Problem with focus, any suggestions?

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just multitable and there is no more boredom. Its better than getting distracted by TV, Web, Skype, ... and the 180man´s have still a lot of variance - because of this you have to play more tables simultaneously too !

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think ur gonna need to play for some more meaningful stakes to play for, or perhaps set goals like u want to place in X spot or get X payout in a particular tourn to make u concentrate and play better.

what I do sometimes to avoid what ur describing is find a distraction either a movie or play more tables.

Sure, a distraction isn’t gonna make me play my best but when im distracted and doing something else it gets rid of that feeling to play those mediocre hands and hard drawing hands or whatever that get a lot of ppl in trouble.

When im watching a movie on the side im not gonna be interested in playing those mediocre hands and it helps me avoid that adventurous mood that gets a lot of ppl in trouble.

When Im watching the movie- im more interested in my chip stack to blinds ratio, than anything else and less on whats dealt to me and in what position.

If I get tooo distracted like playing the wrong game in HORSE for example, its time to turn off the distraction lololol.

Sometimes I also put a note near the screen saying simply “U know better” that helps sometimes too- lolololol.

If u want good reminders to play well -u could also break out a good tourn book while playing if u got 1 or go to ur favorite tourn strategy web page or watch a academy video in the full tilt academy or wherever u can go to reinforce good poker play to avoid that “adventurous” feeling.

U could also just call up some1 or get a family mbr and letem remind u to play ur best game and not do silly things if u got a tendency to getting “adventurous”. lol

Anyway, distractions and reminders help me.

I don’t know about sitting out because u might miss out on a good opportunity. Sooo I don’t know, but it works for some ppl after a bad beat or something so its good to take under consideration.

GL
I like your advice and thought process...sounds like a plan that I "sometimes" incorporate. But, sometimes I forget...like today...whatever, good advice! thanks for sharing, Wally

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The problem posed by OP here is at the crux of the successful jump to higher levels in tournament poker.

I will venture an educated guess that we all go through this, continually! We are human, and it is nearly impossible to to avoid that feeling of invincibility we all get when things start off well. Nearly impossible, but not absolutely impossible.

I know I struggle with it EVERY SINGLE TOURNEY I PLAY. It is a major reason I have always preferred HORSE tourneys. The changing games prevents me from falling into a rut. On those occasions where I show myself I have the right stuff and can avoid just playing hands because I have the big stack, I find I do much better. But during the middle stages of all MTT's we all suffer with some sort of anxiousness. Could be we don't think our big stack is big enough, or that we remember reading somewhere that as the big stack there are some fuzzy responsibilities involved to use that big stack like a club (nonsense for the most part), or in my personal case I get that feeling I need to be the Table Cop.

Proper poker can be extremely boring. They call it the grind for good reason. I almost always have some other distraction going during play, usually solitaire. Time dependent distractions like a significant other demanding time right now, or a side game like tetris don't work well. But solitaire is not time dependent.

Many folks deal with this by multi-tabling.

Perhaps the bottom line is yeah, you do increase your opportunities when you start well, but you (and I and everyone) need to remember that a 1% or 5% increase in steal attempts will suffice. You don't want to go hog-wild and steal every other hand. That for sure will end up pokercidal.
DJ11, I like what you've stated and agree totally. Will try to incorporate your suggestions. Thanks much, Wally :)

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ok guys,

So what I've got so far:

a.) Watch a movie
b.) Focusyn: I'll think about that one
c.) Take a break
d.) Play a game on the side
e.) Don't bluff
f.) Think about the money
g.) Play more meaningful stakes(prob. the main reason but don't wanna break BRM)
h.) Think about where I am in relation to where I might be had I not 2x/3x'd up
i.) Take up smoking.

Nice suggestions guys, I'll put this list next to my PC

cheers for the input
Just remember:

"You cannot play the Final Table or HU without making it there!"

You can quote me on that one, Wally :)