re-buys, add-ons

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played 2 rebuys yesterday. I went in with a stategy of thinking that I will rebuy immediatly and add on at the break. Play tight simply because most of the players are willing to play for all their chips with marginal hands. Exploit these players with you big hands, see cheap flops in posistion and basically hope to hit big. I did this on the first game and cashed.

The second game, I forgot to rebuy at the start but as it turned out, I didn't really have to. I built a decent stack before the break with my original buy in and added on at the break. I cashed in that one as well.

I don't have a large sample of these games to go on, but from what I've played of them, a tight approach in the early stages are the best way to go, at least for me.

Obviously, this won't work all the time as variance is a vicious life sucking beast.

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re Buy tournaments is based strategically on how to & when to do it. One may consider the following which has given me much success:

- Purchase ( 1 ) along with your initial buy in, This is a must to eliminate others who follow.

- Prepare to Double Re Buy up to ( 5 ) times till the 1st intermission. You must be willing to die in order to live. It's all a survival game. Players without the proper bankroll for these events DO NOT belong here. You're Dead Money in this tournament 90% of the time if you can't afford to make buy in's.

- Always acquire the Add On option. If a rare double add on is allowed, so be it a follow. If your chip stack is under 5K - 7K, don't bother purchasing the add on.

The method described here may sound expensive, but these events require drastic measures to gain the upper hand on your opposition. Remember - the best is the one with the most. This is the reason why the tournament is called a Re Buy. Take advantage of it.

Last edited:
jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re Buy tournaments is based strategically on how to & when to do it. One may consider the following which has given me much success:

- Purchase ( 1 ) along with your initial buy in, This is a must to eliminate others who follow.

- Prepare to Double Re Buy up to ( 5 ) times till the 1st intermission. You must be willing to die in order to live. It's all a survival game. Players without the proper bankroll for these events DO NOT belong here. You're Dead Money in this tournament 90% of the time if you can't afford to make buy in's.

- Always acquire the Add On option. If a rare double add on is allowed, so be it a follow. If your chip stack is under 5K - 7K, don't bother purchasing the add on.

The method described here may sound expensive, but these events require drastic measures to gain the upper hand on your opposition. Remember - the best is the one with the most. This is the reason why the tournament is called a Re Buy. Take advantage of it.

I agree with all of this except the thing about low chips stacks shouldn't get the addon. You should always add on.

Jodieblonde

Jodieblonde

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only played a few add on/rebuy tournaments and I've seens so many rebuy and rebuy and then eventually they are out. Seems like they are either bad players or have some reall bad luck. I try to not rebuy and usually won't.

U

unchosen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them just like any other tourney. I try not re-buy or add-on unless I lost all/most of my chips on a big pot or I am short stack and I need more chips to help me stay in the tourney. I seen many players who just go all in until they double up. I recommend that you don't do that because I experimented with it and I lost about 20 all ins before I won once. I was pushing with any two cards. Fortunately the re-buys was only $0.50 cents so I did not lose that much.

T

Tbirdbully

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always rebuy right away and do the add-on..otherwize you start at a disadvantage from the get go to about half the tourney entrys. Your equity to win a tourney goes up. Most that dont rebuy or add on IF they make the money will barely place...

ImolAyrton

ImolAyrton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best strategy is to rebuy immediately

If you start with 1,5k chips, do a rebuy and you got 3k chips.. Shove easier hands so you can double up to 6k.. Keep do a double rebuy till you double to 6k chips than you got about 3,5 average and than start playing your normal game.