Pot Limit Omaha MTTs

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I have recently started some PLO after many years of NLHE, I find the Omaha a lot more fun and more challenging. Mostly because of the Hand Value Swings from Pre flop to post flop. The choice of which starting hands to play is pretty much wide open, I do try to play hands that have more potential, ie., straights, flushes etc. I still don't comprehend why some players in PLO MTTs choose to make wild raises pre flop. The potential for drastic hand value changes is pretty high, you would think that it would be much wiser to at least wait for the flop before going crazy. Any of you seasoned Omaha players out there have any tips for starting hands? Am I right to not play unless I have potential for at lease two options (Str8 or flush or both)? One thing for sure this is not the game for any players that TILT easily.. :):):)

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I have recently started some PLO after many years of NLHE, I find the Omaha a lot more fun and more challenging. Mostly because of the Hand Value Swings from Pre flop to post flop. The choice of which starting hands to play is pretty much wide open, I do try to play hands that have more potential, ie., straights, flushes etc. I still don't comprehend why some players in PLO MTTs choose to make wild raises pre flop. The potential for drastic hand value changes is pretty high, you would think that it would be much wiser to at least wait for the flop before going crazy. Any of you seasoned Omaha players out there have any tips for starting hands? Am I right to not play unless I have potential for at lease two options (Str8 or flush or both)? One thing for sure this is not the game for any players that TILT easily.. :):):)

Hi CDNMAN.

I hope you are enjoying your PLO experience, it sounds like you could be enjoying it more though!

You can get starting hand ranges for PLO just like in Holdem and its worth taking a look at the general guides, its different to Holdem in many respects (which you are probably working out).

Have you been to the Cardschat Strategy pages for Omaha?

Its a great place to start. Heres the link.

https://www.cardschat.com/pot-limit-omaha-guide.php

As for crazy pre flop raises, this would appear to be players who know that most others will fold against aggression due to the wild variation from strength pre flop to strength post flop and especially on the river.

Would you call or raise against aggression in Holdem? The same probably applies to a greater extent in PLO and some sharks definitely take advantage of that. Representing a very strong hand preflop can be enough in PLO...even if you don't have one (beware though!).

Your starting range is also very different, and some pocket hands which you may think have great strength pre flop lose out as soon as the flop is dealt. Even AA.

Once the flop has landed, then you will possibly find that bluffing is often less apparent in omaha and therefore strong hands generally prevail.

Have a look at the CardsChat guide to PLO and have a detailed look at seating ranges this will definitely help you to pick the right spots to play with maximum effect.

All the best

BB

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PLO

Thanks for the response and I am enjoying the game and of course learning and earning along the way:):):)

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Some really good tips above.

Search up Edward Hutchison he created a points system in the late 90's to help with starting hand strengths.

G

geokara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love omaha, it is more interesting!

S

shurik8888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also prefer Omaha to NLHE but strange enough I lose more money in Omaha than in NLHE

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really more fun, but it's harder to read the opponent. I think PLO is great for a cash game or a fun game. If there is a lot of aggression from a player on the preflop, you need to play, 70% of the players will end up on the river with nothing. PLO requires not to be afraid to go to the end, no matter how much the opponent puts. I see a lot of bluff from the players, because after aggression, many do not get on the map and only bluff remains... I like to find a set or trips) it's great), the flush scares me, because many times the opponent had a flush older... : (this is a disappointment for me :(

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play Omaha too from time to time. Its more fun than Holdem sometimes because you play definitely more hands than in Holdem where you folding most of the time of course it depends on a lot of aspects but in general I do play hands like couple suited cards or some pairs.

M

mollymaggie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First, let me say I hate PL in that game it allows too many players to suc out on you. When I play I like to hold pairs of something. If I play for a flush I want to hold hi suited cards
If I have those in my hand I'll call those wild raises but I do prefer if the players allow me to see the flop with a limp in :cool:

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More important than starting hand ranges is just understanding how to play postflop in PLO. Many NLHE principles such as position and bet sizing still apply, and shouldn't be too difficult to transfer over, but things like pot size control and playing draws are much more nuanced. Since you're gonna see a lot of flops anyway, I'd suggest strengthening this part of your game instead.

As you mentioned, postflop play gets out of control in a hurry so you want to give yourself the best shot of winning by having as many outs as possible. A strong starting hand with related cards helps you get there more often, but good decision making is still crucial. For example, chasing a flush into a paired board in a multi-way pot is usually not going to end well but you see people jamming this draw all the time. A strong starting hand isn't gonna do much to save a player who consistently plays like that.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like PL Omaha!! I love this game mode. The first MTT that I won was a PL Omaha tournament :)

Sorry for my english :D