Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
500 pokerstars tournament after i was badbeated by a10s(i got jj) i have only 9-10bb. and now qq is being handed out, exactly 1 person remains before the prizes, the chip leader with utg opens, and I tell myself that if someone crashes on the bubble, then I can too, as a result, without fear, I pushed allin, but with fear I looked at each card of the board, eventually took it. the first experience of dangerous situations on the bubble turned out to be quite easy

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If it only takes one person to be eliminated for the prize money, it's not worth the risk even with AA.
A player who doesn't care if he plays with 72 against you because he has enough chips to make it worth the risk can easily eliminate you out at this point. Even if you have rightfully moved all-in with the good hand, it does not comfort you that "this is how the card should be played", because you leave without a prize.
You have to consider whether to go all-in out of pride or be patient and profit. I vote for the latter.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In this case, you must decide how important this tournament is for you, if this is not your last buy-in, why not? Why play poker if you're afraid to play it?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes this is a spot, you need to take. UTG might fold to your jam, and if he call, you are a favourite to more than dubble your stack. Which will significantly increase your chance to make a deep run. When we play MTTs, we never play only to min-cash or only to win. Our goal is a combination of the two. So while your range should be pretty snug in this situation, QQ is still a profitable jam.

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I just did this and went all in on the bubble with AJ with only 5 BBs. I kinda regret it though as the little boost to my bank roll would have been nice and put a smile on me for the rest of the day. I think something like a 72 did beat it! I can’t remember. I just remember watching the percentage slowly go down as the turn and river came down!

A

Ace of Spad3s

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
In this case, you must decide how important this tournament is for you, if this is not your last buy-in, why not? Why play poker if you're afraid to play it?
Because part of poker is being smart about making a profit. And going bust on the bubble leaves you with nothing, while sometimes making a big laydown is the difference between getting paid or not. Sometimes, it's best to lay it down and let someone else make that mistake.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
patience to get paid! on the bubble makes the game so exciting.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With few chips, I'd certainly try to convert my QQ hand to value, especially if the chipleader raises, because he may be more light-hearted due to the size of his chip stack before the bubble.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It's not a satellite.

Get it in with a smile.

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It's better not to take risks and wait for the prizes.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i am running terrible with the ladies :(

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
QQ is a strong hand that is worth the risk. Of course, there are many factors that must be taken into account, there are different situations, different tournaments, but personally I would also be ready to take a risk.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If this first bubble play experience was positive ok! QQ is a strong pair but I would be very careful to play it on the bubble. But with so small stack you didn't have other options!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because part of poker is being smart about making a profit. And going bust on the bubble leaves you with nothing, while sometimes making a big laydown is the difference between getting paid or not. Sometimes, it's best to lay it down and let someone else make that mistake.
folding is not the most profitable option, though. it is the safest to guarantee a cash on the bubble but, if you're thinking about long term profit, you need to call in this spot.

for simplicity, vs a 100% range, qq is an ~80% favorite. so, you can say that 1/4 times, you bust and 3/4 times, you double up to ~20+ bbs.

so, you can either have a 4/4 chance of cashing with a 10 bb stack or a 3/4 chance of cashing a 20+ bb stack. which do you think gives you the better opportunity to profit in the long run?

you might think 4 chances are better than 3, but does a 10 bb stack play the same as a 20 bb stack? what can a 20 bb stack do, as far as chip accumulation, better than a 10 bb stack? which stack sizes benefits more from a double up? what if you're card dead, which stack handle having to fold a lot of hands? these are all things you to think about. it's not impossible to run well with 10 bbs, but you have a much better chance to run well with 20 bbs at the cost of not cashing 1/4 times.

it's not just what you can profit now, it's the potential profit you're allowing yourself to gain. but you don't get you see that potential if you're folding qq on the bubble as a short stack. majority of the time, on the bubble as a short stack, you're going to get dealt bad hands and you're going to fold into the money. you don't need to fold hands as strong as qq, in this spot, because it doesn't happen a lot. maximize your opportunity and potential to run deep, make ft, and earn a much bigger profit.

Last edited:
BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just had a similar spot but I needed the BB to fold to survive another orbit or 2 around the table with 20 folks to go in an ACR freeroll to just min cash for a few pennies, lol.

I had to do it UTG with the ladies as the blinds were 125/250 plus antes with about 1000 chips and those blinds about to hit me so that's 375 plus all the antes so I would have less than 2 orbits considering the antes. The blinds would probably incresase to the next level as well during the time for the 20 to go as well so not a good spot.

And if I fold the Queens and pay the orbit there is also a slight chance that ACR decides to move me to another table with the blinds right there to hit me then I'm done.

So I had to take it. Just a little different than your spot, lol.

But to the original poster, it really depends on what you can win, in my spot, with just 1000 chips and I get one caller and that's all I was going to get because everyone knew I had something nasty besides the BB, lol wouldn't change my fate even if I double up but put me at risk of being kicked out of the tourn .

2000 would definitely get me o the min cash but it would be a long way with a lot of doubling ups just to get to 10k, lol.