Progressive knock-out bounty tournaments

elwood

elwood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think of the progressive knock out bounty tournaments?

The pko,s and being able to re-buy over and over changes the way a tournament plays.

Those with deep pockets go all-in with any suited cards with 50bb and if it doesn't hit, re-buy and try again. Those without are on the rail with pocket kk losing to 56 suited

As with any change you need to adjust to the style of your opponents, but this seems to be a fundamental change to the way the game is played.

What do you think?

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, such tournaments can provide an opportunity to reduce variance in the long run.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKOs reward more risk talking, because typically half the price pool is rewarded for knocking out other players, and without a big stack you cant contend for that money. So either you should adjust to that or not play the format. As for not being able to afford a rebuy, if that is the case, you are not following bankroll management. Bankroll wise there is no difference between playing 3 similar tournaments and playing 1 tournament, where you rebuy (often called reenter) twice after busting.

You make it sound like, players rebuying (reentering) gain some kind of unfair advantage, but that is complete nonsense. We are not talking about the wsop main event, where winning the title comes with opportunities and honour. We are talking about common online or live tournaments, where nobody care, who wins. So all, that matter, is to maximize our ROI, and actually rebuying in PKO events dont do that. In fact you normally want to avoid it, unless you bust very early, because once players have been knocked out, you are no longer contending for the full price pool. So often its better to wait for the next event to begin rather than reenter.

It sounds like, you just hate loose and wild play, and in that case maybe you should just stick to regular tournaments without bounties. PKOs can be very profitable, especially at the lowest limits, where some people over adjust to the bounties. But if you are playing for fun and dont enjoy the way, a particular game play, then by all means play something else.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I love PKOs! :biggrin: :love:

Just avoid late registering whether or not it's a rebuy.

You ideally want to be starting from the very first hand with a full starting stack. :icon_thum

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to sign up for a free satellite last night before bed. My eyes were already sleepy and I missed and signed up for the $1.10 knockout tournament.
I was scared, but I had to play. I got AK suited, on the flop two more K. And in the end I lost after all-in.
Everything is as always, however. But for some reason, it's just embarrassing. I wasn't going to spend $1.10 on this nonsense.

The end result is a bad dream. :(

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO's are generally more aggressive than regular tournaments as Bounty factor reduces the equity required to play the hand.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like these type of tournies because its an all in or nothing

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
The good thing about KO Poker is that you can get your buy-in money back before entering the winning seats

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play PKO! I think the smaller the entry, the more crazy plays we find..lol but the bounty is 50% of the prize pool in these tournaments. In some cases I believe that crazy calls have their reasons depending on stacks..
[emoji453][emoji848][emoji3037][emoji3037][emoji1782]([emoji765])

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pko's, without late register I play wherever I want a quick buck

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like those tournaments , the instant reward is something amazing for all type of players. The winner of those tournaments gets so much more money compared to the rest of the field (2nd finisher includent).
But personally my all time favorite type of tournaments are the deep stacked freezouts!

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn’t like this format of tournaments before, but now I love them))

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My 1st thoughts on PKO poker is why would i want to play them. While yes some player do take more chances just trying to win a bounty they are actually a lot of fun once you start playing them. Just last night I 3x my buy in on a tournament I played it. I just min cashed. Most of the profit came from the Knockouts.

If you dont like the fact that some player will make that dumb call and possible crack your king I would suggest just playing normal ones just as Fundiver said. Personally I have re-buy events so I dont play them at all and just stick to regular ones and re-entry.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good format. A lot of people go all-in because of the bounty with medium hands.

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can’t till I have enough money 💰!

I wanted to sign up for a free satellite last night before bed. My eyes were already sleepy and I missed and signed up for the $1.10 knockout tournament.
I was scared, but I had to play. I got AK suited, on the flop two more K. And in the end I lost after all-in.
Everything is as always, however. But for some reason, it's just embarrassing. I wasn't going to spend $1.10 on this nonsense.

The end result is a bad dream. :(
Those are my favourite tournaments too KO . Playing free roll now losing a lot those tournaments with a lot of good hands but that’s OK have no money involved! Hope my luck change and win a few tournaments and a few buck $ ! It take a long time to build up money on free roll!

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knock-out bounty tournaments aim at knock-out.

All-in preflop is the best selection for chips leader.

It's a game combines poker and bingo.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dont like the fact that some player will make that dumb call and possible crack your king I would suggest just playing normal ones just as Fundiver said.

With that being said if OP or anyone else wants to play for profit, then they need to make piece with bad calls and bad beats. Because games with a lot of loose action are always going to be more profitable to play than games, where everyone are very tight. Sure if people are to tight, you can attack them and steal their blinds more. But this is never going to be as profitable as getting it all-in preflop with KK against J8s and winning 4 out of 5 times.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello to all
I've been playing knockout tournaments on GG lately, I like the fact that I almost never lose my buyin

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
With that being said if OP or anyone else wants to play for profit, then they need to make piece with bad calls and bad beats. Because games with a lot of loose action are always going to be more profitable to play than games, where everyone are very tight. Sure if people are to tight, you can attack them and steal their blinds more. But this is never going to be as profitable as getting it all-in preflop with KK against J8s and winning 4 out of 5 times.

Exactly dead on. While its easy to be upset when kings lose to some random crap lets be honest, you were happy when they called you. You will win 80% of the time but they will win every so often. These are profitable spots we want.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While its easy to be upset when kings lose to some random crap lets be honest, you were happy when they called you.

Exactly. You never hear people complain about loose play in poker forums, when they ended up winning the hand ;)

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those are my favourite tournaments too KO . Playing free roll now losing a lot those tournaments with a lot of good hands but that’s OK have no money involved! Hope my luck change and win a few tournaments and a few buck $ ! It take a long time to build up money on free roll!������

Completely agree with you, friend. Good luck at the gaming tables! :icon_bigs