raise it.Like if they are betting barely 1/4 of the pot and telling me do you even want anything to do with this hand/situation and put some aggression on them. I have found that 60-65% of the pot works well so even when you hit a monster hand you can look like you are c-betting.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a big believer in keeping the pot small. A big pot gets volatile and it is harder to read people's hands, among other things. I see a lot of people C-betting 50% or more. I prefer around 40%, will sometimes go as low as like 35%, and rarely more than 50%.

I have struggled with bet sizing, and feel mostly I'm improving, but for me - there is ALWAYS room for improvement! Although I don't assign myself to the small ball approach as you do, I prefer to approach bet sizing based on situation and opponent type.

You might want to look into a couple of my Tourney hand analysis threads. I have received some great feedback from several CC members - one among them that stands out is AKQ.

Bet sizing is very VERY situational. :confused::D:confused:

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing mostly cash and I usually bet 40-90%pot. Occasionally I will overbet the pot and occasionally check blind as a stragety
Rarely I would bet around 25 % of the pot. That would invite some callers. I think the only time I might do that is if I hit a monster flop/turn and still want to buildup pot slowly.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use polarized c-bet sizes. Meaning that if i bet big i will have a strong hand that i wanna get big value with or a pretty weak draw like gutshots or backdoor straightdraws and all hand strenghts in the middle i will use 33% or 44% of the pot sizing

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to make strong bets that way it is more difficult for them to beat you with a project.