Is poker more about skill or luck?

coldwest

coldwest

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
In my opinion if we talk about one tournament, then here 95% of luck, and if we talk about the distance of at least 1000 tournaments, then 95% takes the skill. What do you think?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the short term luck, and in the long term skill.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In the short term luck, and in the long term skill.
Yes, all is right. If you look at the probability distribution of the total winnings for playing in several tournaments, then the "distribution bell" will be smeared along the x-axis, which will be tantamount to a large spread of results. And if you look at the same thing for playing in thousands of tournaments, then the "distribution bell" for this case will narrow, become very high and thin, and the spread of results relative to the average value of the expected payoff will not be so large.

In general, all this can be described more briefly, in one word: dispersion (or variance)))

badbanking79

badbanking79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
skills, patience and luck... you got all that and you will be in the money

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
skills, patience and luck... you got all that and you will be in the money
Or not...🤣🤣 I pushed all in on the flop. (Was the only move ..Pot commited and normally a win..)
Of course he calls and wins.

So yes to the inital question both luck(e.g evading morons on the table like this one) and skills.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-28-20-40-31-166_com.pyrsoftware.pokerstars.eu.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-28-20-40-31-166_com.pyrsoftware.pokerstars.eu.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 10
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The skill rests in taking the correct calculated risks.

The luck rests in the results of each risk.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is an eternal question, just like the chicken and the egg, and there will always be disputes about it as long as poker lives.:)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is an eternal question, just like the chicken and the egg, and there will always be disputes about it as long as poker lives.:)
The chicken and the egg question has a solution, FYI. It's like a Zen koan. ;)

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, I completely agree. In the short distance, poker is roulette. In the long distance, experience and knowledge matter

UngureanuDan

UngureanuDan

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you have experience and play the game for a long time is more skill then luck in my opinion.

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you play cash games, then skills of the game prevail here, and if you play tournament poker, then luck is more here.

AD_all

AD_all

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Poker is a game that involves both skill and luck. While luck plays a role in the short term, over the long term, the skill of the player will generally play a larger role in determining their success.
In poker, players are dealt a hand of cards and must use their skills to make the best decision based on the information available to them. This involves analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of their hand, as well as the actions of their opponents. Players must also be able to read their opponents and adjust their strategy based on the changing dynamics of the game.
However, even the most skilled player will occasionally run into bad luck, such as getting dealt a weak hand or facing a lucky draw from their opponent. In these cases, luck can play a larger role in the outcome of the hand.
Overall, the skill of the player is the primary factor in determining their success in poker. However, luck will always play a role, and it is important for players to be able to manage their emotions and adjust their strategy when luck is not on their side.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion it's skill, but without luck you can't win tournaments.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion if we talk about one tournament, then here 95% of luck, and if we talk about the distance of at least 1000 tournaments, then 95% takes the skill. What do you think?
Hi.
Your calculations are incorrect. It simply cannot be. It cannot be that one tournament is 95% luck, and a thousand tournaments is 95% skill. This ratio is simply absurd.

L

laurao07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you! In the long term its luck!

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
When you were dealt cards for one distribution, then luck can help you in it.
But at a distance, when hundreds of hands have been played, skill is already important here)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It's skill , online or live . Ofcourse online skill fomes more to the point yo be able to play with the RNG .........

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like all games of skill, poker has a vibrant community of professionals. Now such a community could not exist if poker were merely a game of chance. Just think of the lottery: it would be absurd if there was a competition of lottery players, as everyone involved would be unable to control the outcome of the game. That's not what happens in poker. As if it were a sport, poker has several idols and great champions

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I think there are both, but for me it is more skill than luck, of course in the short term luck will always influence more, but in the long term skill comes to the fore, since you can be lucky in a tournament or in a cash game and win, but if you don't have skill you will only lose more times than you will win. To have the ability you must investigate, study, update yourself and put into practice everything you have learned, there are people who are born to be winners in everything they do, but the vast majority are winners for their research, studies and putting into practice everything they have learned, to to become good at something, it must be done out of interest and conscientiously and not as a hobby.

J

jazux48

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for several years and made sure that it depends more on luck, yesterday luck smiled twice at me on the last map)

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's lucky, because I've seen bad players win tournaments, what other explanation would I have.

Duxflux

Duxflux

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't say it's 95%. The bigger your starting stack, the more you have the decision to also sometimes fold good hands, as long as you want to avoid "crazy" players. I would argue that more than 40% in a single tournament depends on skill.