Pocket pairs in early position

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
how i play pocket pairs that are low (22-77) is to not play them over aggressively.

Even in a bad position, if I'm low stacked i go all in to try and build my short stack.
If its just the start of a game in a bad spot to get a low pocket, with 3-5 callers from a 4bb bet i fold these.
if its just a 3bb i would just call and hope to catch a set one the flop!

This would be my advice. but i wouldn't say it is the best advice. everyone has their own perspective on low pockets, but this would be mine

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play them very carefully. Obviously I’m not gonna flop a set most of the time so I’m only calling post flop against players that are splashing many pots hoping to hit a set cheaply. Otherwise I’m not going broke with pairs that are likely dominated.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well for me it depends how the blinds are and how playable the card might seem in the arena. lots of callers means low pair is a definite call most of the times your chances of making trips is at a higher chance.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
range your pocket pair to your opponents hand. what they are calling with, what they are re raising with ,..etc. keep it simple.

M

MrTerek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early position, I play pairs like this: 22-88 I do the pass, 99-10 10 I call, and JJ-AA I raise at least 3 bb or bet the pot. I think this strategy helps to minimize the risk and maximally benefit from the pocket pair. In most cases, in small pairs I break through, although the odds should be about 50 to 50, because I try to rarely enter the game on such pairs. On pairs 99-1010 I win about 50% of hands, because I go to them more often in the game than in small pairs. Well and on pairs JJ-AA all converges with statistics.
Your pocket cards in early position face up with that strategy
U should play similar middle pairs and high pairs