Raise/Bet sizing

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The majority of the feedback I have been receiving in hand analysis has been regarding my bet/raise sizing. I am of the old school that until most recently have almost always opened or raised with 3+ BBs, never open limped, however, lately the majority of players in the MTTs I play are using the min raise open and or limp open regardless of their holdings, as well with a lot of Jamming. So I have tried changing to the min raise open with little success. Any suggestions to raise open bet size and what is recommended for sizing when considering your stack size. I do not use any extra software or HUDs.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Although I think you already know this, due to having played with you several times in CC freerolls and be crushed by you...:ROFLMAO:
This is my humble opinion:
This is a very personal question that relates to how you balance your bet sizes against your range and position. Maybe it helps you to be more attentive to your opponents, and their reaction to your size. Then adjust the size according to how you want them to grow.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is difficult to teach the Our Father to the vicar, because each one has a style of playing, I usually sail according to the tide, I analyze my cards, my position, the opponent who made the bet, and I make the decision, and I know that you always make the best decision

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker has changed a lot indeed , the most recent tendency is to min open or at least open raise, tops , 2.5x. Personally I keep it simple and open raise a standard 2x in order to minimize the clicks.
IMO open raising a standard amount will make your opponents wonder what you have and as you have stated there is so much 3bet jamming etc. so that makes sense to me. This strategy give us more opportunities to be aggressive and steal more pots.

As for the bet sizing , the basic rule is if the board is super dry with a big card A,K,Q,J we can bet smalish 25%-40% because we don't need much protection -especially if we have open raised from early position. Bigger sizings 45%-66% apply in wet and dynamic boards where we need more protection etc.

Hope that helps!

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one size fits all for raises. Look at how your oppents played past hands and see if they bet with strength or see if they are a bit loose. Look at the cards they had in previous hands. No guarantee as that inevitable river card will be there to get you!

B

BrunoFabri01

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this subject about bet sizing is a subject that I recently started to study, because I often wonder how much to bet...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The optimal size for open raising depends on the effective stack size. A good starting point is the suggestions from the CC "become a winning poker player in 30 days" course:

> 50 BB - 3BB
25-50BB - 2,5BB
15-25BB - minraise
< 15BB - open shove

This is for games with antes, which most tournaments and MTTs have these days. Once again this is just a starting point, and if you go to 2,5BB with 65BB effective or select to minraise with a 13BB stack, thats totally fine.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The majority of the feedback I have been receiving in hand analysis has been regarding my bet/raise sizing. I am of the old school that until most recently have almost always opened or raised with 3+ BBs, never open limped, however, lately the majority of players in the MTTs I play are using the min raise open and or limp open regardless of their holdings, as well with a lot of Jamming. So I have tried changing to the min raise open with little success. Any suggestions to raise open bet size and what is recommended for sizing when considering your stack size. I do not use any extra software or HUDs.
use a HUD... for a while... a free version will work ( trial..) You will gain more insite and help with pushing tight players... VPIP in the 10 and lower range