Raise or fold?

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation comes up fairly frequently. 6 max turbo tourney and 3 players left. Villain is in BB with anywhere from 2-3 bb left. I'm sitting on 10bb or so from sb. Button folds and I am repeatedly dealt the ugliest cards you ever saw 26o, 27o, 36o. Button is berating me for continuously folding. True I have a chance to knockout a player, but being dealt ugly rags and going up against an almost definite call, am I correct in folding?

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on button stack and how bb plays.
Generally speaking yes they are folds, hands you mentioned.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would do the same. But sometimes in such cases I all-in so as not to completely lose the stack.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy folds. Don't worry about anything else. ICM still applies and you have, at best, 2nd largest stack.

Let them talk, who cares? You will need to find a hand eventually but, if stacks are near even (say top stack only had 13 bbs), the blinds or going to passed around and I don't mind folding until I get something with decent equity against call ranges.

For me, at this stage, it's more of a patience game than anything, especially with shallow stacks in play. I can wait until I get something decent 3 handed instead of shoving/calling a shove wide. At this point, there is almost no outplaying anyone or post flop play, and all decisions will likely be preflop all ins, so I don't mind waiting for either something better or for for opponents to get impatient and shove/call shove to lightly lose.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In such cases, it will be more appropriate not to twitch and wait for cards.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yeah waiting for a decent hand is your best option here unless the chip leader comes up with a raise or a shove that could hopefully get you in a heads up situation.

dsmilez

dsmilez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I echo what everyone else is saying. Gotta wait for a better hand. It's tough to watch your stack dwindle away, but even worse to play a hand for your tournament life pretty much knowing you're behind.

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that it is possible to play a fold. Poker is an unpredictable game. Shorty can double up and you lose.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold

If I don't feel good with my cards I fold the same if my cards are good high cards or followed I reise.:D

C

Complx_Poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think betting half their stack, can often find folds from them, or just jamming all in. You don't need to just think about your hand in these spots. Think about it, even if you have 72o, you jam all in and they are looking at 83o, even jack 2 off, they are folding. Are they gonna put their tournament life on that hand, if you think no, then occasionally throwing in a shove will force them to fold. ESPECIALLY, if you are constantly folding the SB, if you finally decide to show some strength, they will fold.

Imagine you are folding consistently, you look at pocket aces, you jam all in, they are probably going to fold because you have shown yourself to be playing tight the whole game. By throwing in all in's occasionally, it means when you do pick up aces, you are more likely to get called when you rip it in.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO, if it is a bounty game, by all means put him in all-in.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really uncomfortable situation, this is often the case with me.
10bb against 3 bb in bubble, a raise can be tempting, however, these are the worst cards and if we lose the hand, we amplify the opponent, i therefore I'd drop it.
It's a much harder situation if you have 2-3 bb, and such cards are coming :)

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like fold is the best option but not an easy situation...

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This situation comes up fairly frequently. 6 max turbo tourney and 3 players left. Villain is in BB with anywhere from 2-3 bb left. I'm sitting on 10bb or so from sb. Button folds and I am repeatedly dealt the ugliest cards you ever saw 26o, 27o, 36o. Button is berating me for continuously folding. True I have a chance to knockout a player, but being dealt ugly rags and going up against an almost definite call, am I correct in folding?

I think you are right, you could get an easy call from any T, 9, 8 and will start behind

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We need to not let another opponent pressure us into a decision we know is wrong. the BTN can go all-in any time he wants, It is pretty lame for him to chastise you for trying to play smart.

As for your hands, you need not put the BB all in with the bottom 20% of the deck. That is just reckless, especially on the money bubble. You should have a shoving range and you need to feel good about it. If the BB has 3bb's, then for you to have a 100% shoving range, you should have 30bb's. You don't have that, so you don't need to shove. The BTN dude just wants you to do his dirty work for him.

Good luck and God Bless

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hero has the biggest stack but only with 10bb left and three players remaining, and so folding is conceivable. Raising and getting called is at minimum risking 20% of hero's stack, not to mention the post-flop play, which could end up making hero the short stack himself.

This could be the situation where the two players with the bigger-ish stack will "collude" to eliminate the very short stack. The ICM for all three players actually run close to each other, so essentially hero has to be tighter despite having the "biggest" stack.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would probably wait and not take risks with that type of card, it is not worth the risk, although sometimes I think it gives me a bit of madness and I take risks that turn out very well, but other times it does not work, I think that decision is I take depending on how the other players are playing

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I echo what everyone else is saying. Gotta wait for a better hand. It's tough to watch your stack dwindle away, but even worse to play a hand for your tournament life pretty much knowing you're behind.

This is not for my tournament life as I have 10bb and and the villain about 3bb. With 3bb left he will be calling with many hands, and they are all ahead of the my holdings.

Yeah this is pretty much my take is that folding is correct. I double him up and we are about even stack sizes, and he doubles up again and I'm really in trouble.

Now if his stack is slightly bigger, say 4.5bb and he is VERY tight and calling with a limited range I will loosen up here a little.

Aggressively shoving from the small blind is an effective strategy. Some very successful players who play high volume sit and gos are doing this. But they take it too far. Yesterday after being shoved 4 or 5 times and looking down at rags I called with K7- villain turned of 82 offsuit. I would never shove with cards that weak, but even as I called with the live cards he was around what 38 or 39% to win the hand? Difficult strategy to combat and all you can do is call to defend your blind or fold. I did win the hand, and next rotation he shoves again and I look down at J8 and I had to fold.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would fold and wait for a better opportunity either. There is no reason to risk a chunk of your chips with these hands. Better chances will come.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

With those cards yes folding is the best move.

Now forgetting the cards, its more about the played in the BB. If this gut is just folding and hoping the 2 big stacks will get into it and one gets knocked out, you can steal his chips. Now saying this it is rare but when it does you can take them as long as if you lose it does not cripple you.

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With those cards yes folding is the best move.

Now forgetting the cards, its more about the played in the BB. If this gut is just folding and hoping the 2 big stacks will get into it and one gets knocked out, you can steal his chips. Now saying this it is rare but when it does you can take them as long as if you lose it does not cripple you.

I tend to always play just a bit tighter than everyone else and this has always served me well. With that being said, If I'm in the bb with 2 blinds left and the sb jams me, I'm calling with any two cards. If I have 3bb or 3.5bb and there are other stacks that are about to bust I may actually fold- but there are no other stacks in immediate danger of busting here.

So with that being said, I think I get a call from the bb too often, so I'm not shoving any two cards, especially the worst.

Captainine9

Captainine9

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefere to bet on folding, but it is like tossing a coin, sometimes this type of situation is the game changing moment, there is a number of factors to analyse before calling a hand like that.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
the answer will be fold I think it's clear that in such situations you need to fold I think in the future it will be easier for you to choose the right action

Folding in Poker