Q8s with 10BB

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ten bigs is the key - if you really want to win, you shove. Waiting for big hands (that might very well lose to worse hands anyway) is certainly going to get you felted. Even with ten bigs, at a final table, you have so little fold equity, you could get called by far worse hands. Any pair, any large card, you are going to probably get called.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
5 players left at the table, folds to you on the button.

Generally speaking, is this a shove or not?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

This isn't even a question. It's a never fold. Completely standard shove with 10 bbs.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EZ shove in a vacuum.

With antes it's always a fold. There are some EXTREME conditions live where I might consider a fold for a second, but then i'd probably just talk myself out of it....it's a jam.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
EZ shove in a vacuum.

With antes it's always a fold. There are some EXTREME conditions live where I might consider a fold for a second, but then i'd probably just talk myself out of it....it's a jam.

The only time this can ever be a fold is if the blinds are good thinking players that know you're jamming light and will call with Q9-QJ and any Kx or Ax hand. If the blinds are weak passive players that you know will fold most weak Kx and Ax hands, then its a jam every time

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time this can ever be a fold is if the blinds are good thinking players that know you're jamming light and will call with Q9-QJ and any Kx or Ax hand. If the blinds are weak passive players that you know will fold most weak Kx and Ax hands, then its a jam every time

I mistyped lol....its always a JAM not a FOLD, lol.

Silly me.

It's a jam....I just meant in very specific spots live against VERY weak opponents who offer insane spots elsewhere I could maybe think about it.

It's a jam.

I

Icebear847

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like the bottom of your shoving range vs. the v bottom of his calling range, I would fold here, even short handed, especially if the blind was a lag and had me covered. The hands he calls with here are almost always going to be on top to a certain degree, I think only that special lag would call with low suited connectors. But would call with a baby ace and at that point your at best a coin flip. And I forget who said it, but someone once said that just because a situation is plus ev doesn't mean its always right. And let's say theoretically that you fold here and float down to 5 BB with 5 players, you get, what?roughly 20 more hands to shoot with. The hands he folds to your shove and win the blinds and antes uncontested vs how many times he will call and you actually win. Because in my eyes, you lose that flip a lot of times because of his calling range vs your hand.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove Q8s+ in this spot, waiting for a "better" hand will make your fold next to zero. Definitively an ICM push!

Funny you start about an ICM push while there's no info about all stacksizes and payouts.
Though ICM might be something to consider, were it not OP said he didn't care about 9th.
Still, pretty sure I would jam.

O

Omri266

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with 10BB you should fold.
You have enough time to get better cards.
I think you have to push here only if you have 5-6 BB, not more.