Pushing all in with AA early in low buy in MTT???

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a 5 dollar buyin first hand i am shoving aa against aggression all day

B

BostonRobber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'll definitely fish out the other big pairs with this approach and will start way ahead. It would be really had to lay down Kings to some fool going all in on the first hand, so it probably will work for you more often than not.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thinking about it, what hands are gonna call??

I think, early in this kind of MTT,

Any pair 88+, A10+. This is not to mention te "any 2 cards can win" brigade who will see a pot with 3 allins as a big way of winning the MTT.

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to remember alot of bad players try to double up very early on. If they do win it, it was worth while for them otherwise they go and start another one.

This happens alot in cheap sng's

I had QQ and raised 5 times the blind i had two raisers after me so i folded. The eventual winner held JT with two pair!! All in is a lotto and thats how some like to play.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to remember alot of bad players try to double up very early on. If they do win it, it was worth while for them otherwise they go and start another one.

This happens alot in cheap sng's

I had QQ and raised 5 times the blind i had two raisers after me so i folded. The eventual winner held JT with two pair!! All in is a lotto and thats how some like to play.

Agree with this, but I have learned through this site that the outcome is irrelevant. U get all your chips in good and u have done your job.

This is why, to an extent, I am suggesting pusing early in a MTT with AA is a + move.

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not the perfect play-the AA or KK will get cracked on occasion when you shove early like that- but really what better place is there to shove those hands in when you know you are probably going to get multiple callers with FAR inferior hands than you have?

Bengals_Boy

Bengals_Boy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like mini bettin these.Im not tryin to get knocked out of the tourney this early by some fish with 810suited and hitting two plair on the flop.I would rather shove and hope one of them donks shove with A rag or AK somthing but that can bite you too.Depending on your bankroll i would shove but i dont really want 4 or 5 people calling either.That can be scary when u got two or three people with pockect mid pairs and others with draws,thats probably the worst case scenerio for me.Those few seconds watching them cards come though is what this game is all about.Gotta love that feeling when it goes you way.......

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of low buy ins I would call with pocket A's. It is almost inevitable that somebody will raise on the way round along with a few callers. In low buy ins people seem to play any cards in the early stages. When it comes back to you you have maximised the chips and most of them will now fold except 1 or 2 of course who cannot help themselves. This has worked for me more often than it hasn't which is what you would expect of course.

W

weirdhotshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's pretty common, actually. Pocket aces on the first hand is a popular early all in move by intelligent players. It looks like donkmania and will get callers, especially on the first hand, for no reason at all.

However, I would advise against it. While if you get a caller you can double up from the beginning of the tournament, you can also be knocked out and sit there wishing you hadn't just lost your buy in.

In almost all low buy in tournaments, I tend to sit out for the beginning regardless of hands. I think the less you go all in, the better you are as a player, and the less angry you get at the world. Bad beats are more remembered when they knock you out than when you lose 1/4 of your stack.

In the end, do what you think is right. I think it would be more valuable to just treat it well. Since it's the first hand, raise more than usual, maybe 7x the BB or something a little bizarre because people enjoy seeing the first hand. Make them pay for it and walk away with a large stack. This way, in the 20-30 percent of the time where they beat you, you won't be done and can fight your way back.

Last thought on the matter, there isn't a tremendous benefit to doubling up that early in the tournament. We all know it takes continuous good performance throughout the MTT to make it to the final table and take down the win. Patience is more valuable than a large starting stack.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Pocket aces on the first hand is a popular early all in move by intelligent players. It looks like donkmania and will get callers, especially on the first hand, for no reason at all."

That comment sums it up weirdshot. I think it's a good move. If you're ever likely to get someone calling a straight shove with AA it's first hand, and you'd be surprised the sort of hands that call you, purely cause they just think you're being an idiot.

Last edited:
D

deumsac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls, in the first few hands, typically there will be several all-inners. If I get a KK, should I push?

In the past, I've folded with AJ and AQ and even AK....

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would take my chances. If I think I will get a bunch of callers with anything less that all-in I push. Basically, I want to bet the exact amount that will get me a couple of callers. But, at the begginning of any tournament it is hard to know what that amount is. So, I would push every time all-in. Who knows it may just get you labeled as a donk. Which if they didn't get you paid on that hand and everyone folded, I am sure another over bet later on is going to get paid off.