Pocket queens.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What opinions do you have of this hand?

Last few tournaments this hand has been my downfall. Ive played it differently. All in, 3 bet, call. In different positions too. I just cant seem to win with them.

On the face of it, its a very strong hand. But you know if you see a king or ace on the flop. It's hard to play with confidence.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet them all in only if you are short stacked. When you have a decent stack, be aggressive. The cards will fall where they will. These are like JJ, there are many ways to play them and many of them wrong.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Well ... if you have "QQ" in your hand, you should definitely play it aggressively ... although sometimes I end up losing the spot ... remember that there is always a percentage of chance that that hand ends up losing ... which we call variance ...! I'll tell you that I'd rather lose my "QQ" by playing aggressively than losing by having a "slow play"

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them like any other pair. Depending on the table, position, etc...

In tournaments especially early on I try to avoid all ins pre-flop. Im looking at set mining the pair and seeing a flop.

I have been playing cash games more recently and I tend to play the same way except now you have some reads on the table as well as not sweating over the blind changes.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have QQ then... You need to provide more informations.

A

ACHYUT gupta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one should never jam QQ UNLESS less than 10 bb

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket queens

Funny thing I actually had them twice. in the UTG position. 3bb an flop came up 74A.
I bet and UTG+1 and LJ went all in. I called because they were lose players. Not the right thing to do when their cards were AK. I was done no queen. 2nd time same position went in with half my stack. very large stack so as to not risk my entire stack. Had 2 callers UG+1 and cutoff. flop came. AA4. Calculated the odes of no ace out. went all in. both players had an A.
No queen and gone again. So my summation is 3 bb then if an ace comes up fold as fast as you can. if no ace then all in would be appropriate unless there is a pocket pair on the flop. Then be carefull.

Bethrezen420

Bethrezen420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think postions matters a lot.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is actually the hardest hand to play for me especially preflop . in cash games i rarely shove with them preflop . in tournaments it is another story but even then it is a hard decision

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any hand has its own chance of not winning. Pocket two Queens is a very good hand, but if the opponent has AK or AA or KК, the probability of losing increases

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently lost QQ against JJ AK, the flop gave them nothing but the turn turned up K and the river was also K.
I don't like it when I lose with pocket pairs, especially when they are older.

R

redsfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position,but no matter how i play them,i lose way more times than i win.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your situation is just a failure. This hand is a "monster" and you only need to raise or go all-in with it in almost all cases. Over the long run, everything will be straightened out and by this strategy you will be in big advantage with pocket queens. Luck comes and goes, but the right game remains.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What opinions do you have of this hand?

Last few tournaments this hand has been my downfall. Ive played it differently. All in, 3 bet, call. In different positions too. I just cant seem to win with them.

On the face of it, its a very strong hand. But you know if you see a king or ace on the flop. It's hard to play with confidence.

my opinion is that its a monster hand that is only losing to aces and kings preflop however as it happens with all the high pairs they lose lot of equity on multiway pots so the best thing to do is to make a big raise preflop if there are lots of limpers and 3 bet or even 4 bet in most scenarios. if you are in a good position like dealer or cutoff and you are facing 1 or more players even if the flop is kxx or axx you are going to be the last player to act so if all the players checks after the flop you will be most likely ahead in the hand and you can play the hand with confidence knowing the all of your opponents have already act before you and if you bet and any of your opponents raises you he/she will be most likely having a pair of kings or a better hand and if that happens you can just fold the hand and wait for another hand to increase your chipstack.

Last edited:
J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is that its a monster hand that is only losing to aces and kings preflop however as it happens with all the high pairs they lose lot of equity on multiway pots so the best thing to do is to make a big raise preflop if there are lots of limpers and 3 bet or even 4 bet in most scenarios. if you are in a good position like dealer or cutoff and you are facing 1 or more players even if the flop is kxx or axx you are going to be the last player to act so if all the players checks after the flop you will be most likely ahead in the hand and you can play the hand with confidence knowing the all of your opponents have already act before you and if you bet and any of your opponents raises you he/she will be most likely having a pair of kings or a better hand and if that happens you can just fold the hand and wait for another hand to increase your chipstack.

Thanks for your input..

W

WolfDieter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U wouldn't Jam QQ with 14BB left deep in an MTT? I mean it depends on preflopactions and bytes, but it's a damn PRETTY hand!

W

WolfDieter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thoughts about achy's thoughts...

;)

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are so many factors involved on each street of every hand that it is next ti impossible to discuss a particular hand in a data vacuum. That being said I think the best approach to your problem is to have a clear idea why you are taking the action you finally decide on. If you find you don't know what to do in certain situations then make up a plan before you even start the tournament and then stick to it. For example you're happy calling a 3bb bet from a single player pre-flop but what if there was a bet, a raise to say, 10bbs and another caller leaving you facing a 4 way pot and a 10bb call. There are, of course, lots of other examples so why not make it simple. Make a plan to limit the damage if you are out drawn by capping how much you are willing to spend to get to the flop. Make that amount a percentage of your stack so it rises and falls as your stack rises or falls.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your input..

you are welcome. i have just recently played a hand with qq on a 0.10 sit and go on dealer position and played the hand exactly like i said. 2 limpers and i raise to 5 bb preflop. flop was kxx both players check before me then i make a continuation bet of 1/2 the pot and both players folded their hands. i could have checked back and bet on the turn however i ve decided to make a value bet and since nobody hits the king i won the hand.

J

Jadeyt92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are so many factors involved on each street of every hand that it is next ti impossible to discuss a particular hand in a data vacuum. That being said I think the best approach to your problem is to have a clear idea why you are taking the action you finally decide on. If you find you don't know what to do in certain situations then make up a plan before you even start the tournament and then stick to it. For example you're happy calling a 3bb bet from a single player pre-flop but what if there was a bet, a raise to say, 10bbs and another caller leaving you facing a 4 way pot and a 10bb call. There are, of course, lots of other examples so why not make it simple. Make a plan to limit the damage if you are out drawn by capping how much you are willing to spend to get to the flop. Make that amount a percentage of your stack so it rises and falls as your stack rises or falls.
Thank you for your advice. There is so much more to poker than i have learnt thus far. :)

Bobbybones1950

Bobbybones1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ace or king on flop c bet.

If called proceed with caution or just Muck and wait for a better opportunity

:joyman:

A

alge0815

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like pocket Queens. It's a strong hand but of course you have to decide after the flop how you want to play. It really depends which three cards have been revealed. Also it depends how many players are in the pot and how the others are playing.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This card needs to be raised very much so that no one comes into play with an ace or king with a small kicker. In this case, they will fold such a card and you have a better chance of winning.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like any other hand, huge pair or suited connectors, especulative or not, played very carefully pre and post flop... position and action analysis is very important.

Except when you're 10- BBs. Than it's shove and hope you don't finkd the KK and AA. ;)