Pocket Jack Theory

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With any hand you have the option to fold, bet, or raise. so with pocket jacks I worked out a system where :
Fold- If both Jacks have two eyes.
Bet-If one Jack is two eyed and one Jack is one eyed.
Raise- If both Jacks are one eyed.

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And with kings and queens, doesn't this rule work?

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And with kings and queens, doesn't this rule work?
There's only one King that is one-eyed (Kd).
There aren't any one-eyed queens.
You should usually raise if having pocket Kings or Queens unless I'm in the pot, then you fold.

fedkov

fedkov

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting theory. How often does it work as a percentage of pots won?

pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will try to make a few reasonable points on pocket Js first, then let me share the conclusion/strategy I have arrived at:

Any range you are going to get calls from before the flop, will either not get you calls postflop or you will be outdrawn.

If your Jacks stay an overpair, you also likely don't get calls from weaker hands that would have called you, except ATos-QTos if they hit a T.

Hitting another J is Pretty much your only chance to not just win the hand by check-check-check but to also be realistically able to place value bets that can you can expect to be paid by worse.

The problem is, that when that J is the highest card on the board, only slowplayed QQ+ are likely to call your bet.

If there is only one of either A,K or Q, your chances of someone having a combo including that are rather slim, depending on table size.
If there are more broadway cards, you will get called but shouldn't bet because every card that helps you get called will be in a range that gives your opponents a straight.

So basically, if the table is anywhere near tight, I think it is only reasonable to play Js to steal or defend blinds and shove if you are very very shortstacked and there are no imminent price jumps.

My personal, GTO-proof strategy for JJ is as follows:

Toss a coin and instantly fold to any if it's heads. If it's tails, think for a while and fold to any before my timebank is down. If it stands on it's edge, I am commited to put 100% - 1BB of my stack in the pot, press the check/fold button to immediately leave the table, activate pokerstars' permanent self-exclusion feature and always carry a knife around in the future to carve out both of any Jacks' eyes I come across so you won't ever have to play JJ again.

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting Theory, I will have to keep my EYES wide open for them.:eek:

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fortune telling on coffee grounds helps in this situation much better.

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting. It’s creative.