Poker Variance

glaucos

glaucos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
We are often in a Leading Tournament and we take that Bad, get angry many times, but the question would be how to play better from the middle to the end? Do you hold your hand to play premium only? Start if you have more chips on the table? Do these great details shorten the tournament or not what is the best decision?

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends on the game and the villains you're up against.

But the biggest thing is "looking after your stack".

Too many players (including me), work hard grinding it out in an MTT to get down to two or three tables worth of players and lose the plot and start calling off stupid bets, bluffing excessively, and forgetting how to fold.

It's great when everyone is playingh super tight...you can min-bet until the cows come home.
When everyone is super loose, buckle down and wait for a made hand ( QQ or better).

When it is a mixed table, you need to play each opponent accordingly and you need to be very aware of position. You need to upo the hand strength you're opening with from early position and potentially be a bit looser form late position, trying to see a cheap flop and be ready to fold when you miss.

You also have to be really careful chasing draws. open ended stragight draw? Don't forget you've only got 8 outs there...and fewer if this can lead to flushes and bigger straights. Do you really want to bet your tourney life on 8 outs? (answer: only if you are going to get paid off big time).

Stop calling 5-way shoves with Ace rag.
In fact, stop calling 5-way shoves with ANYTHING other than KK or AA.

I prefer a mix of GTO and Exploitative poker. GTO forms the main basis for bet, raise or fold....meanwhile I will add in some periodic 3-bets from in position to push villains off a pot, or to steal blinds. I like to steal from the nits (with small bets) and drain the call stations (with large bets). I will fold vs the nits more often and respect their bets. raises and shoves.

Ideally, you can find one of those players who shove every hand. All you must do is wait for the right moment and then take all his chips (pre-flop shove with a made premium pair).

I assume you're really referring to freerolls, as normal micro tourneys don't really get that same extreme level of fishy bingo-ness,

Some games, you should definitely take the early rebuy and always take the add-on (unless you are broke). A good example of this: Sunday Million satties. It is pretty reasonable to win the $11 ticket...and very doable to win the $109 ticket. The poker stars power path series is also full of shove-any-two-cards players and easy to get to the $11 stage.

Go on then! Shuffle up and deal!

regards,
JT

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every decision you make will be crucial in deciding how far you will go in a given tournament.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Learn how to stop getting angry when another player beats you, even if they had to get lucky. Variance is part of the game and always will be so you have to know that going in. When you get more and more experienced at this game you will get it.
Also remember when you tilt it takes you off your A game, don’t let that happen.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Pay more attention to your position, the opening range should depend on your position, the number of chips and the aggressiveness of the players at the table!!! I don’t think that waiting only for premium hands is the right strategy!!!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you need to look at many factors - position, ranges, stage, opponents before and after, but even making the right decision does not guarantee winning, you need to play the distance to smooth out the dispersion

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I try to be more careful, stay calm, at that point you can't waste the chips as if I were playing from the beginning, but there are also factors that I take into account: how the rest of the players at my table are playing, what is my stack

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Step away for a few hands. Replay the hands. If honestly played correctly then just accept variance. If there’s something you could’ve done then learn from it and apply it